1967 Route Planning Map - South

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1967 Route Planning Map - South

Post by Steven »

Happy New Year!

January 1st means that OS maps published in 1967 are now out-of-copyright, so one of the first maps to take advantage of that is the south sheet of the 1967 Route Planning Map. There's quite a lot of changes on here from the 1966 edition, my current favourites being:

* Primary Destinations
* Motorway junction numbers
* More motorway mapping errors in Kent

What can you find?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Primary Destinations :

Primary Destinations are the key target destinations (technically, "places of major traffic importance") within the United Kingdom that are shown on direction signs along major roads such as Motorways and Primary Routes. These destinations are important key points and are used in combination with local place names that are defined by each local Highway Authority. Primary destinations will appear above local destinations on direction signs due to a furthest first rule in the

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: 1967 Route Planning Map - South

Post by c2R »

We've got some junction numbers appeared on M62_(Stretford_-_Eccles_bypass), numbered 1-6 (south to north)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: M62 (Stretford - Eccles bypass) :

The original use of the M62 number was for the Stretford-Eccles Bypass in Lancashire to the west of Manchester. It was renumbered to M63 in 1968, before being renumbered again to M60 in 1999.

It is located between the modern junction 7 and 13 of the M60.

There is an amount of confusion as to whether the junctions on the M62 were ever numbered. A number of maps by various providers (such as Ordnance Survey, an example of which is shown to the left) showed

... Read More
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Steven wrote:January 1st means that OS maps published in 1967 are now out-of-copyright,
A pedant posts: they are not out-of-copyright, they are out of copyright.
An out-of-copyright map is a map that is out of copyright.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Nobody had a clue with the A2, M2, and its spurs did they?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The original set of Primary Routes is also nice to have now.
Steven
Motorway Historian

From the SABRE Wiki: Primary Routes :

REDIRECT [[Primary

... Read More
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Was there really a junction with A427 at Catthorpe prior to the M1/M6 split being built? This is new as compared with 1966.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris Bertram wrote:Was there really a junction with A427 at Catthorpe prior to the M1/M6 split being built? This is new as compared with 1966.
No - the slips for J19 were built nice and early, so I suspect it's showing them in error rather than a junction with the A427.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:Was there really a junction with A427 at Catthorpe prior to the M1/M6 split being built? This is new as compared with 1966.
No - the slips for J19 were built nice and early, so I suspect it's showing them in error rather than a junction with the A427.
That seems likely, but the map could easily be misread as printed. I wonder how many people headed down A427 and were disappointed when all they found was an underpass.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

c2R wrote:We've got some junction numbers appeared on M62_(Stretford_-_Eccles_bypass), numbered 1-6 (south to north)
I've mentioned those a few times over the years in the forums. They were shown on some maps but never shown on signs. Junction numbers on signs only appeared in 1971 (increasing southward) when it became M63 at the time the M602 opened.

From the SABRE Wiki: M62 (Stretford - Eccles bypass) :

The original use of the M62 number was for the Stretford-Eccles Bypass in Lancashire to the west of Manchester. It was renumbered to M63 in 1968, before being renumbered again to M60 in 1999.

It is located between the modern junction 7 and 13 of the M60.

There is an amount of confusion as to whether the junctions on the M62 were ever numbered. A number of maps by various providers (such as Ordnance Survey, an example of which is shown to the left) showed

... Read More
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

The A580 east of the M6 appears still to be red, although the A580 west of the M6 is shown in green. This would probably have been an error, as the "A580" is in black type and I would have thought that the whole of the A580 between Liverpool and the A6 would be both a primary and trunk road at that time.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:The A580 east of the M6 appears still to be red, although the A580 west of the M6 is shown in green. This would probably have been an error, as the "A580" is in black type and I would have thought that the whole of the A580 between Liverpool and the A6 would be both a primary and trunk road at that time.
The eastern half of the A580 and adjacent bits of the A575 and A572 (connecting to "M62" "J6") appear darker red than other red roads, perhaps as if printed with both green and red inks. The A580 and A575 should be green and the bit of A572 should be red.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And the North sheet has now been uploaded to join the south sheet, so we now have a full set of the original Primary Routes and Primary Destinations.

EDIT: And yes, I know about the Tyneside inset problem...
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Something strange also seems to be going on at the top of Shetland, at least on my Firefox browser..
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

All of the green primary routes seem to become red when they reach the outskirts of Edinburgh and Glasgow, yet there are green roads in Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote:Something strange also seems to be going on at the top of Shetland, at least on my Firefox browser..
That should be fixed in about five minutes.
Robert Kilcoyne wrote:All of the green primary routes seem to become red when they reach the outskirts of Edinburgh and Glasgow, yet there are green roads in Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.
I've just taken a look at my print copy, and they're shown in the same way on the 1968 edition. Do they match up with the old County Burgh boundaries?
Steven
Motorway Historian

jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Cooo. Was the B1416 through Ruswarp really a primary route?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jgharston wrote:Cooo. Was the B1416 through Ruswarp really a primary route?
Yes it was, prior to the new high level bridge carrying A171 over the Esk opening in the early 80s.

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yay! More maps.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
si404

Post by si404 »

I've listed the primary destinations marked on the map at Sandbox:1967 PDs.

There's green backing for super-primary destinations, so I've also recorded them.

Obvious oddities: Isle of Wight is a PD according to the map. London isn't.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson

From the SABRE Wiki: Sandbox :
... Read More
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

si404 wrote:I've listed the primary destinations marked on the map at Sandbox:1967 PDs.

There's green backing for super-primary destinations, so I've also recorded them.
On that map, at least as digitised, super-primaries are hard to distinguish from mere primaries, so I don't blame you for failing to list Fishguard as super.

The reason I noticed the omission is as follows:

The first map I ever saw showing primary routes and destinations was one I persuaded my father to send for from the AA in about 1965. I mentioned it on here once. At the time I posted about it, I memorised the super primaries from it. By way of a mnemonic I noticed that they consisted of a distorted circle of 16 places (including London which was shown as SP), plus one in the centre (Birmingham), plus four further north (Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle).

From the SABRE Wiki: Sandbox :
... Read More