1966 OS Route Planning Map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1966 OS Route Planning Map

Post by Steven »

The 1966 OS Route Planning Map is now available on SABRE Maps. For now, it's the North Sheet only, as I need to get the scans for the South Sheet re-done, but enjoy!

It's available under the "Historic OS Maps" section.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

jgharston

Re: 1966 OS Route Planning Map

Post by jgharston »

Steven wrote:The 1966 OS Route Planning Map is now available on SABRE Maps. For now, it's the North Sheet only, as I need to get the scans for the South Sheet re-done, but enjoy!
Woo hoo!

I've lost my South Sheet so it will be nice to see it when it gets online. I had carefully highlighted the (pre1974) county boundaries on mine.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

jgharston wrote:I had carefully highlighted the (pre1974) county boundaries on mine.
Have you seen the Historic Counties layer on SABRE Maps?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

owen b

Post by owen b »

Thanks :D . I had a good look at this. Particularly interested in the County Durham area where I grew up, with still remarkably little of the modern road network in place. My early memories are from about 1974/5, by which time the A1(M), A690, most of the A19, Tyne Tunnel and nearby roads, and several of the Washington new town roads were complete, none of which are very far developed on this 1966 map. No A689 across the Pennines. The A594 still extends as far as Penrith, and there's a glaring mistake : the A693 at Ambleside. No M6, no completed M74, much of the A74 still not dualled, very little other complete motorway in Scotland. And also interesting to see how many S1 A roads there are still in Scotland.
Owen