1964 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: 1964/5 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Post by wrinkly »

The best source for opening dates for motorways and special roads is the notices of opening in the London or Edinburgh Gazettes. They are nearly always reliable and are usually quite explicit about the exact stretch referred to. However there can be difficulties for some non-trunk motorways: for example, uncertainties concerning the (originally non-trunk) M5 Filton bypass are mentioned in the thread linked by RichardA35 above, and I suspect there was no clear notice for the northernmost mile of the M77 (non-trunk because within Glasgow) (which may have opened simultaneously with the eastward M8 but it isn't certain).

Sadly all-purpose roads have no notices of opening in the Gazettes.

I have long been aware of a fairly substantial number of errors in the opening dates in the Motorway Archive and have mentioned some of these from time to time in various threads in British and Irish Roads. I have also included correct dates in cases where I have contributed to Wiki pages.

A few years ago I started a project to compile a more reliable table of opening dates using the Gazettes as almost the only source. I started with motorways in Scotland (on the grounds that it was a more manageable scale of job than England and Wales, and I don't know much about Northern Ireland) and eventually got to the point where I had a list for Scotland that I was satisfied was complete or very nearly so, and much more accurate than the Motorway Archive.

I still have the data on which that list is based but I never got round to putting it into a presentable form. And I never started on a systematic project for England and Wales though I'm still aware of quite a number of errors in the Archive.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wrinkly wrote:I have long been aware of a fairly substantial number of errors in the opening dates in the Motorway Archive and have mentioned some of these from time to time in various threads in British and Irish Roads. I have also included correct dates in cases where I have contributed to Wiki pages.
This is always really useful, and I'm a bit worried that I haven't taken advantage of this and corrected the data on CBRD every single time.
I still have the data on which that list is based but I never got round to putting it into a presentable form. And I never started on a systematic project for England and Wales though I'm still aware of quite a number of errors in the Archive.
It would be really useful to complete this project. Maybe it's something we could crowdsource from the SABRE membership - if you can describe the process for finding and checking dates in the London Gazette, we could ask people to volunteer to collect all the openings for a given year, or for a given route, and post them in a single thread?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Ithink the first step should be for me to make my Scotland data available on SABRE. I'm rather occupied at present but will look at it in a few weeks.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wrinkly wrote:Ithink the first step should be for me to make my Scotland data available on SABRE. I'm rather occupied at present but will look at it in a few weeks.
That would be great! No rush, of course.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

I've got to wait nearly 9 years before 1:50,000 maps start going out of copyright; a month or two is mild by comparison!
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Has anyone else noticed the wierd way that A1(M) is marked on the 1964 (revision A) map?

A1 is written in the "trunk road" style, and the (M) is tacked on in blue "motorway" style.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

SteveA30

Re: 1964 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile / Inch maps

Post by SteveA30 »

If exact opening dates are required, it can get complicated, as these Western Morning News snippets from Devon Archive illustrate. Different dates for each c/way at Willand in July 76.

M3 J8-6 opened on Friday May 28 1971, the rest to J2 on Friday June 18 1971. I have a Basingstoke Gazette cutting for that..... somewhere.
Attachments
M5 news 2.jpg
M5 news 1.jpg
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Chris Bertram wrote:Did anyone else notice that Monmouthshire is part of England on that map? The boundary along the River Rhymney has the +-+-+- marking, while the Wye has ------.
Administratively, Monmouthshire was part of England until 1974 when it was absorbed into Gwent.
Lifelong motorhead