OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

Thanks to Nwallace, we've now had more of previously unidentified sheets on the full Seventh Series layer identified. They are sheets 10; 24; 27; 29; 33; 34; and 35, all of which are the relevant Revision A. In addition to that, we have some more "probably" revisions. The identified ones will therefore be added to the appropriate annual layer at the next available opportunity.

This means that the unconfirmed revisions on the full Seventh Series sheets are down to the following list. Any help with detective work, looking for differences between these and any in personal collections would be appreciated.

24 North Skye
46 Loch Linnhe
52 Loch Awe
59 Firth of Clyde
62 Edinburgh
70 Jedburgh
71 Alnwick
72 Girvan
76 Carlisle
77 Hexham
78 Newcastle upon Tyne
82 Keswick
83 Penrith
87 Isle of Man
88 Barrow in Furness
90 Wensleydale
92 Pickering
100 Liverpool
103 Doncaster
104 Gainsborough
105 Grimsby
107 Snowdon
110 Stoke on Trent
112 Nottingham
115 Pwllheli
118 Shrewsbury
120 Burton upon Trent
123 Spalding
124 Kings Lynn
129 Ludlow
130 Kidderminster
134 Huntingdon and Peterborough
139 Cardigan
141 Brecon
142 Hereford
143 Gloucester and Malvern
146 Buckingham
147 Bedford and Luton
149 Colchester
151 Pembroke
152 Camarthen and Tenby
153 Swansea
154 Cardiff
155 Bristol and Newport
161 London N.E.
170 London S.W.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

More uploading fun today:

Sheet 142 (Hereford) Revision 4003

Sheet 78 (Newcastle upon Tyne) Revision 4022

Sheet 130 (Kidderminster) Revision A
Sheet 132 (Coventry and Rugby) Revision A

Sheet 134 (Huntingdon and Peterborough) Revision A
Sheet 142 (Hereford) Revision A/

In addition, I've also uploaded the additionally identified sheets from the full Seventh Series layers to the relevant annual layer - 1957 or 1959 as appropriate. And this lot has also shown that the Newcastle upon Tyne sheet on the full Seventh Series layer is probably also Revision 4022 as uploaded today - or at least I can't find any differences!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Two more maps uploaded today, both to the 1958 layer. They are:

* Sheet 137 (Lowestoft) Revision A/
* Sheet 144 (Cheltenham and Evesham) Revision A/

Enjoy!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Further additions today to the One Inch 1963 layer.

They are:

* Sheet 80 (Kirkcudbright) Revision B
* Sheet 130 (Kidderminster) Revision A///*
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Just in case anyone is bored on a cold Saturday night, there's three more maps appeared on SABRE Maps:

* Sheet 146 (Buckingham) Revision A//* (thanks to C2R)

* Sheet 70 (Jedburgh) Revision B
* Sheet 161 (London NE) Revision B (thanks to C2R)
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Over the last couple of days, I've uploaded a few more One Inch maps:

They are:

* Sheet 125 (Fakenham) Revision A/

* Sheet 89 (Lancaster and Kendal) Revision B
* Sheet 119 (Stafford) Revision B/*

My favourite has to be the Stafford sheet with its big stretch of M6 construction on it, and showing the motorway ending at J13.

With any luck I might manage to get a couple more uploaded before the end of the year, as on 1 January we'll be able to scan 1969 Crown Copyright sheets, and I have a few things set aside ready to land on the scanner bed when legally able to do so...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Time for the now-traditional end of year update.

We now have:

425 indentified active One Inch Seventh Series sheets on SABRE Maps (up from 294 last year), with an additional 46 still to have their exact revisions identified (down from 63 last year); for a total of 471 different sheets available. That means that as of today we have around 2.5 times the number of OS One Inch Seventh Series sheets available on the next largest georeferenced online repository that we know of (the NLS).

In addition there are now 38 individual sheets where we hold every single revision ever printed (up from 26 last year), and a further 22 individual sheets where we hold a copy of every sheet that is currently out-of-copyright (up from 9 last year), though this is a moving target as more sheets drop out of copyright.

I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped and supported SABRE Maps this year - especially to c2R, Nicholas and drm567 for allowing some of their personal collections to be put online this year; and whilst it's not part of the Seventh Series, I'd like to say a big thank you to KeithW who is currently working hard on getting the map annotations done for the 1:25,000 layer, and has got as far south as what I once called the Ravenglass - Ravenscar line, so take a look on that layer north of that line and you can now see exactly which map is which.

I also said this last year:
In addition to that lot, we've also been able to add a number of maps at both Quarter Inch and Ten Mile scales, as well as the full OS OpenData 2018 1:250k GB coverage.

Sadly, we've not been able to add any more MoT maps as although we hold a number of scans they are all dissected maps and I don't have the Photoshop (or similar) skills to take the dissections out of the images so that they can be processed. If you do have these skills, I'd love to hear from you!

Over the next year, I hope to be able to add further Seventh Series maps, catch up with more Quarter Inch coverage, and start to turn attention to the post-war New Popular Edition sheets, of which again we have a single layer of unidentified editions. I also hold personally a number of Ordnance Survey of Ireland Half-Inch sheets that start to go out-of-copyright next year.
Those thoughts have been partially successful this year.

