"Traffic Counts" on the Sabre Maps

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

CrazyInWeston

"Traffic Counts" on the Sabre Maps

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Apologies as this has been probs asked many times before, but how do I read the line graphs on Sabre Maps with Traffic counts on and clicking on them.

I can understand the numbers to the left as thats vehicle count, its the numbers along the bottom that confound me. I had wild theories to "oh the hour" of the day to "ahh must mean for that year" and that we are 4yrs late to get freedom of information reports. However, if was years, why sudden spikes or sudden dips in traffic and if hours, I cant fathom 10k cars more more at 2am in a place I know to be fairly quiet at that time.

Thanks.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Re: "Traffic Counts" on the Sabre Maps

Post by RichardA35 »

The x axis is years (generally missing the prefix 20 from the actual year)
The traffic in a year on any section is quite variable depending upon, for instance, the state of the economy or the presence of any roadworks on the section concerned or adjacent (esp noticeable around Birmingham box).
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The numbers along the bottom are years, extending from 2000 to 2015. The data was collated and uploaded in the first half of 2016, so at that time it was the most up to date, and we are only missing last years data at present.

I'm not sure where you are looking and seeing the dips and spikes, but I know that up here in the Highlands, they are related to major construction projects (Beauly - Denny Power Line; Hydro schemes, etc), and also variations in tourist traffic year by year. I believe that much of the raw data is collected in March, and it could be that the movement of Easter has an effect as well. Whilst I'm not aware of any major construction projects around Weston (Hinkley C is probably too recent for the data), the tourism effect may play a significant part in the variations.

(I see Richard has made similar comments!)
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Thanks for your replies, this thread topic may be closed now.