OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

rileyrob wrote:Thanks for all your work on this Steven, it is greatly appreciated. Shame about the 50 year Copyright rule though, as we need to roll forward a decade or so before the Lochinver roads got upgraded!
You're more than welcome Rob - in fact, have another map!

Given you've mentioned that the Sheet 36 (Fort Augustus) on the full layer is one of yours and is therefore the A revision, I've added Revision A/* onto the 1961 One Inch layer - featuring a diverted A87 and some damming action...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Newly added - the 1955 layer, with the addition of Sheet 93 (Scarborough) revision A to go along with the 1959 A/ that's on the full Seventh Series layer.

I have to admit - I've played "spot the difference" with the two, and I can't find any! I looked across roads and railways, but came up blank. I did think that it might be something to do with Fylingdales, but I couldn't see anything there.

So there's a challenge for people - what are the revised items?
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote:Newly added - the 1955 layer, with the addition of Sheet 93 (Scarborough) revision A to go along with the 1959 A/ that's on the full Seventh Series layer.

I have to admit - I've played "spot the difference" with the two, and I can't find any! I looked across roads and railways, but came up blank. I did think that it might be something to do with Fylingdales, but I couldn't see anything there.

There's a minor text difference here "on site of hospital"

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4,-0.43595,
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote:
Steven wrote:Newly added - the 1955 layer, with the addition of Sheet 93 (Scarborough) revision A to go along with the 1959 A/ that's on the full Seventh Series layer.

There's a minor text difference here "on site of hospital"

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4,-0.43595,
At least that's something - it was starting to really do my head in. I even asked my wife to start playing along...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

One more new sheet today:

1963 layer - Sheet 76 Carlisle (Revision B), to go with the revision A or A/ that we have on the Seventh Series layer. I've tried to work out which one it is, but irritatingly all of the railway station closures fall outside the useful date range.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Steven wrote:One more new sheet today:

1963 layer - Sheet 76 Carlisle (Revision B), to go with the revision A or A/ that we have on the Seventh Series layer. I've tried to work out which one it is, but irritatingly all of the railway station closures fall outside the useful date range.
The road network around Penrith is fascinating. No M6 of course, and no Kemplay Roundabout. The A66 terminates in the town centre, with the A594 continuing west of Penrith through Greystoke. The B5288 follows roughly the line of the current A592 and A66 up to Penruddock, and the B5320 and A592 will eventually swap routes when the A66 dual carriageway is built to the west of Penrith. There is also a typographical error; the A592 between Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge is marked as the A595.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:The road network around Penrith is fascinating. No M6 of course, and no Kemplay Roundabout. The A66 terminates in the town centre, with the A594 continuing west of Penrith through Greystoke. The B5288 follows roughly the line of the current A592 and A66 up to Penruddock, and the B5320 and A592 will eventually swap routes when the A66 dual carriageway is built to the west of Penrith. There is also a typographical error; the A592 between Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge is marked as the A595.
It's amazing how much changes in relatively small places where if someone isn't that familiar they might think that not a lot has changed. Just flipping between the different map layers sometimes is a real education - I'm looking closely at maps of parts of the country I'm not particularly familiar with to make sure that everything lines up properly, and every so often I come across a real "wow" map - the Fort Augustus one the other day was one for me.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And this morning's additions are:

1961 Sheet 96 (Bradford and Leeds) Revision B
1967 Sheet 90 (Wensleydale) Revision B/*

I've also fixed the problem where the 1967 Blackburn and Burnley sheet was actually missing the whole of Blackburn.... :oops:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

One for this evening:

1964 layer - Sheet 30 (Banff) Revision A/.

EDIT:
And also

1963 layer - Sheet 48 (Loch Tay) Revision A//
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Maps maps maps. What a lot of maps.