We've been able to add a few 1:250k OpenData layers - the 2019 and 2011 layers have been added, but we're still missing the 2012, 2014 and 2015 revisions, so if you have copies of those, then please get in touch. We've finally added the 1946 Ten Mile Road Map south sheet (to match the 1948 edition we've had online for a number of years); and also some more Quarter Inch Fifth Series sheets.

There's been a couple more MoT maps added, but the big pile of dissected maps hasn't been touched as I've not been able to find anyone with the appropriate PhotoShop (or similar) skills. The New Popular Edition sheets are still on the "to be done" pile - there's quite a number in the pipeline to sort out, but I haven't had time yet.

On the Ireland front, I've done a number of test sheets. However, they haven't been put live as the tools we use aren't designed to use the Irish Grid, and so it's proved to be impossible to get a mosaic sorted out in the same way as we've managed with GB sheets. Single sheets we can do, but unfortunately the reality is that we either need someone to donate $3,450 for a copy of commercial software that will do the job, or we need someone with the skills to rewrite our software in order to support the Irish Grid.

On the plus side, however, I've managed to work out how to get the map calibration tools to work with the National Yard Grid, so we can now relatively easily calibrate OS One Inch Fifth Edition sheets - now all we need is the time and people to do it!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

New Year, new out-of-copyright maps!

The below maps have now been added to the 1969 layer, as all but one have been out of copyright for less than a week. This has added another six sheets for which we have every revision ever published online. Most of East Anglia is now available, plus a section along the Sussex/Kent area, and a nice strip down the Scottish east coast.

* Sheet 40 (Aberdeen) Revision B
* Sheet 43 (Stonehaven) Revision B
* Sheet 50 (Forfar) Revision B
* Sheet 56 (St. Andrews and Kirkcaldy) Revision B
* Sheet 100 (Liverpool) Revision C/*
* Sheet 125 (Fakenham) Revision B
* Sheet 135 (Cambridge and Ely) Revision C
* Sheet 137 (Lowestoft) Revision B
* Sheet 149 (Colchester) Revision B
* Sheet 150 (Ipswich) Revision B
* Sheet 162 (Southend on Sea) Revision B
* Sheet 173 (East Kent) Revision B
* Sheet 183 (Eastbourne) Revision B
* Sheet 184 (Hastings) Revision B<br/>
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

1972 Sheet 126 (Norwich) revision B/ added today.

EDIT: Along with 1973 Sheet 55 (Perth and Alloa) Revision B/*. This includes a nice M90 temporary terminus exactly where the hard shoulder starts/ends today.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

One more map for today - Sheet 24 (North Skye) Revision A// is available on the 1969 layer.
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 09:43 One more map for today - Sheet 24 (North Skye) Revision A// is available on the 1969 layer.
Cheers! Comparing with the later 1973 revision the A863 heading to Dunvegan is sill single track...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And today's addition is one I've really enjoyed looking at - it's Sheet 83 (Penrith), Revision B/* from 1971.

Firstly, it meets up with sheets on two sides, which is always good. But then it also has the M6 Penrith Bypass open on it, but not the section north of there to Carlisle. There's also what looks like a former works exit (which no longer exists, but also seems to be on the 1974 revision) - and the M6 suddenly appears as soon as we go north off the map and go onto the Carlisle sheet!

There's a simple answer of course. The Penrith sheet was printed in March 1971, the Carlisle one in November 1971. But the M6 between J41 and J42 opened in July 1971...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Now I know why the link from J41 to the A6 is S3. It had to handle all the through traffic until the section to Carlisle opened.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks for digitising this one, Steven. Now, does anyone have a copy of the B revision from 1965.... ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Another day, another One Inch map.

Today's pleasure is from 1969 - Sheet 120 (Derby and Burton upon Trent) Revision B/*.

It's the first sheet showing the A38 Burton Bypass, as well as the A5 Wall Bypass; and pleasingly it buts up against Sheet 119 (Stafford) from the same year.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The weird thing is the cramped GSJ at its north end looks to be in open country, so why on earth did they build that insane 180 degree hairpin???
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 06:34 The weird thing is the cramped GSJ at its north end looks to be in open country, so why on earth did they build that insane 180 degree hairpin???
This slip was originally entry only - a fork junction, in effect. The offslip appears to have been added in around 1970, to accompany the growth of Stretton.

SABRE Maps just about shows it: 1969, 1973.

(Yes, I know, get that in the SABRE Wiki! If I could pause time I'd have given every junction a write-up.)
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 06:34 The weird thing is the cramped GSJ at its north end looks to be in open country, so why on earth did they build that insane 180 degree hairpin???
Looking at the area to the north that you'd normally expect the slips to go in, it looks like floodplain. I wonder if that, plus the expectation of tiny amounts of traffic using that movement affected the design?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The 1955 map on old-maps shows new houses going up on the south side of Claymills Road. The earliest map showing the GSJ is 1968 and that has the tight loop which suggests it was built as full access to start with. Maybe the new housing limited how wide the junction can be.

If that junction was built now it would be a dumbbell but back then it was the tendency to make the main movements as freeflow as possible.

I did view the original plans for this bypass at Kew many years ago and they show exactly what was built so I didn't bother taking any photographs.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

On closer inspection I might be mistaken. The National Grid 1:10560 1968 makes it hard to distinguish between the looped slip and the river. The 1972 map does suggest that there were minor changes to the alignment, but that could just be artistic. It also shows the farm turning.

Certainly SABRE Maps does show that the junction was changed between 1969 and 1973, but that could just be a mapping error.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham