concrete lamposts!

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: concrete lamposts!

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote:I think Hardie have purchased the rights to use it, it was invented in Tameside.
I saw some pictures of these before - they look awful! :no:

The concept is quite clever, and I'm sure they are very cost effective, but unfortunately the result is a streetlight with an incredibly fat base and very little elegance. I don't like them.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:I think Hardie have purchased the rights to use it, it was invented in Tameside.
I saw some pictures of these before - they look awful! :no:

The concept is quite clever, and I'm sure they are very cost effective, but unfortunately the result is a streetlight with an incredibly fat base and very little elegance. I don't like them.
Yes they're not elegant unfortunately. I think, for slightly more money, a tapered column could have been created. With a post top lantern they'd look fairly OK then I guess.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

How about this for a beauty, complete with a period lantern.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

This one is a handsome survivor that must have been overlooked when new lights went in - probably quite a long time ago now. Compared to the lights on that street it looks very small for the type of road it's on.

And New Cross Bus Garage is home to this lonely streetlight, with a gerrymandered fitting for a newer lantern.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Yes, fitting side entry lanterns to a top entry bracket always looks awkward.
Big and complex.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Truvelo wrote:Yes, fitting side entry lanterns to a top entry bracket always looks awkward.
I've seen some that use an elbow pipe join to fit the lantern to the bracket.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Trainfan

Post by Trainfan »

There's an interesting item on one of these "How it's made" type progams, showing concrete column being centrifugally cast whilst also being pre-stressed. From my experience of modern cements used in such a configuration I would be surprised if structural failure was an issue theses days. The same goes for corrosion issues.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Trainfan wrote:There's an interesting item on one of these "How it's made" type progams, showing concrete column being centrifugally cast whilst also being pre-stressed. From my experience of modern cements used in such a configuration I would be surprised if structural failure was an issue theses days. The same goes for corrosion issues.
I think it's a prestige thing nowadays. When councils install street lighting they want it to be shiny and new. Never mind that within a few years it ends up bland and aethetetically questionable like most modern lighting.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

[url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.76619 ... 312!8i6656]These ones were normal black poles but had extra collars bolted on and then painted after installation, the collar at ground level can easily be spotted but the 'detail' where the large diameter changes to small is a bolt on too, I think there's a similar one part way up near the lamp too. The collars were red when installed and painted black afterwards.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

As of 2016, they still seem somewhat common in older residential areas in some places, although there are none that I can think of on any major roads.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I spotted this one recently in Todmorden on my travels in West Yorkshire.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

DavidB wrote:I spotted this one recently in Todmorden on my travels in West Yorkshire.
As I mentioned above Calderdale Council put up a lot of concrete columns, especially in & around Halifax.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

RichardA626 wrote:
DavidB wrote:I spotted this one recently in Todmorden on my travels in West Yorkshire.
As I mentioned above Calderdale Council put up a lot of concrete columns, especially in & around Halifax.
In the 2009 view it had matching lanterns
Big and complex.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

RJDG14 wrote:As of 2016, they still seem somewhat common in older residential areas in some places, although there are none that I can think of on any major roads.
In Middlesbrough and its suburbs there are a few concrete posts which have been sleeved in residential areas such as Acklam but most have been replaced by steel posts. We do have an interesting mix of lantern types from good old fashioned SOX on my street to LED's and every variation in between including some rather unconvincing fake gas lamps on Baker Street in the town centre.
martinyoung91

Post by martinyoung91 »

https://goo.gl/maps/V8UxTLVVKyP2

There use to be hundreds, if not thousands, of these 8M CU concrete columns in Belfast. Ironically this example out of only 2 or 3 survivors is directly behind the Transport NI Headquarters building !
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Can't say I've seen many (if any) recently. They seem to be most common in post-war housing areas.
If I'm honest, the apparent disappearance of such lampposts doesn't bother me in the slightest. They're a bit of an eyesore.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's a nice example here of an Alpha 3 which has been adapted to fit the top entry bracket. I wonder if it has been dayburning continuously since the June 2014 image?
Big and complex.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Truvelo wrote:There's a nice example here of an Alpha 3 which has been adapted to fit the top entry bracket. I wonder if it has been dayburning continuously since the June 2014 image?
I posted that near the top of this page :)

On Latham's Way in Croydon, safely behind the boundary fence of an electricity substation, two curved top-entry lights are still standing, though I doubt either of them have worked for many years.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Chris5156 wrote:
Truvelo wrote:There's a nice example here of an Alpha 3 which has been adapted to fit the top entry bracket. I wonder if it has been dayburning continuously since the June 2014 image?
I posted that near the top of this page :)
Maybe I should have looked through the older posts first. I just clocked it driving past the other day.
Chris5156 wrote:On Latham's Way in Croydon, safely behind the boundary fence of an electricity substation, two curved top-entry lights are still standing, though I doubt either of them have worked for many years.
The closest one doesn't look as though it will stand for much longer. That is perhaps one of the best examples of spalling I have seen.
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Here's a nice one with a curved top:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.83729 ... 312!8i6656

I believe this has a mercury domed lantern when installed, and has got a sodium rectangular bulb in it in this photo.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps