Open Street map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos
Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 19:28

Re: Open Street map

Post by roadphotos » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18

I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.

roadphotos
Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 19:28

Re: Open Street map

Post by roadphotos » Wed Jul 22, 2020 19:37

OpenStreetMap still shows the B1228 between Howden and the A63 at Knedlington but I believe the road has been downgraded and is now an unclassified minor road. All up to date maps now show the road as unclassified and the road number has been removed from the sign on the A63 at Knedlington.

User avatar
Stevie D
Active Member
Posts: 7928
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 17:19
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Open Street map

Post by Stevie D » Wed Jul 22, 2020 20:38

The great thing about OpenStreetmap is that if you see something that is wrong then you can change it.

User avatar
SouthWest Philip
Member
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 19:35
Location: Evesham, Worcestershire

Re: Open Street map

Post by SouthWest Philip » Wed Jul 22, 2020 21:35

roadphotos wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18
I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.
The most recent OS maps also indicate the dead end to Redwick/New Passage is now unclassified.

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 17493
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Open Street map

Post by Steven » Wed Jul 22, 2020 21:51

SouthWest Philip wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 21:35
roadphotos wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18
I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.
The most recent OS maps also indicate the dead end to Redwick/New Passage is now unclassified.
At which scale? It shows it that way on the latest Landranger coverage and on June 2020 1:250k OpenData, but it's still there on every other scale I can find - latest Explorer, May 2020 VectorMap District, and all the other current OS Maps API layers.
Steven

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!


roadphotos
Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 19:28

Re: Open Street map

Post by roadphotos » Sat Jul 25, 2020 23:49

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like part of the B1013 near Southend Airport and an unclassified minor road are both shown as an 'A Road' on OpenStreetMap

User avatar
dereer
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 18:51
Location: County Monaghan, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Open Street map

Post by dereer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:32

According to the Classification of Regional Roads Order 2012, the R184 starts on the N2 at Kilcrow, where there is a roundabout. The signs on the N2 bypass also agree with this.
r184 osm.PNG
r184 osm.PNG (13.09 KiB) Viewed 914 times
However, on the Monaghan County Council KML file showing all of the local roads in the county, the section between the roundabout and old N2 (L3444/L3445) is shown as part of the R184, despite it being downgraded by the government after the construction of the bypass. The signs on the old N2 also suggest that the road starts there.
R184 or not..PNG
EDIT: confusingly National Roads and Local Roads are both green, but Regional Roads are orange.

What would be the ideal way to map this? Google Maps shows it as part of the R184, but they don't tend to be very accurate in ters of road numbers.
Please excuse my old posts. I was 11.
A road to nowhere is as useful as no road at all!
My travelled roads can be found here.
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets them." - Jeremy Clarkson

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Open Street map

Post by c2R » Sun Aug 16, 2020 13:24

OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.

I suspect though the old leftover signs should be ignored - as has been done with the N1 through Drogheda.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

User avatar
dereer
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 18:51
Location: County Monaghan, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Open Street map

Post by dereer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 14:06

c2R wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 13:24
OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.

I suspect though the old leftover signs should be ignored - as has been done with the N1 through Drogheda.
What should I mark it as? Considering it doesn't have a local number but is not part of the R184 from a national standpoint and ends on a local road.
Please excuse my old posts. I was 11.
A road to nowhere is as useful as no road at all!
My travelled roads can be found here.
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets them." - Jeremy Clarkson

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Open Street map

Post by c2R » Sun Aug 16, 2020 14:38

I'd probably leave it as is - a tertiary road with no number. At some point someone will probably come and put up an L number... Or maybe it'll remain anomalous forever.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

User avatar
Stevie D
Active Member
Posts: 7928
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 17:19
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Open Street map

Post by Stevie D » Sun Aug 16, 2020 15:38

c2R wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 13:24
OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.
OSM Policy is to mark roads and other features by the primary evidence available – that would mean either updated signs or official council/government documentation to indicate a change, that's standard and not specific to Ireland. Secondary evidence such as other maps that are under copyright is not sufficient.

User avatar
dereer
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 18:51
Location: County Monaghan, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Open Street map

Post by dereer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 09:59

It appears that primary A-roads in Northern Ireland that are not part of its trunk roads have been marked primary. This seems to be an error, as a road being trunk does not properly indicate its importance.
Please excuse my old posts. I was 11.
A road to nowhere is as useful as no road at all!
My travelled roads can be found here.
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets them." - Jeremy Clarkson

roadphotos
Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 19:28

Re: Open Street map

Post by roadphotos » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42

Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.

User avatar
jervi
Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Lincoln / Haywards Heath

Re: Open Street map

Post by jervi » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15

roadphotos wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42
Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.
It was changed 10 months ago on the map. Apparently the road number has changed along with signage.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/83755602

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Open Street map

Post by c2R » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:32

jervi wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15
roadphotos wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42
Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.
It was changed 10 months ago on the map. Apparently the road number has changed along with signage.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/83755602
I was last there 12 months ago and there weren't any signs then; it does make sense for it to be a primary class I connection though, as it effectively links the south of gloucester to the motorway network!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 17493
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Open Street map

Post by Steven » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:58

It's been primary for a couple of years now according to OS mapping. You can see this on the 1:250k sheets available on SABRE Maps; although the OS think it's a spur from the A38.
Steven

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!


User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13194
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Open Street map

Post by Chris Bertram » Thu Feb 11, 2021 13:13

Steven wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:58
It's been primary for a couple of years now according to OS mapping. You can see this on the 1:250k sheets available on SABRE Maps; although the OS think it's a spur from the A38.
It's always been signed from M5 as (A38), never as B4008, even after the junction was modified to become full access, allowing travel via Stonehouse towards Stroud.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

User avatar
A42_Sparks
Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 23:20
Location: Ballymena, N Ireland

Re: Open Street map

Post by A42_Sparks » Fri Feb 12, 2021 20:26

In Northern Ireland there are three main mountainous areas: the Mournes, the Sperrins and the Antrim hills.

I've noticed on OpenStreetMap that the summit heights given for the Antrim hills are all wrong. They're all listed as being about 10%-12% higher than they are in reality. Here are some examples:

Trostan is 550m high but OSM says 603m.
Slievenanee 543m, OSM says 596m.
Slemish 437m, OSM says 490m.

I checked the Mournes and the Sperrins and the OSM summit heights are the same as the real heights. I don't know how to edit OSM myself to fix this issue but it needs fixing.

User avatar
Big L
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 5389
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 20:36
Location: B5012

Re: Open Street map

Post by Big L » Fri Feb 12, 2021 20:38

Is it a metres/yards snafu?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

User avatar
A42_Sparks
Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 23:20
Location: Ballymena, N Ireland

Re: Open Street map

Post by A42_Sparks » Fri Feb 12, 2021 21:45

Big L wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 20:38
Is it a metres/yards snafu?
Possibly. The difference between yards and metres is about 9% I think? Some of the summit heights are 12% higher than reality.

The fact that all summits in this area alone seem to be affected does suggest some kind of data input/algorithm error.

Post Reply