OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

One addition for this morning - thanks to another scan provided by drm567, sheet 94 (Preston) Revision B/* has been added to the 1964 layer.

I really like this one! It shows the M6 under construction between the Preston and Lancaster bypasses, with interesting mapping of the junctions at either end. No sign of Forton Services though!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

A whole new annual layer has been added tonight, from 1969. We're well into the problems with copyright now, and so there are no maps available south of Aberystwyth (as they're all still in copyright for another year and a half)

However, we do bring you this lot, with more Scottish sheets to come:

Sheet 33 (Rhum and Part of Skye) Revision A//
Sheet 93 (Scarborough) Revision B/*
Sheet 94 (Preston) Revision B/*/*
Sheet 104 (Gainsborough) Revision B/*
Sheet 107 (Snowdon) Revision B/*/
Sheet 109 (Chester) Revision B/*/*
Sheet 114 (Boston and Skegness) Revision B/*
Sheet 119 (Stafford) Revision B/*/*
Sheet 124 (Kings Lynn) Revision B/*
Sheet 127 (Aberystwyth) Revision B/

I think my favourite amongst this lot is the Preston sheet - it forms a lovely set with the 1961 and 1964 sheets, showing the progress of M6 through Lancashire. What's your favourite and why?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Isn't 1969 still in copyright - 49 years?
Last edited by Truvelo on Wed Aug 01, 2018 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 22:25 Isn't 1969 still in coptright - 49 years?
Not nevessarily, because the copyright date on OS maps increments on major revisions only, not minor ones - hence why I mentioned that all 1969 One Inch sheets south of Aberystwyth were still in copyright. The copyright dates are listed in the annotations for each map - the text that tells you exactly which sheet you're looking at at the top of the map window.

Take a look here for the full information regarding OS Crown Copyright.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/OS Copyright :

In simple terms, Crown Copyright (for Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland maps) lasts for 50 complete years, so maps safely can be used on the 1st January after the 50 years are up. Government Copyright for Ordnance Survey Ireland mapping also lasts for 50 years. All other mapping has a copyright of 70 years or the life of the author plus 70 years for a work with a named author. This last clause means that all A-Z maps that specifically

... Read More
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Steven wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 17:26 A whole new annual layer has been added tonight, from 1969. We're well into the problems with copyright now, and so there are no maps available south of Aberystwyth (as they're all still in copyright for another year and a half)

However, we do bring you this lot, with more Scottish sheets to come:

Sheet 94 (Preston) Revision B/*/*
Sheet 109 (Chester) Revision B/*/*

I think my favourite amongst this lot is the Preston sheet - it forms a lovely set with the 1961 and 1964 sheets, showing the progress of M6 through Lancashire. What's your favourite and why?
Two highlights for me:-
Sheet 94 (Preston). The new dual carriageway (Watery Lane / Riversway) has opened. The A583 east of the GSJ for Riversway is now the A5085.
Sheet 109 (Chester). There is a yellow unclassified road with GSJ's leading off a new roundabout on the A41 north of Hooton and extending as far as the A5032 in Ellesmere Port. This would eventually become the M531, and later the M53.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 04:36 Not nevessarily, because the copyright date on OS maps increments on major revisions only, not minor ones
Well, until about 1979, but I'm getting well ahead of myself here...
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 Sheet 109 (Chester). There is a yellow unclassified road with GSJ's leading off a new roundabout on the A41 north of Hooton and extending as far as the A5032 in Ellesmere Port. This would eventually become the M531, and later the M53.
The Hooton Industrial Road! I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I missed it completely, but you're right - that's a definite highlight there.

As of this morning, the promised Scottish sheets have been uploaded.

Sheet 7 (Pentland Firth) Revision A/
Sheet 8 (Isle of Lewis) Revision A/
Sheet 12 (Isle of Lewis and North Harris) Revision A/
Sheet 15 (Helmsdale) Revision A/
Sheet 16 (Wick) Revision A/
Sheet 16 (North Uist) Revision A/*
Sheet 27 (Strathpeffer) Revision A//*

I like the A865 extension on North Uist, the various upgrades on the smaller Western Isles such as Great Bernera and the general improvements in mapping.

Finally, most of these add to the list of sheets where we have every revision ever printed online - which is always nice.
Steven
Motorway Historian

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Steven wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 07:10
Sheet 16 (North Uist) Revision A/*
I like the A865 extension on North Uist, the various upgrades on the smaller Western Isles such as Great Bernera and the general improvements in mapping.
I was confused by what you meant here, but having looked I realise of course that it was the opening of the North Ford Causeway

I also note that the A840 in Thurso has been downgraded since 1959, although the various stubs of A roads in Wick have not.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: North Ford Causeway :

Crossing from Benbecula to North Uist, this causeway is touted as the longest in the Western Isles. However, as it jumps between islands, it is not a continuous causeway! The full route between the two main islands is about 4 miles, linking about 7 islands of varying sizes, and crossing three bridges along the way. Two of the bridges are large enough to allow small boats through.

Before the causeway opened, boats plied the channel at High tide, and at low tide it was possible to walk

... Read More
Robert Kilcoyne

Steven wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 07:10 As of this morning, the promised Scottish sheets have been uploaded.

Sheet 15 (Helmsdale) Revision A/
Sheet 16 (Wick) Revision A/
The map shows that around two miles of the A895 north of Latheron was only a single track road. It would be widened to S2 in later years and is now of course the A9 since the A9 was rerouted over the A895 and A882 to Thurso and Scrabster.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Two more this morning, on the 1957 layer.

They are:
Sheet 101 (Manchester) Revision A/
Sheet 111 (Buxton and Matlock) Revision A/, from a scan kindly provided by drm567.

The Manchester sheet appearance has also allowed me to confirm that the revision on the "all" layer where the original had lost all its margins and hence sheet information is actually Revision A from 1953, so the sheet annotation and the Coverage Project have been updated appropriately.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Quite a number from 1970 today. They are:

Sheet 11 (Thurso) Revision A/
Sheet 18 (Harris) Revision A/*
Sheet 23 (South Uist) Revision A/*
Sheet 68 (Biggar, Moffat and Sanquhar) Revision B/
Sheet 70 (Jedburgh) Revision B/
Sheet 71 (Alnwick) Revision B/
Sheet 80 (Kirkcudbright) Revision B/
Sheet 84 (Teesdale) Revision B/*
Sheet 92 (Pickering) Revision B/*
Sheet 96 (Leeds and Bradford) Revision C/*
Sheet 108 (Denbigh) Revision B/*/
Sheet 123 (Spalding) Revision B/

As before, whilst at first glance they appear to be within copyright (as they're less than fifty years old), they're all "minor" revisions, so don't have their copyright updated. This also means we have full sets of sheets 11, 18 and 23 available on Maps.

I really like the M1/M62 junction at Lofthouse - all there and ready to go, but closed to traffic.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Robert Kilcoyne

Steven wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 18:41 Quite a number from 1970 today. They are:

Sheet 96 (Leeds and Bradford) Revision C/*
Sheet 108 (Denbigh) Revision B/*/

As before, whilst at first glance they appear to be within copyright (as they're less than fifty years old), they're all "minor" revisions, so don't have their copyright updated. This also means we have full sets of sheets 11, 18 and 23 available on Maps.

I really like the M1/M62 junction at Lofthouse - all there and ready to go, but closed to traffic.
Also on sheet 96, the first section of the Stanningley bypass is open, and the western part of the Leeds Inner Ring Road would appear to be open as far as the junction with the A660.

And on sheet 108, there are the first grade separated junctions on the A55, at Llanddulas, Pensarn (A548) and St. Asaph (A525).
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Steven wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 18:41 Quite a number from 1970 today.
I like the way that the Scalpay Ferry is marked with a V, but only connects to a road on the Harris side!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rileyrob wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 09:43
Steven wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 18:41 Quite a number from 1970 today.
I like the way that the Scalpay Ferry is marked with a V, but only connects to a road on the Harris side!
That is quite a good one - clearly where the OS didn't revise the map quite properly, as the Ferry isn't marked at all on the original A revision.

Thanks to drm567, we have another map from 1966 online - Sheet 109 (Chester) Revision B/*, which matches up nicely with the extant Liverpool sheet directly to the north printed just a couple of months prior. It also means that we have all but one revision of the sheet online, which is always a nice milestone!
Steven
Motorway Historian

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 19:39 And on sheet 108, there are the first grade separated junctions on the A55, at Llanddulas, Pensarn (A548) and St. Asaph (A525).
Those are as expected - I remember that the Abergele and St Asaph bypasses were both under construction in 1967. But there's also a mysterious bridge over the A55 shown at Northophall.

Edit: Solved, it's a bridge that had carried a then-recently-closed railway.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't seem to be able to view these revisions and was wondering if I was doing anything wrong?

For instance, I have clicked on that link for 1970 posted by Steven a few posts up, but the resulting map definitely is not from 1970, as the only parts of the M6 that are there are the Preston and Lancaster bypasses, and there's none of the M1 there as described?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

James1978 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 19:59 Please excuse my ignorance, but I can't seem to be able to view these revisions and was wondering if I was doing anything wrong?

For instance, I have clicked on that link for 1970 posted by Steven a few posts up, but the resulting map definitely is not from 1970, as the only parts of the M6 that are there are the Preston and Lancaster bypasses, and there's none of the M1 there as described?
That's odd.

Do you see (almost) full GB coverage, or several rectangular individual maps?

What browser are you using, and if you zoom right in on a few maps, you should be able to tell which year you're looking at by looking right at the top of the map window just above the oval shaped controls, between the words "SABRE Maps" and a list of years available.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

It doesn't work for me on IE but is fine on Chrome.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Works for me on Firefox. if I click on 1970 I only see a few sheets amid otherwise blackness, but that was all I was expecting.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

It actually works for me on Chrome - I have just tried it and I can see the series of years along the top unlike Internet Explorer. On that I got a full map of the UK rather than just isolated sheets, but it looked to be from about 1960 and there were no different years to select!