To paraphrase Michael Caine in the awful (and literal) "B" movie The Swarm.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Steven wrote:
Robert Kilcoyne wrote:The road network around Penrith is fascinating. No M6 of course, and no Kemplay Roundabout. The A66 terminates in the town centre, with the A594 continuing west of Penrith through Greystoke. The B5288 follows roughly the line of the current A592 and A66 up to Penruddock, and the B5320 and A592 will eventually swap routes when the A66 dual carriageway is built to the west of Penrith. There is also a typographical error; the A592 between Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge is marked as the A595.
It's amazing how much changes in relatively small places where if someone isn't that familiar they might think that not a lot has changed. Just flipping between the different map layers sometimes is a real education - I'm looking closely at maps of parts of the country I'm not particularly familiar with to make sure that everything lines up properly, and every so often I come across a real "wow" map - the Fort Augustus one the other day was one for me.
Unless it is Blackburn, which has had barely any noticable network changes at One Inch or 50:000 scale (barring the M65).
Bryn

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Steven wrote:It's amazing how much changes in relatively small places where if someone isn't that familiar they might think that not a lot has changed. Just flipping between the different map layers sometimes is a real education - I'm looking closely at maps of parts of the country I'm not particularly familiar with to make sure that everything lines up properly, and every so often I come across a real "wow" map - the Fort Augustus one the other day was one for me.
I've just been looking at this again, and something that I never noticed before has come to my attention. The seventh series base layer shows the roads before the Cluanie Dam was built - nearly. The new road above the loch is shown as under construction, even if the Loch Loyne Diversion hasn't made it on to the map, but if you look really hard, comparing with the 1961 revision and the MOT map, you will also notice that the A887 (as was) has already been diverted to allow the Cluanie Dam to be constructed. This includes a tie in back to the old road west of the dam (614ft spot height) which would have only served for a year or two at most. There is no evidence of this tie-in visible on Google Maps.

The 1961 revision also explains a mystery which we discussed on the road trip way back in 2010 - the new road is shown as being single track, even though the largely contemporary Loch Loyne Diversion is full S2. This explains the numerous abandoned loops, many with bridges, along a road that was built in the mid 50s. Surely that must have been one of the most short sighted endeavours ever, unless it was completed before the Loch Loyne project was confirmed - I think this very unlikely given the tight timeframes. However, as the road west of Lundie has less evidence of a double upgrade, I wonder what the next sheet across shows?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Post-war skintness probably; even in the mid-50s I suspect a single track road was sufficient until funding became available to do a proper job later?
Bryn

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And today's Map of the Day is on the 1962 One Inch layer - it's Sheet 52 (Loch Awe), Revision A//.

That makes 18 either new or updated One Inch maps since the uploads started on 3 Feb.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Map of the Day for today is a new revision of Sheet 96 (Leeds and Bradford). It's the C revision from 1966, which brings that annual layer online within Maps.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I've also fixed a couple more map boundaries.

The 1957 Sheet 109 (Chester), and the 1962 Sheet 144 (Cheltenham and Evesham) were missing large areas on their individual annual layers due to them using the same boundaries as on the Seventh Series overall layer - so where two maps overlapped obviously Ritchie had to choose one or the other to show. I've changed the boundaries used by Maps to show the entire sheets.

This has therefore revealed large parts of the Wirral previously hidden that are on the Chester sheet, and a small part of M5 and M50 on the Cheltenham and Evesham sheet; neither of which has ever appeared before on SABRE Maps.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And for today, we have on the 1967 layer, Sheet 97 (York) revision B/*. This one includes LOTS of changes along the A1 from the extant 1960 revision on the Seventh Series layer.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Steven wrote:And for today, we have on the 1967 layer, Sheet 97 (York) revision B/*. This one includes LOTS of changes along the A1 from the extant 1960 revision on the Seventh Series layer.
Ferrybridge looks a bit lonely without any road improvement!
Bryn

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Map of the Day is from 1961 - it's sheet 100 (Liverpool), Revision B. It matches up nicely with sheet 101 (Manchester) from the same year and is the last set of maps published before the M6 opened in the area in 1963.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

On the 1963 layer, there's now appeared Sheet 109 (Chester) Revision B, to go along with the previous A/ revision given its full extent on the 1957 layer.
Steven
Motorway Historian