Open Street map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Re: Open Street map

Post by roadphotos »

I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

OpenStreetMap still shows the B1228 between Howden and the A63 at Knedlington but I believe the road has been downgraded and is now an unclassified minor road. All up to date maps now show the road as unclassified and the road number has been removed from the sign on the A63 at Knedlington.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

The great thing about OpenStreetmap is that if you see something that is wrong then you can change it.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.
The most recent OS maps also indicate the dead end to Redwick/New Passage is now unclassified.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 21:35
roadphotos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 I think the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 incorrectly. This 'B Road' starts at the B4055 in the village of Pilning and passes over the M49 and ends in the village of Severn Beach but the OpenStreetMap shows the B4064 continuing through Severn Beach to the A403 south of the village which I believe to be incorrect. Also the other arm of the B4064 that goes over the M4 at Redwick to end at New Passage is not shown as the B4064 on the OpenStreetMap.
The most recent OS maps also indicate the dead end to Redwick/New Passage is now unclassified.
At which scale? It shows it that way on the latest Landranger coverage and on June 2020 1:250k OpenData, but it's still there on every other scale I can find - latest Explorer, May 2020 VectorMap District, and all the other current OS Maps API layers.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like part of the B1013 near Southend Airport and an unclassified minor road are both shown as an 'A Road' on OpenStreetMap
dereer

Post by dereer »

According to the Classification of Regional Roads Order 2012, the R184 starts on the N2 at Kilcrow, where there is a roundabout. The signs on the N2 bypass also agree with this.
r184 osm.PNG
r184 osm.PNG (13.09 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
However, on the Monaghan County Council KML file showing all of the local roads in the county, the section between the roundabout and old N2 (L3444/L3445) is shown as part of the R184, despite it being downgraded by the government after the construction of the bypass. The signs on the old N2 also suggest that the road starts there.
R184 or not..PNG
EDIT: confusingly National Roads and Local Roads are both green, but Regional Roads are orange.

What would be the ideal way to map this? Google Maps shows it as part of the R184, but they don't tend to be very accurate in ters of road numbers.
it/he/they | aka computerfan0
My travelled roads can be found here.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.

I suspect though the old leftover signs should be ignored - as has been done with the N1 through Drogheda.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
dereer

Post by dereer »

c2R wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 13:24 OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.

I suspect though the old leftover signs should be ignored - as has been done with the N1 through Drogheda.
What should I mark it as? Considering it doesn't have a local number but is not part of the R184 from a national standpoint and ends on a local road.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'd probably leave it as is - a tertiary road with no number. At some point someone will probably come and put up an L number... Or maybe it'll remain anomalous forever.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

c2R wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 13:24 OSM Policy in Ireland appears to be to mark the roads as they appear on signage on the ground, e.g. N52 from Ardee to Dundalk.
OSM Policy is to mark roads and other features by the primary evidence available – that would mean either updated signs or official council/government documentation to indicate a change, that's standard and not specific to Ireland. Secondary evidence such as other maps that are under copyright is not sufficient.
dereer

Post by dereer »

It appears that primary A-roads in Northern Ireland that are not part of its trunk roads have been marked primary. This seems to be an error, as a road being trunk does not properly indicate its importance.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.
jervi

Post by jervi »

roadphotos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.
It was changed 10 months ago on the map. Apparently the road number has changed along with signage.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/83755602
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

jervi wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15
roadphotos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 Open Street Map appears to show the road at junction 12 of the M5 as being the A430. Is this an error or a recent change ?. I had always thought that the only road at the junction was the B4008.
It was changed 10 months ago on the map. Apparently the road number has changed along with signage.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/83755602
I was last there 12 months ago and there weren't any signs then; it does make sense for it to be a primary class I connection though, as it effectively links the south of gloucester to the motorway network!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

It's been primary for a couple of years now according to OS mapping. You can see this on the 1:250k sheets available on SABRE Maps; although the OS think it's a spur from the A38.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:58 It's been primary for a couple of years now according to OS mapping. You can see this on the 1:250k sheets available on SABRE Maps; although the OS think it's a spur from the A38.
It's always been signed from M5 as (A38), never as B4008, even after the junction was modified to become full access, allowing travel via Stonehouse towards Stroud.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

In Northern Ireland there are three main mountainous areas: the Mournes, the Sperrins and the Antrim hills.

I've noticed on OpenStreetMap that the summit heights given for the Antrim hills are all wrong. They're all listed as being about 10%-12% higher than they are in reality. Here are some examples:

Trostan is 550m high but OSM says 603m.
Slievenanee 543m, OSM says 596m.
Slemish 437m, OSM says 490m.

I checked the Mournes and the Sperrins and the OSM summit heights are the same as the real heights. I don't know how to edit OSM myself to fix this issue but it needs fixing.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Is it a metres/yards snafu?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Big L wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 20:38 Is it a metres/yards snafu?
Possibly. The difference between yards and metres is about 9% I think? Some of the summit heights are 12% higher than reality.

The fact that all summits in this area alone seem to be affected does suggest some kind of data input/algorithm error.