OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by Steven »

What is this?
Currently SABRE Maps has on it a single OS One Inch Seventh Series layer - of which a number of maps are of an unknown date. The One Inch Seventh Series ran from the 1950s through to the mid-1970s, so covers what might be thought of as "the golden era of road building" at a detailed scale.

Similar to that done in 2017 for the OS Quarter Inch Fifth Series, in 2018 work is going to be done on increasing the One Inch coverage, with the eventual aim of having every revision of every sheet (that's out-of-copyright) available for people to view and use.

What can I do to help?
Simple really - we need people to volunteer to scan any maps in their collection for us to use!

Scanning maps is pretty easy - best results can be obtained if you have access to A3 (or larger) scanners. Many workplaces have large format printers these days with A3 scanning facilities, and they are often happy with people using those scanners as (unlike printing), it's a zero cost item. Having said that, domestic A4 scanners work equally well - it's just that you need more scans to cover the map!

It's important to have a reasonable size of overlap between the scans - this allows us to stitch the maps back together into a whole. We also need all the margin information too as that's need to both confirm the date of the map, and also to georeference the map so as SABRE Maps knows where the map actually is of.

How do I know which maps you need?
Well, there's a page on the Roaders' Digest: The SABRE Wiki to help with that. It's at SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project, and it contains all the information you need - including how to exactly date the map using the revision code; and there's a large table that tells you which map revisions we know that we have on SABRE Maps already (as well as which ones we're fairly sure we have...)

Please volunteer to help - we can't do this without SABRE members (and anyone else interested) pulling together and helping with this. In return, we will have so much more good quality mapping information regarding the changes in the road network over time.

All offers of help, questions and other thoughts below welcome!
Last edited by Steven on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Seventh Series coverage project :
Seventh Series cover
Final series cover

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the One Inch Seventh Series and associated maps.

This was the first Ordnance Survey mapping at the One Inch scale to be a single series across the whole of Great Britain, and is useful for us to have as it shows mapping at a relatively detailed scale during the major

... Read More
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: New project for 2018 - OS One Inch 7th Series map coverage

Post by FosseWay »

I have complete coverage of the UK at 7th series, meaning I've got at least one copy of each sheet. In some cases I have several different revisions, though not necessarily all out of copyright. I will take a look and establish which I can theoretically provide. Actually scanning them will take a while I suspect, on my A4 scanner.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

I've also got a fair few and have offered STeven my list (although I've just gone on an eBay binge so...), only an A4 scanner, can't scan at work but happy to lend them for scanning purposes.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

As an aside colour photocopiers are very good for this kind of work. It might be an idea however for the Maps team to suggest what format the images need to be in as most photocopiers scan to PDF as default which I guess is not too useful.
Built for comfort, not speed.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

PDFs can be converted back to image formats in Acrobat, and probably other software too. I have a copy of Acrobat as I suspect others do so I don't think if the end result's a PDF this should be a deterrent to people offering scans

Domestic all in one inkjets are quite easy to get with A3 scan beds though you have to be careful. Some of the cheaper ones will make you do two passes and interpolate, which is a bit silly as you might as well just scan A4 and do it yourself
We have one of these, which actually has a true A3 bed https://www.ebuyer.com/655685-hp-office ... g1x85a-a80

Sadly I don't have any maps...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rhyds wrote:As an aside colour photocopiers are very good for this kind of work. It might be an idea however for the Maps team to suggest what format the images need to be in as most photocopiers scan to PDF as default which I guess is not too useful.
Ideally, the scans need to arrive as reasonably decent resolution JPG files - 400dpi or greater is ideal, though massively high resolution isn't necessary. Basically, a colour photocopier/large format printer set to "medium" is usually fine.

I have had success with files that arrive as PDF files - as FC says it's possible to convert that back to JPG, though obviously if we can avoid that extra step that would be better!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

FosseWay wrote:I will take a look and establish which I can theoretically provide. Actually scanning them will take a while I suspect, on my A4 scanner.
Nwallace wrote:I've also got a fair few and have offered STeven my list (although I've just gone on an eBay binge so...), only an A4 scanner, can't scan at work but happy to lend them for scanning purposes.
Thank you very much for volunteering help - it's really appreciated! As I mentioned, A4 scanners do work fine, it's just that you need more physical scans.
Steven
Motorway Historian

afarlie

Post by afarlie »

Steven wrote:What is this?
Currently SABRE Maps has on it a single OS One Inch Seventh Series layer - of which a number of maps are of an unknown date. The One Inch Seventh Series ran from the 1950s through to the mid-1970s, so covers what might be thought of as "the golden era of road building" at a detailed scale.
It also coincidentally charts the somewhat drastic surgery the good Doctor, prescribed for the British rail network :cry: . I find the NPE very useful in matching up where I've found a "Station Road" with no Station ; :roll:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

afarlie wrote:
Steven wrote:What is this?
It also coincidentally charts the somewhat drastic surgery the good Doctor, prescribed for the British rail network :cry: . I find the NPE very useful in matching up where I've found a "Station Road" with no Station ; :roll:
Oddly enough, the rail network is exactly what I've been using the help date the extant maps where we are missing that detail - looking for differences in stations mostly. The Quarter Inch maps we have already over this period show the Beeching closures quite well too, but obviously at a less detailed scale.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And today the first three new One Inch layers containing new map revisions have gone "live".

