OS 1:250,000 modern layers

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: OS 1:250,000 modern (ish) layers

Post by Big L »

No sign of Rugby Services.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Big L wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 16:36 No sign of Rugby Services.
Which is on the shiny new 2022 release, which is live on SABRE Maps now.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Steven wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 08:04
Big L wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 16:36 No sign of Rugby Services.
Which is on the shiny new 2022 release, which is live on SABRE Maps now.
Rugby services shown as a non-motorway service area.

Some other interesting changes and omissions:

No sign of the A30 or A391 improvements in Cornwall.

The proposed lines of the Arundel bypass and LTC have been deleted. They have been shown for the last couple of years. The A12 realignments between Chelmsford and Colchester continue to be shown as proposed.

A new A-road to the northeast of Aylesbury. No doubt another development road for more sprawling car-dependent housing estates rather than any functionally useful bypass.

The East-West railway has gone from being an almost intact disused railway to being a dotted line, presumably an under construction railway. But no such dotted line for HS2 which you might expect to make an appearance by now.

A487 Caernarfon bypass shown as complete.

No roundabout for the M181/A1077(M).

The link from the A9 to A94 north of Perth has regressed from under construction to proposed.

I'm sure there will be many more changes i haven't picked up on yet.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 22:17 No roundabout for the M181/A1077(M).
This (along with Truvelo's comment about the 2021 map not showing a roundabout on A449 north of Penkridge) isn't actually surprising.

At that scale, roundabouts are generally only shown where two roads marked on the map meet at a roundabout. There are a few exceptions to this, for example, on A460 just south of M54 J1.
SouthWest Philip wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 22:17 The proposed lines of the Arundel bypass and LTC have been deleted. They have been shown for the last couple of years.
Another one that's been shown for the last couple of years but has disappeared this year is the M54-M6 Toll Link. It's been really hard to see as the A460 label hides it, but it's definitely been there on the 2020 and 2021 editions.

One more for the "additions" list is the Stafford Western Access Route, and on a more off-topic note, so has a new tram stop in Birmingham.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 08:37
SouthWest Philip wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 22:17 No roundabout for the M181/A1077(M).
This (along with Truvelo's comment about the 2021 map not showing a roundabout on A449 north of Penkridge) isn't actually surprising.

At that scale, roundabouts are generally only shown where two roads marked on the map meet at a roundabout. There are a few exceptions to this, for example, on A460 just south of M54 J1.
SouthWest Philip wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 22:17 The proposed lines of the Arundel bypass and LTC have been deleted. They have been shown for the last couple of years.
Another one that's been shown for the last couple of years but has disappeared this year is the M54-M6 Toll Link. It's been really hard to see as the A460 label hides it, but it's definitely been there on the 2020 and 2021 editions.

One more for the "additions" list is the Stafford Western Access Route, and on a more off-topic note, so has a new tram stop in Birmingham.
They're showing the Five Ways tram stop, which isn't open yet. They also don't show all the tram stops in the city centre, but that's probably understandable as they'd obliterate all other detail.

An interesting omission is any indication of county/unitary authority boundaries (national boundaries are shown). I doubt that it has anything to do with the scale, which is clearly sufficient.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: OS 1:250,000 modern layers

Post by Steven »

The 2023 edition was released yesterday, and found its way onto SABRE Maps this afternoon.

The Poynton Relief Road's there (though the old road is still marked as A523...), but what else?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

Steven wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 15:19 The 2023 edition was released yesterday, and found its way onto SABRE Maps this afternoon.

The Poynton Relief Road's there (though the old road is still marked as A523...), but what else?
I've found the Forder Valley Link Road in Devon, and the A6120 realignment in Leeds (but with the old road still a primary A-road). There's also the new link road in Northallerton, the Haudagain bypass in Aberdeen (alongside the downgrading of the roads in the city to non-primary at last), the A325 downgrade through Farnham, M11 J7a and the A1307 viaduct replacement route in Huntingdon.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
jervi

Post by jervi »

Steven wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 15:19 The 2023 edition was released yesterday, and found its way onto SABRE Maps this afternoon.

New on 2023 is showing the Grantham Southern Relief Road, East of B1174 as construction and West as primary open, which it did last year.

Things Missing from 2023:
A2300 not shown as dualed
A27 Roundabout at Lancing not shown (still under construction)
A23 south of A270 still showing old layout
A264 new (2019) roundabout East of M23 J10 not shown
A259 dualing at Angmering and Littlehampton not shown (completed few months ago)

Just noticed that the A22 in East Grinstead has its strange junction marked as a grade separated junction with limited access, I guess in some definitions it is grade separated, but only due to the geometry of the old railway, and not to increase throughput.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

A6211 changes between 2021 and 2022
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

New roundabout on A449 at Penkridge not showing
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I've found that OSNI have released a new map (May 2023) at 1:250k scale as OpenData called "Eire Thuaidh", ie. Northern Ireland, with all the place names shown bilingually.

