OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

Ross Spur wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 20:06 Whilst looking at the single carriageway Clifton Bridge, opened in 1958, I spotted that only the west part of Clifton Estate is shown (from the 1960 Nottingham sheet). It is then overlapped by the 1960 Melton Mowbray sheet that had not been updated for the Clifton Estate. Nottingham was edition B so a more thorough revision than the A/ Melton Mowbray map. Is it possible for the Nottingham sheet to take precedence?
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 3&layer=31
Sorry, I missed answering this. By default, where two maps overlap, the higher numbered sheet takes precedence simply due to how the software is written. I'll have a think about this - whilst changing the order is in theory relatively simple (as I can force a different order), there's actually quite a bit of behind the scenes work to go along with it.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Another Saturday evening, another batch of new maps uploaded to SABRE Maps.

We're very nearly all of the way through the OS One Inch Seventh Series maps we have available to us, so it's time for the begging bowl to go out once again for people to look in their own map collections, and compare them to the Coverage Project, and help bring the missing sheets to everyone to enjoy.

With this batch, we also add three to the list of sheets where we have a copy of every revision ever printed available on SABRE Maps, two of which (110, Stoke-on-Trent and 147, Bedford and Luton) are from the Seventh Series, but we also now have every copy of sheet 149 (Colchester) from the preceding New Popular Edition.

Oh, and there's a fun little quiz running on the SABRE Facebook page around an extract from one of these maps if anyone wishes to join in.

Anyway, the maps are:

Seventh Series
Sheet 112 (Nottingham) Revision A
Sheet 147 (Bedford and Luton) Revision A

Seventh Series
Sheet 110 (Stoke-on-Trent) Revision A
Sheet 143 (Gloucester and Malvern) Revision 4025
Sheet 144 (Cheltenham and Evesham) Revision A

New Popular Edition
Sheet 149 (Colchester) Revision 1302
Sheet 161 (London NE) Revision F
Sheet 163 (Barnstaple) Revision E
Sheet 164 (Minehead) Revision 1303
Sheet 168 (Winchester) Revision D

Scottish Popular Edition
Sheet 28 (Nairn and Cromarty) Revision B
Sheet 47 (Ben Nevis and Fort William) Revision 2351
Sheet 50 (Glen Clova and Lochnagar) Revision 2344
Sheet 54 (Loch Etive and Glen Coe) Revision 2352

Northern Irish Popular Edition
Sheet 10 (Mid-Down) Revision 4041
Steven
Motorway Historian

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Steven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 17:03
Sheet 61 (Falkirk and Lanark) Revision B
A great prize and something I never really hoped to see on a 1" map!
(there are fragments of varying dates at larger scales on old-maps.co.uk.)

Draffan (aka Canderwater) interchange in its original incarnation, built circa 1963, as a junction on the dualled AP A74, which later (at the end of 1966 and after the revision of the map) became the original southern terminus of the M74, intended at the time to be permanent but later abolished in 1986 with the first southward extension of the M74!

And when the modern map is faded in it confirms the reason for the split carriageways just north of the junction.

A later version with the motorway complete as originally intended can be seen on the 1974 1" map.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 13:46
Steven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 17:03
Sheet 61 (Falkirk and Lanark) Revision B
A great prize and something I never really hoped to see on a 1" map!
(there are fragments of varying dates at larger scales on old-maps.co.uk.)

Draffan (aka Canderwater) interchange in its original incarnation, built circa 1963, as a junction on the dualled AP A74, which later (at the end of 1966 and after the revision of the map) became the original southern terminus of the M74, intended at the time to be permanent but later abolished in 1986 with the first southward extension of the M74!

And when the modern map is faded in it confirms the reason for the split carriageways just north of the junction.

A later version with the motorway complete as originally intended can be seen on the 1974 1" map.
I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for posting this.

Sometimes working so hard on Maps feels like a thankless task that no-one cares much about, but then I see something like this and it brightens my day tremendously.

:thumbsup:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Steven wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 14:22 Sometimes working so hard on Maps feels like a thankless task that no-one cares much about, but then I see something like this and it brightens my day tremendously.
I think the continuation of new Maps layers is great, and the one thing that keeps me coming back to this site again and again more than anything else.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The same 1966 1" map also shows Old Inns (now M80 J6) in its original layout as seven-eighths of a cloverleaf. Also on the 1974.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 00:15 The same 1966 1" map also shows Old Inns (now M80 J6) in its original layout as seven-eighths of a cloverleaf. Also on the 1974.
It also shows a temporary route for the A73 through half-built Cumbernauld, which I've never seen before.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It also shows the A8 dualled from Glasgow to a point just east of Chapelhall interchange, from where it would later be realigned to meet the M8 at Newhouse.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

A disappearing dual carriageway...

These early 7th series maps of the 1950's are so much clearer at showing the roads and other detail than the previous New Popular Edition maps. They must have been a revelation at the time.

