Towns changing names

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4Simon

Re: Towns changing names

Post by M4Simon »

trickstat wrote:As an aside, if, someone from, for example, Stevenage, says that something is in "Welwyn" or "they are going to Welwyn" tomorrow, they usually actually mean Welwyn Garden City. The (smaller) town of Welwyn itself tends to be referred to as "Old Welwyn".
trickstat wrote:As an aside, if, someone from, for example, Stevenage, says that something is in "Welwyn" or "they are going to Welwyn" tomorrow, they usually actually mean Welwyn Garden City. The (smaller) town of Welwyn itself tends to be referred to as "Old Welwyn".
Welwyn is increasingly known (by people outside the village) as Old Welwyn, but most residents of the village nearly always talk about Welwyn (or The Village). The town across the motorway which people from Stevenage might call Welwyn, is variously known as Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn Garden, The Garden City (haven't heard that one for some time) or, when writing in a hurry, WGC.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

FosseWay wrote:
This was what I meant when I said I was surprised Kaliningrad had retained its name throughout. He was associated with Stalin's regime and therefore the town would have been a candidate for renaming after 1953, and again after the fall of Communism since he appears (from his WP entry) to simply have been a Soviet functionary/leader, and not a national hero like Zhukov.
Mikhail Kalinin was not a Stalinist. He was one of the early Bolsheviks but seen as a moderate as he advocated cooperation with non Bolshevik elements after the first revolution in 1917, remember there were two that year, the first overthrew the Tsar and the second kicked out the Social Democrats.

After the revolution Kalinin initially supported Stalin to replace Lenin but was never active in the Stalinist government and basically was retained as a figurehead. In practise he rarely left his Dacha and kept his head down. He was used by Stalin as a front man. To assure his cooperation his wife was sent to a camp basically acting as a hostage for his behaviour and he was constantly watched by the secret police. He died in 1946 at which time he was regarded as something of an elder statesman who had managed to keep his hands clean and avoid being sent to the camps or worse. Considering that the other old Bolsheviks either became part of Stalin's regime or were executed that was quite an achievement.

As to why the city was not renamed it is useful to read what Khruschev said of him.
Memoirs of Nikita Khrushchev wrote: I don't know what practical work Kalinin carried out under Lenin. But under Stalin he was the nominal signatory of all decrees, while in reality he rarely took part in government business. Sometimes he was made a member of a commission, but people didn't take his opinion into account very much. It was embarrassing for us to see this; one simply felt sorry for Mikhail Ivanovich
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Damhead became Glenfarg with the arrival of the railway.

Windermere has a complicated history - the part on the lake shore is Bowness-on-Windermere. The rest of it was at one time Birthwaite, becoming Windermere with the arrival of the railway (these railways have a lot to answer for).

Not a town, but at one time there was a farm in the Borders called Clartyhole (clarty = dirty or muddy). Sir Walter Scott, seeking a country residence, built a grand house on the site and decided Abbotsford was a more genteel name.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

jedikiah wrote:Belton was renamed Belton-in-Rutland in 1982 to distinguish the village from the other Belton in Leicestershire. Now it is back in Rutland (or maybe Rutland is back) it is a bit redundant.
Braunston, near Oakham, became Braunston-in-Rutland mostly because emergency services were ending up at Braunstone (Leicester).
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Reading

Post by Reading »

REading is Redding on an old map in the Museum and Earley station (1 stop down the Waterloo line from Reading) in next to Erlegh but previously known as Little Hungerford (owing to the woods next to it having been owned by an Earl of Hungerford and called Little Hungerford plantation) which is still the name of this Electricity Substation just East of the A329 adjacent to it - https://goo.gl/maps/MJooM48d1JE2
Last edited by Reading on Tue Nov 07, 2017 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Reading wrote:REading is Redding on an old map in the Museum and Earley station (1 stop down the Waterloo line from Reading) in next to Erleigh but previously known as Little Hungerford (owing to the woods next to it having been owned by an Earl of Hungerford and called Little Hungerford plantation) which is still the name of this Electricity Substation just East of the A329 adjacent to it - https://goo.gl/maps/MJooM48d1JE2
I think we've covered changes in spelling earlier. Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire has a railway station called "Whittlesea", remembering an earlier spelling. And there are hundreds of other examples.

But it's not always *adding* elements to placenames. Sometimes elements disappear. The Metropolitan Line has a station called Chalfont and Latimer. The Chalfont element covers a number of villages with that name in the valley of the River Misbourne, some with different dedications to the saints of the parish churches. But the Latimer part refers to a village once called "Isenhampstead Latimer", with "Latimer" being what is termed a "manorial affix", naming the family that formerly owned the manor. Nearby is the village of Chenies, which was also once "Isenhampstead Chenies". In both cases, the substantive part of the name has fallen out of use, leaving only the manorial affix.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Dumbarton; at some time got corrupted from Dunbarton (or even Dùn Breatann if you go back far enough). Oddly, the shire was also Dumbartonshire at one point before being amended.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Reading wrote:REading is Redding on an old map in the Museum and Earley station (1 stop down the Waterloo line from Reading) in next to Erleigh but previously known as Little Hungerford (owing to the woods next to it having been owned by an Earl of Hungerford and called Little Hungerford plantation) which is still the name of this Electricity Substation just East of the A329 adjacent to it - https://goo.gl/maps/MJooM48d1JE2
I think we've covered changes in spelling earlier. Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire has a railway station called "Whittlesea", remembering an earlier spelling. And there are hundreds of other examples.

