Towns changing names

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
Ambosc79
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 19:04
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Ambosc79 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 00:35

punyXpress wrote:Another 'Stamford Bridge' conundrum:
Just off the ferry at Dover.
" I'm told Leeds Castle is nice"
At least 250 miles and 4 hours later: " where's t'Leeds Cassle? "
2 sailors in 1645:

"New Amsterdam this here cargo is for. Any idea where that be, Cap'n?"
"Must be in New Holland"
"Oh arr, New Holland, where that Tasman fellow went. That's a long old voyage, Capn!"

2 years later
"Found New Amsterdam in that desert?"
"No, Capn, and I ain't found nothing for your scurvy either"
"Any ideas?"
"Could it be in, er, that New Zealand? Ain't they both Dutch provinces or summat?"
"Shiver me old timbers, you're right!"

3 weeks later
"Good news and bad news, Capn"
"What's the good"
"These people give you food if you lay down the musket and let 'em do that funny dance, then rub noses with them. Look, fresh veg!"
"That'll sort me scurvy. What's the bad?"
"They ain't heard of New Amsterdam"
"Wherever can it be?"
"Don't they call it the Spanish Netherlands?"
"I think so, why"
"Could it be in that place all the Spanish go?"
"Peru?"
"That's the place"

3 months later
"Nuevo Amsterdam, señor? No idea. Why don't you try the south of Africa, lots of Holandeses there".
"Muchas gracias. What's that you be eating?"
"Patatas, señor. Take some.."

6 months later
"The Cape of Good Hope, Capn. Hope it's here"
"No, that chap in the clogs said this was called Kaapstad"
"Gazooks. But you know them patatas things?"
"Oh arr"
"Fry em in blubber, cut em in strips and they go darn well with fish"
"Nice. We'll tell all the turnip eaters back home. But what about New Amsterdam?"
"One last place I can think of, Capn"
"Where?"
"Them Dutch East Indies"
"But they be right by New Holland!"

3 months later

"The chap in Java said try Sumatra"
"And the one in Sumatra said try Borneo"
"What we carrying again?"
"Barley, Capn"
"That's round here! That's where it is!

And so ended the first circumnavigation of the world....

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 17430
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Steven » Sat Nov 25, 2017 20:11

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote: You can add to that that Chelsea's ground, Stamford Bridge, is in Hammersmith and Fulham rather than Kensington and Chelsea - though it is *right* on the boundary. Still, you can't force a club to change its name just because it moves ground.
The most famous example of a club now not playing in the city after which the club takes its name is Manchester United; it was formed originally as Newton Heath (within the city boundary) but moved subsequently to Old Trafford (which is part of Stretford and within the boundary of Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council).
And one that people don't realise - Bolton Wanderers haven't played in Bolton for a number of years. The Reebok stadium is in Horwich, which is a clearly separate town. It is however, in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, but as we all know council areas <> towns.
Steven

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!


Robert Kilcoyne
Member
Posts: 966
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:41
Location: Birmingham

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Robert Kilcoyne » Sat Nov 25, 2017 22:22

Steven wrote:
And one that people don't realise - Bolton Wanderers haven't played in Bolton for a number of years. The Reebok stadium is in Horwich, which is a clearly separate town. It is however, in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, but as we all know council areas <> towns.
Bolton Wanderers FC has now played at Horwich for 20 years, having played its last match at Burnden Park in 1997. The former Burnden Park Stadium stood between Manchester Road and the A666 St. Peter's Way, but was demolished to make way for a retail park which now includes an Asda superstore.

