1964 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

1964 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Post by Ritchie333 »

Well, I've finally dusted off my SABRE development skills and put up some new mapping which has now gone out of copyright since the project started, courtesy of Steven.

Go to Maps, click "Historic OS Maps", then "1964 Ten Mile". Wow - it's got motorways on it! Who can find interesting new things on it, I wonder?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
rhyds

Re: 1964/5 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Post by rhyds »

We are indeed not worthy of this bountiful gift :D
Built for comfort, not speed.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

Just a quick note, the highest zoom levels haven't finished being generated yet, and may take a few hours before they are available. Won't take that long in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: Now it's all up :D
Last edited by Ritchie333 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
--
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Thanks, Ritchie and Steven! This is great stuff. :)
vlad

Post by vlad »

This is great, although it may cause problems for some of the dates I've estimated. :)

I hadn't realised this section of motorway was so old - and apparently neither did CBRD....
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

vlad wrote:I hadn't realised this section of motorway was so old - and apparently neither did CBRD....
The Motorway Archive lists J15 - J16 as being under construction from 1964 and opened in 1966. It's possible that that bit was more complete looking that the bridge was when the map was published so it got drawn as being open, rather than planned, or maybe it's just a lack of detail and they didn't bother with the dotted markings on such a short bit.
Last edited by Glen on Tue Mar 29, 2016 21:42, edited 3 times in total.
graeme_t

Post by graeme_t »

It's got Sprotborough services marked on A1(M) Doncaster bypass, but they still don't exist 50 years later.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

IAN

Post by IAN »

The Motorway Archive lists J15 - J16 as being under construction from 1964 and opened in 1966. It's possible that that bit was more complete looking that the bridge was when the map was published so it got drawn as being open, rather than planned, or maybe it's just a lack of detail and they didn't bother with the dotted markings on such a short bit.
I wonder if this section was signed as M5 from opening? Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Like it...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

IAN wrote:
A quick search finds that we've discussed this previously in this thread when we concluded it opened no later than May 1964.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Interesting to see how much of the A1 and A74 had been dualled. Surprised to see Ferrybridge to Wetherby still not fully dualled. The cartographers made a hash of the Newark bypass.
Owen
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I think I've got to go and spend some time alone now...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Great stuff!
avtur

Post by avtur »

Following this thread caused me to look a little closer at some of the other maps available.

Looking under the 'historic os map section' I saw the 1:25,000, could anyone give me an estimate of the date this mapping was produced please?

Thanks
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

avtur wrote:Looking under the 'historic os map section' I saw the 1:25,000, could anyone give me an estimate of the date this mapping was produced please?
These maps are hosted by the National Library of Scotland's mapping collection, and date from 1938-61. The original source is here.

It is technically possible to show this data in SABRE Maps, just I haven't entered all the data. However, now I think about it, if a number of willing volunteers came forward, we could get it done far quicker than me working flat out on my own. I need the following information for each sheet:

0 = filename
1 = grid reference of top left hand corner (should be a round number)
2 = grid reference of bottom right hand corner (ditto)
3 = sheet number
4 = sheet name
5 = description
6 = year published

For example, from the 1:25,000 maps :

Code: Select all

TR04.kml,600000:150000,140000:610000,TR04,TR04,1958
(in this example, the sheet number and sheet name are the same)

and from the Seventh Series maps :

Code: Select all

173.kml,610000:173000,641000:128000,173,East Kent,1958
Does that make sense?
--
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA35 wrote:
IAN wrote:
A quick search finds that we've discussed this previously in this thread when we concluded it opened no later than May 1964.
I'm sure I remember us using the Filton by-pass prior to 1969, when CBRD reckons it opened, on our annual journeys to Torquay, where a great-aunt and uncle owned a hotel. We'd have come down the A38 from Tewkesbury, we'd jump onto the M5 for that one junction stretch, then the A4018 to Clifton Down, then Bridge Valley Road to the Portway, then over the Cumnberland Basin bridge (bridge swings permitting) and round to rejoin the A38 for the rest of the trip. I'm also pretty sure it was always signed as M5, and that the A4018 had been extended to meet it from the off, rather than in the 1970s as the SABRE Wiki suggests.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

In terms of actual date, both sheets are of the Route Planning Map 1964 edition (a rebrand of Ten Mile Road Map at the same scale), published in November 1963.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Wow, a twice weekly ferry from Leith to Aberdeen taking 7 hours.

Obviously there were (and still are some) estuarial crossings by ferry, but I didn't realise there was still a mainland to mainland ferry like this running and can't see any other similar services on this map.

I guess the travel time from Edinburgh to Aberdeen by road must have been pretty slow to make this a worthwhile alternative?
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

cb a1 wrote:Obviously there were (and still are some) estuarial crossings by ferry, but I didn't realise there was still a mainland to mainland ferry like this running and can't see any other similar services on this map.
It looks like this may have been a service of what ultimately became P&O Scottish Ferries, but previously the North of Scotland, Orkney & Shetland Steam Navigation Company. Possibly they ran services from Leith to Aberdeen and then onto Kirkwall or Lerwick.

From Lerwick Ferries:
As early as 1736 it was possible to sail from Lerwick to Leith, though the most reliable route was via Hamburg! From 1750s a better service had been established, primarily to export Shetland ponies for use in English coalmines. From 1836 there was a steamer service to Aberdeen, and by 1900 this also linked to Kirkwall and Leith. Until 1901 the population of Shetland relied on the ferry for medical services, being expected to go for any treatment they needed in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.