Towns changing names

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nwallace

Re: Towns changing names

Post by Nwallace »

orudge wrote:Dairsie in Fife is also known as Osnaburgh. It appears the village grew out of two smaller settlements, Dairsiemuir and Osnaburgh.
Further in Fife that I can think of from the top of my head
Ferry-Port-On-Craig became Tayport

Maryton and New Dundee became Easter and Wester Newport, became Newport and then became Newport-On-Tay just before the Burgh council was disbanded and control handed to Fife Regional Council

Muckross became Kilrymont became St Andrews

Newburgh oddly enough wasn't always a New Burgh so probably had a different name

Ladybank was previously Our Lady's Bog

Further A field
Carroch and Larroch became Glencoe village
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

And not a town but an island

Rúm to Rhum to Rúm

(I've used the wrong ú but that's the easiest one to get on the keyboard without using character map)
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Nwallace wrote:Further A field
Nearly, Carnoch is Glencoe village (still has Upper and Lower Carnoch as street names, and the Gaelic is An Carnach.
Laroch became Ballachulish, thanks to the quarries and railway. Again, West Laroch survives as a street name and locals also refer to East Laroch. Ballachulish proper is at the bridge.

Fort William was previously Inverlochy (on a different site), Duncansburgh, Gordonsburgh and Maryburgh. More commonly now known by the diminutive The Fort, from the Gaelic An Gearasdan.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

In response to the OP, the name of Camberley in Surrey apparently was created by the GPO in 1877, as the existing name of Cambridge Town was, not surprisingly, causing some confusion.
http://www.thecamberleysociety.org.uk/page9.html

Moving onto diminutive names, the Calder Valley abounds in them, although I can't claim any are particularly inventive. Todmorden is invariably Tod, and the "Bridge" is usually dropped from Hebden Bridge and often Sowerby Bridge. Hebden rarely causes confusion with the village of that name near Skipton, although I recall that in the old Keighley bus station there were stops marked for both places. Sowerby however really refers to the hilltop village just W of Sowerby Bridge, so that shortening is not always helpful. Mytholmroyd becomes "t' Royd", as Mytholm is a different, much smaller, settlement on the opposite side of Hebden Bridge. Luddendenfoot similarly is reduced to "t' Foot" by some, the village of Luddenden being up a side valley to the North of the Calder.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

FleetlinePhil wrote:In response to the OP, the name of Camberley in Surrey apparently was created by the GPO in 1877, as the existing name of Cambridge Town was, not surprisingly, causing some confusion.
http://www.thecamberleysociety.org.uk/page9.html

Moving onto diminutive names, the Calder Valley abounds in them, although I can't claim any are particularly inventive. Todmorden is invariably Tod, and the "Bridge" is usually dropped from Hebden Bridge and often Sowerby Bridge. Hebden rarely causes confusion with the village of that name near Skipton, although I recall that in the old Keighley bus station there were stops marked for both places. Sowerby however really refers to the hilltop village just W of Sowerby Bridge, so that shortening is not always helpful. Mytholmroyd becomes "t' Royd", as Mytholm is a different, much smaller, settlement on the opposite side of Hebden Bridge. Luddendenfoot similarly is reduced to "t' Foot" by some, the village of Luddenden being up a side valley to the North of the Calder.
There's a lot of them in this part of Yorkshire - Wakey, Donny, Cas/Cas Vegas, Ponte/Ponte Carlo, Hud, the Fax, Hecky (Heckmondwike), Cleck (Cleckheaton)... and a friend of mine sometimes used to call Featherstone "Featherly Hills 01977".
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Wolvo/Wolves, West Brom, Brum (Birmingham), Sutton (Coldfield), Cov.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

vlad wrote:I'd assume there are plenty. Just off the top of my head there's Manc, Macc, Brum, Kidder, 'Castle and Skem - if I thought for a bit I could probably come up with more.
Assuming you're referring to Kidderminster there, the only contraction I'm familiar with is Kiddy.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

rileyrob wrote:
Nwallace wrote:Further A field
Nearly, Carnoch is Glencoe village (still has Upper and Lower Carnoch as street names, and the Gaelic is An Carnach.
Laroch became Ballachulish, thanks to the quarries and railway. Again, West Laroch survives as a street name and locals also refer to East Laroch. Ballachulish proper is at the bridge.

Fort William was previously Inverlochy (on a different site), Duncansburgh, Gordonsburgh and Maryburgh. More commonly now known by the diminutive The Fort, from the Gaelic An Gearasdan.
Yep, had miss-remembered

Looking at 1906 sheet 53 it's noticeable that there is no Kinlochleven on it.
Kinlochmohr and Kinlochbeag are there though.

