OS 1:250k OpenData - A859

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

dprior7770

OS 1:250k OpenData - A859

Post by dprior7770 »

I am continually surprised to see the OS 1:250k OpenData mapping showing the A859 just north of Clisham/An Cliseam, by Aird a' Mhulaidh, as S1, right up to the 2021 edition. As I understand, Western Isles Council widened this stretch to double-track online around 2006-07, the last piece of single track of the Lewis/Harris spine road between Stornoway and Tarbert. When I drove this in 2018, the stretch of road was S2 (and I have the dashcam footage to verify!).

A simple mistake, or a copyright trap?
swissferry

Re: OS 1:250k OpenData - A859

Post by swissferry »

Holidayed regularly in the Western Isles in the past. The S1 road was twisty and hilly. For a number of years there was a sudden change from S2 to S1 where the southbound lane ended just over a brow of a hill with a nastily located boulder.

I believe the last S1 stretch was removed sometime between Aug 2002 and Nov 2003.

In Nov 2003 I was staying in Carloway, Lewis. There was freezing rain on the Sunday night. The roads were covered with a sheet of ice. Walking back to the croft from church I couldn't even walk up more than a gentle slope. I was booked on the dawn ferry from Tarbert. I had some trepidation regarding the 40-odd mile drive on a dark, unfenced (think sheep), twisty, relative unfamiliar, hilly road which was covered in ice - particularly the S1 stretch. Left Carloway very early but the ice had melted and the S1 stretch was now S2. Ended up with a very long wait for the ferry.

Think I would have said the road was widened to S2 partially online. The S2 rarely deviates far from where the S1 was. But it is a lot straighter and leveller. Much of the S1 is still visible.

The road remains stunning, but then that can be said about almost any stretch of road in Harris.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: OS 1:250k OpenData - A859

Post by Steven »

dprior7770 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 A simple mistake, or a copyright trap?
I suspect just a mistake, but it is an interesting one!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!