User avatar
shimtoan
Member
Posts: 1363
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 15:12
Location: Dunkirk, Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Towns changing names

Post by shimtoan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 08:53

ronhale wrote:Grimsby play in Cleethorpes.
and Cleethorpes Town play in Grimsby
wasn't Grimsby called Great Grimsby at one point?
|| DFC latest | MLP | Dunkirk 0-3 South Normanton Ath | 25 3 7 15 26 61 -35 16 | 19 ||

Ginger 11/'12-02/'18 degu;Jordie 04/'05-04/'16 dog;Honey 01/'09-02/'11 mouse;Sam 02/'09-06/'11 gerbil;Jasmine 01/'09-11/'11 mouse;Angel 09/'11-06/'12 mouse;Tibbs 09/'96-09/'12 cat;Shini 02/'09-12/'12 gerbil;Tilly 09/'11-02/'13 mouse;Pip 09/'11-05/'13 mouse

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13120
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Chris Bertram » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:54

shimtoan wrote:
ronhale wrote:Grimsby play in Cleethorpes.
and Cleethorpes Town play in Grimsby
wasn't Grimsby called Great Grimsby at one point?
It still is, officially.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

User avatar
Barkstar
Member
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 16:32

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Barkstar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:45

I always crack a smile when passing through Stoney Middleton in the Peak District wondering if any one looking for Middleton Stoney (in Oxfordshire) arrives there looking a bit puzzled.

On Scottish football teams; anyone who was in their youth in the 60s and 70s and a Dr Who fan can recite many of the lower league teams as the results were on just before it started, so the box went on early enough for the valves to warm up!

User avatar
jgharston
Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 18:06
Location: Sheffield/Whitby

Re: Towns changing names

Post by jgharston » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07

Barkstar wrote:I always crack a smile when passing through Stoney Middleton in the Peak District wondering if any one looking for Middleton Stoney (in Oxfordshire) arrives there looking a bit puzzled.
Interestingly, it seems that since the last time I looked at the map around there the B6521 seems to have been Mam Tor'd and now has a gap in the middle of it. On GSV it does seem there are lots of bits where half the road has slipped down the hill leaving a very tight single lane.

User avatar
Halmyre
Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 07:47
Location: Fifeshire

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Halmyre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14

Bfivethousand wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:Seriously, Scottish league football club names are a hoot. Of course everyone knows that Rangers and Celtic are the Glasgow "Old Firm", and sometimes (incorrectly) call them "Glasgow Celtic" and "Glasgow Rangers", and most folk know about Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian in Edinburgh, but how would you guess where Albion Rovers (Coatbridge), Raith Rovers (Glenrothes), Clyde (Cumbernauld) and Morton (Greenock, but at least they now put that first in the name) play? And Partick Thistle don't play in Partick, do they?
Up until last year, if you were asked which British towns and cities had two or more league teams, the one that would have caught many people out would have been Falkirk. The eponymously named club still play there, as do East Stirlingshire who lost their league status last year following a play-off with Edinburgh City.
When ex-works team Ferranti Thistle were promoted to the Scottish league, they changed their name to Meadowbank Thistle. They then moved to Livingston, and later changed their name to Livingston.

KeithW
Member
Posts: 11215
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: Towns changing names

Post by KeithW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 14:42

Big L wrote:There isn't a city called Hull for Hull City to play in, but you will find a Hull on the map. More suitable for water polo maybe.
Only because its full monicker of Kingston upon Hull is a bit too wordy and pretentious for everyday use. It was founded in the 13th century and the local folk being more given to practicality than show simply named it Hull after the confluence of the rivers Hull and Humber it stood on. It is of course a city but has no cathedral however it does have one of the the largest non cathedral churches in England - Hull Minster.

KeithW
Member
Posts: 11215
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: Towns changing names

Post by KeithW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 14:47

Halmyre wrote:
When ex-works team Ferranti Thistle were promoted to the Scottish league, they changed their name to Meadowbank Thistle. They then moved to Livingston, and later changed their name to Livingston.
Not to be confused with Partick Thistle who havent played in Partick since 1908 and who actually are based in the Maryhill area of Glasgow.