They are:
1958 One Inch - contains Sheet 131 (Birmingham) Revision A/
1963 One Inch - contains Sheet 60 (Glasgow) Revision A// and Sheet 131 (Birmingham) Revision B/*
1967 One Inch - contains Sheet 131 (Birmingham) Revision C

The three Birmingham sheets have been deliberately chosen to give a flavour of the changing nature of the road network in an urban area in the 1950s and 1960s, whilst the Glasgow sheet does similarly elsewhere.

You'll also notice there are other sheets on those layers. Those sheets are where the original full-GB mapping sheets have been identified as being from the year in question and we have the full source available, so whilst they aren't new, they're in the right historical context for future additions.

Don't forget you can use the "Create overlay" feature to fade in modern mapping, and also the "Find a road" functionality to put a trace of the modern route on top of the historic mapping.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

...and two more layers with the following map additions:

1962 One Inch - contains Sheet 170 (London SW) Revision A///*
1964 One Inch - contains Sheet 184 (Plymouth) Revision A/*

The first shows some interesting bits and pieces of roadbuilding in the area such as the Staines Bypass and the beginnings of the M4, whilst the latter has the then-brand new Tamar Bridge open on it.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And another layer with a new map revision:

1961 One Inch - contains Sheet 101 (Manchester) Revision B

Featuring the first One Inch appearance of the original M62.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: M62 %28Stretford - Eccles bypass%29 :

The original use of the M62 number was for the Stretford-Eccles Bypass in Lancashire to the west of Manchester. It was renumbered to M63 in 1968, before being renumbered again to M60 in 1999.

It is located between the modern junction 7 and 13 of the M60.

There is an amount of confusion as to whether the junctions on the M62 were ever numbered. A number of maps by various providers (such as Ordnance Survey, an example of which is shown to the left) showed

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Oh, and the 1965 One Inch layer is now live too, with Sheet 60 (Edinburgh) Revision B.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

After a few days' break - the 1957 layer is now live. On it is a new scan of Sheet 37 (Kingussie) Revision A, but that's one of the ones where we're not sure of the exact revision of that map on the full One Inch Seventh Series layer.

So, if you enjoy playing "spot the difference", take a look at the two scans of that sheet, and see if they are the same, or different! You can find it in the A9 corridor.
Steven
Motorway Historian

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I can't see any differences except for the higher res scan. The low res of the original leads me to suspect that it may be another one which I did, the quality is certainly the same as No36, Fort Augustus, which is definitely one of mine. It looks as though my copy is also the 1957 A revision.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote:After a few days' break - the 1957 layer is now live. On it is a new scan of Sheet 37 (Kingussie) Revision A, but that's one of the ones where we're not sure of the exact revision of that map on the full One Inch Seventh Series layer.

So, if you enjoy playing "spot the difference", take a look at the two scans of that sheet, and see if they are the same, or different! You can find it in the A9 corridor.
thanks Steven - I've had a quick look and they look very similar to me.... I've found no differences so far. That said, there is something interesting happening with the railway in the north west corner... is it double tracked or about to split or something? Then, looking at sheets 29 and 38, the railway continues as a solid black line in a single direction, so these two maps are perhaps later...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

If you look at the MOT map, it shows that the split between the two lines either side of the Spey happens at Boat of Garten Station. I think that, more accurately, the two separate lines both ran in to BoG, probably without meeting. Thus, on the 1957 sheet the two tracks are still shown as running side by side, but by the later editions a connection has been installed at the actual split, creating dual track back to the station (or just lazy mapping).
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

rileyrob wrote:If you look at the MOT map, it shows that the split between the two lines either side of the Spey happens at Boat of Garten Station. I think that, more accurately, the two separate lines both ran in to BoG, probably without meeting. Thus, on the 1957 sheet the two tracks are still shown as running side by side, but by the later editions a connection has been installed at the actual split, creating dual track back to the station (or just lazy mapping).
It does, you're right. I think then that it confirms that the existing 37 is same as the A revision and not A/ (which presumably would have a single black line for the railway, being after the 29 revision
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote:
rileyrob wrote:If you look at the MOT map, it shows that the split between the two lines either side of the Spey happens at Boat of Garten Station. I think that, more accurately, the two separate lines both ran in to BoG, probably without meeting. Thus, on the 1957 sheet the two tracks are still shown as running side by side, but by the later editions a connection has been installed at the actual split, creating dual track back to the station (or just lazy mapping).
It does, you're right. I think then that it confirms that the existing 37 is same as the A revision and not A/ (which presumably would have a single black line for the railway, being after the 29 revision
Thank you both for looking - I couldn't find a difference either, so the help is appreciated.

As a reward :wink: , whilst it's not a new revision, there's a new higher resolution scan of Sheet 13 (Loch Inver and Loch Assynt) Revision A/ on the 1962 layer for your enjoyment.
Steven
Motorway Historian

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Thanks for all your work on this Steven, it is greatly appreciated. Shame about the 50 year Copyright rule though, as we need to roll forward a decade or so before the Lochinver roads got upgraded!

It also shows the dangers of looking at scanned maps quickly - I got all excited about a possibly unidentified short B road popping up on the map, but then realised it was a yellow road overlying brown contours to make it look orange. To prove me completely wrong, the B869, a genuine B road, is brown, as was correct on OS One Inch maps at the time :roll:
Rob.