Excellent I thought, a great new map for SABRE Maps!

Then once the work was done, I looked more closely. It's officially the worst map I've ever seen created by any of the three Ordnance Surveys. You can amuse yourself for hours finding all the things that are wrong - for example, where's the M3 and the Lagan Bridge? Where's the A1 Newry Bypass? Why is the A8(M) not shown as a motorway?

It's on the 1:250k 2023 layer for you all to facepalm at...
Steven
Motorway Historian

SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Steven wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 20:34 I've found that OSNI have released a new map (May 2023) at 1:250k scale as OpenData called "Eire Thuaidh", ie. Northern Ireland, with all the place names shown bilingually.

Then once the work was done, I looked more closely. It's officially the worst map I've ever seen created by any of the three Ordnance Surveys. You can amuse yourself for hours finding all the things that are wrong - for example, where's the M3 and the Lagan Bridge? Where's the A1 Newry Bypass? Why is the A8(M) not shown as a motorway?

It looks more like it's from 1973 than 2023. It's not remotely up-to-date.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It's an odd one.. the A55 to the south of Belfast as it's pre upgrade number of B205. Then there are some places on there which should have Irish names but don't so it's not really even doing that fully. It definitely is right up there in the not too be trusted category of maps

I do like the attention to detail on the demarcation of the two different grid systems though
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 21:20
Steven wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 20:34 I've found that OSNI have released a new map (May 2023) at 1:250k scale as OpenData called "Eire Thuaidh", ie. Northern Ireland, with all the place names shown bilingually.

It looks more like it's from 1973 than 2023. It's not remotely up-to-date.
I think we call this a Spite Map, because Dublin Is Only A Sunningdale Away...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

c2R wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 08:13 It's an odd one.. the A55 to the south of Belfast as it's pre upgrade number of B205. Then there are some places on there which should have Irish names but don't so it's not really even doing that fully. It definitely is right up there in the not too be trusted category of maps

I do like the attention to detail on the demarcation of the two different grid systems though
I'd estimate the map at 1988 or so, and what's more we used to own a copy of this map. It was "Eire Thuaidh", a joint OSNI-OSI production, and in the early 1990s it was printed in a card cover with a Celtic cross on it.

Found the cover at Library Thing
And even better... my estimate is bang on. The PDF of the map is available at ARCGIS and I am feeling clever.
etr220

Post by etr220 »

c2R wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 08:13 I do like the attention to detail on the demarcation of the two different grid systems though
Not sure where to raise this, but on looking at this, and looking around, at e.g. 1:250k 2010 layer - and others, e.g. various OS Quarter Inch series - the boundary between where it gives grid references for locations (alongside lat & long) using Irish and GB National Grids is wrong - it is giving Irish (single letter) references rather than GBN (two letter) ones for significant parts of SW Scotland and West Wales (part of Pembrokeshire).

There is - as marked on the OSNI Eire Thuaidh map (and some others) - a carefully defined boundary between the two grids, running down the Irish Sea: which is where those to whom it really matters change system, and I would suggest this is what should be used.

Checking in more detail (on the Sabre Maps page), it appears to be giving Irish refs throughout the 400*500km Irish Grid 'space' (up to 400/900km E), in preference to GBN ones (even in GB), rather than using the defined boundary (or even a simplified variant of it).

But what should be done is arguable (given that I suspect working out which side of the boundary points are is net exactly easy): possibly in the 'common area' both should be given.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Steven wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 20:34 Then once the work was done, I looked more closely. It's officially the worst map I've ever seen created by any of the three Ordnance Surveys. You can amuse yourself for hours finding all the things that are wrong - for example, where's the M3 and the Lagan Bridge? Where's the A1 Newry Bypass? Why is the A8(M) not shown as a motorway?
The map looks at least 15 years old. There's no N2 Castleblaney Bypass, which (IIRC) opened in 2007.

At least this does demonstrate why Irish maps from the 1990s and 2000s are more interesting than British ones from the same period as so much more building was happening.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

etr220 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:36
Checking in more detail (on the Sabre Maps page), it appears to be giving Irish refs throughout the 400*500km Irish Grid 'space' (up to 400/900km E), in preference to GBN ones (even in GB), rather than using the defined boundary (or even a simplified variant of it).

But what should be done is arguable (given that I suspect working out which side of the boundary points are is net exactly easy): possibly in the 'common area' both should be given.
Yes, it looks like that's a bug that's been missed as in those areas it should be giving both grid references as we calculate them both and display when we get a sensible answer.

The SABRE Maps Co-ordinate Finder gives both, as well as a ton of other systems both modern and archaic.
Steven
Motorway Historian