But it's not always *adding* elements to placenames. Sometimes elements disappear. The Metropolitan Line has a station called Chalfont and Latimer. The Chalfont element covers a number of villages with that name in the valley of the River Misbourne, some with different dedications to the saints of the parish churches. But the Latimer part refers to a village once called "Isenhampstead Latimer", with "Latimer" being what is termed a "manorial affix", naming the family that formerly owned the manor. Nearby is the village of Chenies, which was also once "Isenhampstead Chenies". In both cases, the substantive part of the name has fallen out of use, leaving only the manorial affix.
Incidentally, Chorleywood station was called 'Chorley Wood and Chenies' between 1915 and 1934.
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

The one that gets me is people around Suffolk and Cambrigeshire and their strange habit of travelling all the way to Lancashire for things like shopping trips, hospital appointments, nights out... I have relatives around there and every time I go to visit I hear someone talking about their latest excursion to Bury for something most people wouldn't travel 200 miles for. I'm waiting to meet the one who set off for Lancashire on a snowy night, got 20 miles and exclaimed "God, Manchester is a long way"- then named the location Godmanchester before turning back and going to Bury St Edmunds instead. :laugh:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Ambosc79 wrote:The one that gets me is people around Suffolk and Cambrigeshire and their strange habit of travelling all the way to Lancashire for things like shopping trips, hospital appointments, nights out... I have relatives around there and every time I go to visit I hear someone talking about their latest excursion to Bury for something most people wouldn't travel 200 miles for. I'm waiting to meet the one who set off for Lancashire on a snowy night, got 20 miles and exclaimed "God, Manchester is a long way"- then named the location Godmanchester before turning back and going to Bury St Edmunds instead. :laugh:
The Bury in Suffolk is pronounced "Berry". The one in Lancashire/Gtr Manchester (take your pick) is pronounced "Burreh" by locals, and only the BBC call it "Berry" when reading out the footy results.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

Hazel Grove was called Bullock Smithy 1836! "this name was unpopular with its residents and so the settlement was renamed Hazel Grove, possibly due to the large number of hazel trees found in the locale, though more probably from a small hamlet towards High Lane called Hessel Grave"
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

poshbakerloo wrote:Hazel Grove was called Bullock Smithy 1836! "this name was unpopular with its residents and so the settlement was renamed Hazel Grove, possibly due to the large number of hazel trees found in the locale, though more probably from a small hamlet towards High Lane called Hessel Grave"
Ah, that explains the pub name.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Isleworth1961 wrote:Bristolians often use these local abbreviations: Briz (Brislington), Bemmy (Bedminster), Stoke Bish(op), Shire(hampton)...
As I understand it, Bristol itself has been Brigstocke, Brigstowe, Brigstow and Bristow before reaching its current spelling as a result of the area's distinct dialect.

And Brizzle, of course.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Hucknall lost its Torkard in 1915...
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Middlesbrough drop the o sometime,

On a similar thread Hampshire dropped the prefix South, mainly to stop Southampton claiming "county town" status AFAIK.
B1040 wrote:Letchworth has become Letchworth Garden City.
It was always officially Letchworth Garden City, in the same way Hull is officially Kingston upon Hull. In the run up to the centenary (in 2003) the heritage foundation ran a very successful campaign to use the full name when referring to the town.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

JohnnyMo wrote:Middlesbrough drop the o sometime,
Don't know about that - the "-brough" spelling is quite common in northern England, e.g. Conisbrough, Kexbrough and Sprotbrough in South Yorkshire.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

JohnnyMo wrote:On a similar thread Hampshire dropped the prefix South, mainly to stop Southampton claiming "county town" status AFAIK.
I don't think that's right. Officially, up to 1974, Hampshire was the "County of Southampton", so in that sense Southampton was the county town, even though County Hall was (and still is) in Winchester. Similarly, Derby was the titular town of Derbyshire, while County Hall has been in Matlock for quite a while, due to Derby having been a county borough (as Southampton was). Since 1974 the proper names of the counties have included the "-shire" element where applicable.

RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
JohnnyMo wrote:On a similar thread Hampshire dropped the prefix South, mainly to stop Southampton claiming "county town" status AFAIK.
I don't think that's right. Officially, up to 1974, Hampshire was the "County of Southampton", so in that sense Southampton was the county town, even though County Hall was (and still is) in Winchester. Similarly, Derby was the titular town of Derbyshire, while County Hall has been in Matlock for quite a while, due to Derby having been a county borough (as Southampton was). Since 1974 the proper names of the counties have included the "-shire" element where applicable.
Was that also true for Preston being the county town for Lancashire rather than Lancaster?
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Chris Bertram wrote:
I always understood it to be a shortening of "Southamptonshire".
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA626 wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:
Was that also true for Preston being the county town for Lancashire rather than Lancaster?
Lancaster was always the titular county town - it was the County Palatine of Lancaster. County Hall being in Preston was probably a function of where Preston is as compared with Lancaster, it being much more central to the historic county. It was built in 1882, preceding the creation of county councils, and ironically might not have been located in Preston after that, as Preston became a county borough in 1889. If the location of a county hall seems slightly odd, e.g. Beverley for the East Riding, rather than Hull, Wakefield for the West Riding rather than Leeds, then check where the county boroughs were when the county halls were established. Similarly, Leicestershire county hall is in Glenfield, just outside the city of Leicester, and Nottinghamshire county hall is in West Bridgford, across the river from Nottingham itself.