The 1954 Nottingham sheet shows the incomplete A6097 Oxton Bypass. The section north of the B6386 junction opened on 24 March 1942, work having commenced shortly after April 1939. The southern section together with the northern second carriageway, cyclepaths, footpaths and landscaping was left until after the war and was built between 1954 and 1958. The 1960 map shows the complete road... but all as dual carriageway. The southern section dual carriageway has been taken away by the 1963 map so OS looks to have got carried away with their new dual carriageway symbol.

Anyway the northern section dual carriageway is a classic on Streetview
Oxton Bypass dual carriageway
Ian
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The A6097 has always been something of a mystery to me. There seems to have been a proposal to dual all of it and bypass each village but for what reason?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 20:47 The A6097 has always been something of a mystery to me. There seems to have been a proposal to dual all of it and bypass each village but for what reason?
When buying out Gunthorpe Toll Bridge and building the new bridge in the 1920s Nottinghamshire County Council saw it as opening up a new route between Fosse Way and the Nottingham - Bawtry road, so a south - north route avoiding Nottingham. Being the only bridge over River Trent between Nottingham and Kelham, Newark would also have made it an important route.

Traffic must have built up. A 1938 newspaper report described the "ceaseless traffic" in Lowdham before the bypass and in 1939 Oxton was described as having a "heavy volume of traffic from the Fosse Way to Ollerton and the north".
Ian
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And the final batch for a while of Seventh Series mapping, as we've run out of maps in the pipeline.

The "final four" are all from 1952, and are:

* Sheet 108 (Denbigh) Revision 4019
* Sheet 115 (Pwllheli) Revision 4021
* Sheet 116 (Dolgellau) Revision 4019
* Sheet 151 (Pembroke) Revision 4009

So this is the time where the begging bowl goes out once again, and people are asked to check through their collections and see if anyone has the "missing" revisions in their collections; then please consider donating map scans of them so that we can all enjoy them.

As a reminder, the full Coverage Project page details exactly what is currently on SABRE Maps, and which sheets we still need copies of donating.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54So this is the time where the begging bowl goes out once again, and people are asked to check through their collections and see if anyone has the "missing" revisions in their collections; then please consider donating map scans of them so that we can all enjoy them.
This has prompted me to go back through my list and check whether I've overlooked anything I could be donating, and I have three definite hits:
- Sheet 119 Stafford, 1963
- Sheet 137 Lowestoft, 1954
- Sheet 170 London SW, 1970

I also have a possible hit for sheet 171, London SE, which my inventory lists as being 1961. The coverage list suggests no map was published that year, but SABRE Maps is missing both the 1960 and 1962 revisions which were published, so with a bit of luck it'll turn out to be one of those.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19
Steven wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54So this is the time where the begging bowl goes out once again, and people are asked to check through their collections and see if anyone has the "missing" revisions in their collections; then please consider donating map scans of them so that we can all enjoy them.
This has prompted me to go back through my list and check whether I've overlooked anything I could be donating, and I have three definite hits:
- Sheet 119 Stafford, 1963
- Sheet 137 Lowestoft, 1954
- Sheet 170 London SW, 1970

I also have a possible hit for sheet 171, London SE, which my inventory lists as being 1961. The coverage list suggests no map was published that year, but SABRE Maps is missing both the 1960 and 1962 revisions which were published, so with a bit of luck it'll turn out to be one of those.
Thanks Chris! If you take a look at the revision code, then you should be able to confirm which one it is.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project#How do I find out the date of the map.3F :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40Thanks Chris! If you take a look at the revision code, then you should be able to confirm which one it is.
Will do - I'm working from just my list at the moment, but when I'm back in the room with them I'll take a look and see what's what. More to follow.

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project#How do I find out the date of the map.3F :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Just one match after all that!

The first three listed are all on SABRE Maps now I’ve checked the revision codes. But I do have sheet 171 1959 revision A//, which I can happily make available!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Thanks to C2R and his creation of a new guide as to how to scan a map using a domestic A4 scanner, and stitching it all back together again, we have two new maps from his collection added today to SABRE Maps.

They are:
Sheet 71 (Alnwick) Revision B

Sheet 127 (Aberystwyth) Revision B

So, take a look at these maps, and see if there's any in your own collection that you could share?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Another two maps scanned by C2R (thank you!) have been uploaded. They are:

Sheet 145 (Banbury) Revision A/

Sheet 106 (Anglesey) Revision A//
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 16:29 Another two maps scanned by C2R (thank you!) have been uploaded. They are:

Sheet 145 (Banbury) Revision A/

Sheet 106 (Anglesey) Revision A//
Thanks for georeferencing these - I'm impressed how good they look online given they're both over 60 years old!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

A thanks to you and Steven. I'd have never have spotted the split B4419 either side of the Menai Strait without the Anglesey map.
Ian

From the SABRE Wiki: B4419 :

he B4419 is a road in two halves in North Wales. It is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Carnarvon - Llangaffo - Pentre-berw, crossing the Menai Strait via a ferry that was discontinued in the 1950s, thus leaving two unconnected sections which remain to this day. The ferry was only really suitable for foot passengers, which raises the question of why the road was numbered as a through route; the A5 was always the main road on and off the island.

As such, B4419 may

... Read More