1969 Route Planning Map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1969 Route Planning Map

Post by Steven »

New Year's Day also means New Copyright Day for SABRE Maps, and with that in mind, the first mapping with a Crown Copyright date of 1968 available on SABRE Maps is both sheets of the 1969 Route Planning Map.

Compared against the 1968 edition, there's quite a few fun things to see, with some of my favourites being:

* Motorways! Lots more of them!
* M1 J3 is still marked as being open...
* ...but the OS have worked out that the A278 from M2 J4 isn't a motorway
* The Sevenoaks Bypass is shown as completed, rather than the temporary terminus on the 1968 edition
* The M4 Hambrook Spur is shown, having been missed off previous editions; as is M5 J16
* There is a hopeful little under construction stub of M5 shown at the M50 junction
* M1 J19 is shown as it has in previous editions (even though M6 isn't open yet) but this time the junction number has been removed
* M61 and M62 in east Lancashire are shown as under construction
* There is a terrible bit of mapping on the M6 near Tebay where it looks like the map stitching has gone wrong. It actually hasn't - it's where the sheet join is, but you can tell that the OS never actually intended anyone to put the two sheets together!
* More A74 dual carriageway around Ecclefechan
* The A8(M)/M8 Paisley Bypass is shown as open, as well as the first section of the M8 Glasgow Inner Ring Road

In short, I really love this one!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Mattemotorway

Re: 1969 Route Planning Map

Post by Mattemotorway »

If you compare between editions, you'll notice that M1 J19 appears to have moved south from the 1968 edition.

Another thing to mentiuon is that the original M62 appears to have now been renumbered to M63.
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

I’d love to take a look at this map. :) Where on Sabre is a scan available of one or do I have to put in a special request?
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I only have the North sheet, but there is a bigger problem than that; don't have a scanner! I picked up the 1973 sheets in a charity shop recently so I can compare between that North sheet, and my AA map from 1965 (entirely an OS map besides the cover strangely).
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Enceladus wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 19:45 I’d love to take a look at this map. :) Where on Sabre is a scan available of one or do I have to put in a special request?
On SABRE Maps...

If you look at the top yellow bar there is a menu item called "maps". Alternatively, go to www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps. The Route Planning Maps are in the "Ten Mile" group on the left hand side.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Steven wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 09:10
Enceladus wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 19:45 I’d love to take a look at this map. :) Where on Sabre is a scan available of one or do I have to put in a special request?
On SABRE Maps...

If you look at the top yellow bar there is a menu item called "maps". Alternatively, go to www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps. The Route Planning Maps are in the "Ten Mile" group on the left hand side.

Thanks a million Stephen. :)

I knew of the Maps section of Sabre but hadn’t been able to find the OS route planning map link until earlier today.

Got it sorted!
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More