OS Quarter Inch annual revisions

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: OS Quarter Inch annual revisions

Post by Steven » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39

Andy P wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 13:26
I have an OS Quarter Inch map in my possession.

It is Sheet 11 England South and covers the area between Cardiff, Reading, Sidmouth & Portsmouth.

It is described as Third Edition (New Series) and has the following dates:
Published 1919
Minor corrections 1928
Railways inserted to 1925
Roads revised to September 1926

The main map does not include road numbers.

However (and very strangely in my view) the booklet includes town plans of Basingstoke, Andover, Reading and Newbury, dated 1933, and with road numbers.
Road numbers first appeared on the Quarter Inch map within the Third Edition, but these sheets can easily be spotted by the sheet numbers being suffixed with an "A". The ones before are slightly too old for Maps as it stands, given we have tons of mapping to put up that's after that date. However, we do have a selection of OS Town Plans, and I don't think any of the above list are on there - so they'd be really good to have.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven » Tue Feb 05, 2019 21:16

After a small false start yesterday, Sheet 8 (Solway Firth) Revision C/ has been uploaded and is now available.

Originally this was placed onto a layer by itself as the only available Quarter Inch map from 1972. However, upon completing the uploading process, it occurred to me that by 1972 the entire M6 through Westmorland and Cumberland was open (yes, yes, yes, pedants, other than the Cumberland Gap...); and it is nowhere to be seen on this map revision, not even as "under construction", hence it was taken back offline at that point.

I checked with the fountain of all knowledge on these issues (thanks Lez!) whereupon it was discovered that the publication list showing it as being published in March 1972 was incorrect, and it was actually published in June 1971. However, that still doesn't solve the M6 problem, as at June 1971, the entire Westmorland stretch was open, as was the Penrith and Carlisle bypasses, with the only missing section being that between J41 and J42. Indeed, the Penrith Bypass opened as early as November 1968, some two and a half years before the map was published!

Looking once again at the original source map, there is a small annotation at the bottom stating that the revision date was in fact 1968, meaning that for some reason the OS didn't publish the map for quite some time after the revision - so it was miles out of date before it hit the shops!

The usual practice on SABRE Maps is to put map revisions (where possible) on the annual layer corresponding to the publication year, but in this case that would make no sense at all when comparing against the reality at that date, so instead it is on the 1968 layer matching the revision date, which also matches the missing M6 - well, until the November anyway!

(and as it happens, the tiles which show the area where the M6 is end up coming from Sheet 9, so it's all a little moot anyway...)
Steven

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven » Tue Feb 05, 2019 21:38

And now it can be compared against Sheet 8 (Solway Firth) Revision C//*, which actually does show all the relevant parts of the M6, and can be found on the newly created 1972 layer.

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, the pipeline for Quarter Inch Fifth Series mapping is now empty, so short of anyone donating map scans for SABRE, there will be no more Quarter Inch Fifth Series mapping for the rest of the year.
Steven

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo » Fri May 24, 2019 18:53

Steven wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 21:16
The 1970 layer has now been added, but unfortunately there is only a single map that is both not in copyright, and is available to use:

Sheet 13 (The Midlands) Revision C/*

There are a few obvious changes - the M6 is now open between J9 and J10, whilst the rest of the Midlands Links right across to the M1 is now shown as under construction, along with the A38(M) and a great chunk of the M5 south of M50.
I've just spotted something else related to this map. It shows Essington Services as proposed. I had the impression the decision to build Hilton Park instead had already been made by then.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.