User avatar
Halmyre
Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 07:47
Location: Fifeshire

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Halmyre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 15:32

KeithW wrote:
Halmyre wrote:
When ex-works team Ferranti Thistle were promoted to the Scottish league, they changed their name to Meadowbank Thistle. They then moved to Livingston, and later changed their name to Livingston.
Not to be confused with Partick Thistle who havent played in Partick since 1908 and who actually are based in the Maryhill area of Glasgow.
There's also the legendary Third Lanark who were based in Cathkin Park on the south side of Glasgow. They folded 50 years ago but the remains of their ground is still there, including remnants of the terracing. There never was a First or Second Lanark; they were named after the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, members of which formed the club.

User avatar
Big L
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 5326
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 20:36
Location: B5012

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Big L » Thu Nov 30, 2017 18:54

KeithW wrote:
Big L wrote:There isn't a city called Hull for Hull City to play in, but you will find a Hull on the map. More suitable for water polo maybe.
Only because its full monicker of Kingston upon Hull is a bit too wordy and pretentious for everyday use. It was founded in the 13th century and the local folk being more given to practicality than show simply named it Hull after the confluence of the rivers Hull and Humber it stood on. It is of course a city but has no cathedral however it does have one of the the largest non cathedral churches in England - Hull Minster.
I don't think there is a river Humber.

If Stoke on Trent's biggest football club can play as Stoke City I don't see why we couldn't have Kingston City.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

User avatar
FleetlinePhil
Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26
Location: Calder Valley

Re: Towns changing names

Post by FleetlinePhil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 18:58

Up until last year, if you were asked which British towns and cities had two or more league teams, the one that would have caught many people out would have been Falkirk. The eponymously named club still play there, as do East Stirlingshire who lost their league status last year following a play-off with Edinburgh City.
There still are two league teams within Falkirk Council area, if not actually the town itself. Stenhousemuir play in the town of that name about two miles to the north of Falkirk. And doing a bit of research, it appears East Stirlingshire actually have ground-shared at Stenhousemuir's Ochilview Park since 2008.

KeithW
Member
Posts: 11215
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: Towns changing names

Post by KeithW » Thu Nov 30, 2017 19:15

Big L wrote: I don't think there is a river Humber.

If Stoke on Trent's biggest football club can play as Stoke City I don't see why we couldn't have Kingston City.
Well somebody thinks there is a river Humber as they built this girt big bridge over it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.69802 ... 312!8i6656

Hull was named Kingstown upon Hull to denote its royal status just like Royal Leamington Spa.

If you are so keen on Kingston City FC you could emigrate to Australia
https://www.facebook.com/pg/KingstonCit ... e_internal

User avatar
Big L
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 5326
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 20:36
Location: B5012

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Big L » Thu Nov 30, 2017 19:58

KeithW wrote:
Big L wrote: I don't think there is a river Humber.

If Stoke on Trent's biggest football club can play as Stoke City I don't see why we couldn't have Kingston City.
Well somebody thinks there is a river Humber as they built this girt big bridge over it.
That would be the Humber estuary, not the river Humber.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

User avatar
vlad
Member
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 16:20
Location: Near the northern end of the A34

Re: Towns changing names

Post by vlad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 20:15

jgharston wrote:
Barkstar wrote:I always crack a smile when passing through Stoney Middleton in the Peak District wondering if any one looking for Middleton Stoney (in Oxfordshire) arrives there looking a bit puzzled.
Interestingly, it seems that since the last time I looked at the map around there the B6521 seems to have been Mam Tor'd and now has a gap in the middle of it. On GSV it does seem there are lots of bits where half the road has slipped down the hill leaving a very tight single lane.
The B6521 has been closed just east of Eyam for a few years now after it fell down the hill. This photo gives some of an idea as to what's happened; although the road now appears to have been made safe for walkers and cyclists there are still no plans for the road to be reopened. I suppose it's going to be difficult to repair given how steep the hill is in that area.

It's hard to believe the road used to have Class I status.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

From the SABRE Wiki: B6521 :

The B6521 is a short road in the Derbyshire Peak District. It was originally numbered A6010 to the west of Grindleford and A6011 to the east and gained its present number in the 1960s. Following the road today it does not seem as though the road should ever have had Class I status.

The road starts in Middleton Dale on the A623 and heads north up Eyam

... Read More