1968 Route Planning Map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1968 Route Planning Map

Post by Steven »

By a quirk of the Ordnance Survey publishing schedule, the 1968 Route Planning Map North sheet is now available on SABRE Maps. OS moved their publication dates for the RPM between the 1967 and 1968 editions, so that they were actually both published in 1967 - one at the start of the year, and the other near the end. Hence, we can publish the 1968 Route Planning map what would appear to be a year early.

I don't have access to the equivalent South sheet at this time, so if anyone has one that they would be happy to donate scans of (or lend to me temporarily to scan and return), then please respond below!

As you might expect from a "half-year" update, there isn't as much change as you might normally expect in the annual revision - the most obvious change being more A1(M) in County Durham.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Robert Kilcoyne

Re: 1968 Route Planning Map

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Steven wrote: As you might expect from a "half-year" update, there isn't as much change as you might normally expect in the annual revision - the most obvious change being more A1(M) in County Durham.
The A74 is now shown as dual carriageway between Beattock Summit and Beattock, so there is now continuous dual carriageway between Draffan and Ecclefechan.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I think I have a 1968 south sheet. I'll try to find it.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And ten months later, we finally have the South sheet as well.

Highlights for me include more M1 in Yorkshire, more A1(M) in Hertfordshire, and whilst the "A2(M)" mapping error in Kent has been fixed, the same mapping error on the M2 at J4 as on the 1967 sheet is still there.

However, my utter favourite has to be the open M1 J3...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

What's the green road between the A33 at Otterbourne and the A31 at Hursley? It was the B3057 in 1960, and the A31 by about 1971, but on the 1968 map the Chandler's Ford bypass isn't open and the A31 carries on as non-primary into Winchester city centre.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It can only be Poles Lane, now a yellow road and, as you say, once the B3057. But how was it numbered in 1968?

Sorry I never found my copy of the map. I know it's lurking somewhere. Thanks to whoever provided one.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Ritchie333 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 What's the green road between the A33 at Otterbourne and the A31 at Hursley? It was the B3057 in 1960, and the A31 by about 1971, but on the 1968 map the Chandler's Ford bypass isn't open and the A31 carries on as non-primary into Winchester city centre.
It's also on the 1967 edition. Very peculiar...

EDIT: Revision C of the Southern England Quarter Inch map from 1970 shows it as a spur of the A31, with the A31 also carrying on into Winchester.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yay! More maps!

You know I never say no to a map update.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Takes me back to the bad old days of 1968 riding a motorcycle over Shap Fell in the pouring rain having passed under the M6 under construction on the B6261. I don't think I have ever been colder and wetter despite wearing full leathers and it being summer. I must have been a masochist as I only switched to something with a roof in 1971. The good part of that era was roaring along an almost empty M18 from the Doncaster bypass to the M1
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Steven wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 09:08 And ten months later, we finally have the South sheet as well.
Beautiful - thank you.

One definite highlight is the unplanned temporary terminus on the A21 Sevenoaks Bypass, in place for only a year or so while the last couple of miles were torn up and rebuilt after a land slip. The map shows the unclassified Gracious Lane connecting the brand new dual carriageway to the old A21.