Also interesting to see in the oldest 6" map available that both the Fort and Belford hospital are well out of town.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Of course, by 1906 Kinlochleven kind of did exist, as work was already under way on the village for the new Smelter. The differences between Kinlochbeag and Kinlochmore persisted until at least 1975, as they were in different counties, requiring two schools, police stations, post offices etc until the authorities started to work together in the 1950s or 60s.

There are a lot more places locally where the name has changed, to some extent. Until the construction of Telford's bridge in 1819, the village was centred a little to the west and known as Kilmonivaig - where the church and old school still stand. To the south, Duror is properly Duror of Appin (a rare case where the appendage has been completely dropped over the years?). I also believe that Malaig is currently trying to drop the anglicized double L.

As for contractions, Drumnadrochit is commonly just Drum, and over in Moray Lossiemouth is just Lossie, and I don't think anyone calls Aberlour Charlestown of Aberlour any more.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Viator wrote:
Enceladus wrote:Peking in China became Beijing around 1980
That wasn't really a change of name, though: more an update to the English-spelling of 北京 (northern capital). The old Peking was an anglicization of the Pékin used by French Jesuits in the 17th-18th centuries, itself taken from the Nanjing (southern capital) dialect of the time. Beijing is how the place is pronounced in standard Chinese today -- so it's a bit like the update to the pronunciation of Calais, which English-speakers used at one time to pronounce as a rhyme of "palace".
The Kolkata change is similar, whereas Mumbai and Chenai were more renamings.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

The village of Birthwaite, just east of Windermere (the lake), was renamed Windermere when the railway was extended to there.
firefly

Post by firefly »

Piatkow wrote:Probably the most famous is St Petersburg - Petrograd - Leningrad - St Petersburg. Any others gone full circle through multiple intermediate names?
It may not have multiple intermediate names, but Chemnitz got its name back after a few decades of being called Karl-Marx-Stadt. Saigon on the other hand hasn't so far.

Furthermore did Byzantium become Constantinople and became Istanbul. Edo was changed to Tokyo, Stalingrad is called Volgograd these days, Lutetia and Nieuw Amsterdam are no longer known by these names either. Wouldn't this thread be a whole lot shorter if we named the towns that haven't changed their names instead?
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Hamilton was historically Cadzow, a name that survives locally with Cadzow Castle and Kilcadzow.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

The most bizarre town name change was probably in the state of New Mexico where the county seat of Sierra County changed its name from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences. This was at the end of the golden age of American radio and Truth or Consequences was a top rated radio quiz program. When the host announced that he would air the program on its 10th anniversary from the first town that renamed itself after the show Hot Springs pipped any competitor to the post, officially changing its name on March 31, 1950.

In the UK one the towns that has seen most name changes seems to be Fort William which since the 1650's has been Maryburgh, Gordonsburgh and Duncansburgh.

My own home town of Middlesbrough was originally a small agricultural settlement called Middleburg, which became anglicised into Middlebrough until the 1820's when the owners of several Durham coal mines selected as the point on the Tees from which they could ship coal linking it with mines by the new fangled railway. It was initially called Port Darlington but this was changed by the managing company to Middlesbrough. The diminutive is The Boro which of course not an abbreviation as there is only one 'o' in the name. But then we all call North Ormesby 'Doggy' for no very apparent reason.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

When the county of Cumbria was created in 1974, it meant that two villages both named Staveley (one previously in Westmorland, the other previously in Lancashire) were now in the same county. The former Lancashire village of Staveley became Staveley-in-Cartmel to distinguish it from the Staveley further north.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

I was brought up in a village nr Doncaster called Edenthorpe, it was called Streetthorpe until the late 19th century when its name was changed by the people who owned the local stately manor who at that time were the 'Eden' family.

Vince
vlad

Post by vlad »

mapboy wrote:
vlad wrote:I'd assume there are plenty. Just off the top of my head there's Manc, Macc, Brum, Kidder, 'Castle and Skem - if I thought for a bit I could probably come up with more.
Assuming you're referring to Kidderminster there, the only contraction I'm familiar with is Kiddy.
That's what the woman in the ticket office at Wolverhampton HL called it yesterday.

I could have misunderstood her accent of course.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

firefly wrote:Stalingrad is called Volgograd these days
IIRC it was called Tsaritsyn before it became Stalingrad.

Also in Russia, Gorkiy which was famous in Soviet times as being a 'closed' city is now Nizhny Novgorod.

The capital of the modern country of Kyrgyzstan is Bishkek. When it was part of the Soviet Union it was called Frunze, who apparently was a leading light in the Soviet government.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Wootton Bassett was renamed Royal Wootton Bassett in 2011. Think of it like you would a knighthood, so I'm sure there were some local residents with republican views who objected.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

RJDG14 wrote:Wootton Bassett was renamed Royal Wootton Bassett in 2011. Think of it like you would a knighthood, so I'm sure there were some local residents with republican views who objected.
There seems to be a tendency for towns that get the Royal prefix to be already double-barrelled, thus becoming triple-barrelled.