1925-27 MoT Map layer

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1925-27 MoT Map layer

Post by Steven »

For the first time in 18 months, a "new" MoT map has been added to SABRE Maps. Today's joy is the 1926-27 revision of the Whitby and Scarborough sheet, and I've quite enjoyed finding differences on this one. Considering that quite a large proportion of the map is sea, or moorland, there is an awful lot of difference between this and the only other sheet ever printed, the original 1922-23 set.

Slightly more irritatingly, we'd also have had the 1925-26 revision of the London sheet that's not available in any legal deposit library if someone hadn't snipered me on eBay with a few seconds to go... If it was you that won it, then please, please, please scan it for us!

There's also a number of MoT maps that we need help with - the versions available to us are dissected editions, so need someone with Photoshop (or similar) skills to remove the sections of backing so that we can georeference them and get them online.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

KeithW

Re: 1925-27 MoT Map layer

Post by KeithW »

Steven wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 22:01 For the first time in 18 months, a "new" MoT map has been added to SABRE Maps. Today's joy is the 1926-27 revision of the Whitby and Scarborough sheet, and I've quite enjoyed finding differences on this one. Considering that quite a large proportion of the map is sea, or moorland, there is an awful lot of difference between this and the only other sheet ever printed, the original 1922-23 set.

Slightly more irritatingly, we'd also have had the 1925-26 revision of the London sheet that's not available in any legal deposit library if someone hadn't snipered me on eBay with a few seconds to go... If it was you that won it, then please, please, please scan it for us!

There's also a number of MoT maps that we need help with - the versions available to us are dissected editions, so need someone with Photoshop (or similar) skills to remove the sections of backing so that we can georeference them and get them online.
There were quite a few new roads built and old roads realigned in East Cleveland as unemployment relief projects in the 20's so I am not surprised. The A1085 was one of them. It was and is known locally as the trunk road, despite never having been trunk was one of them. I believe it came to be called that as the eastern end was a mixture of S4 and D2. The A171 lost a lot if its more extreme oxbow bends in that period as well.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Ooh - the A170 being extended down Sutton Bank!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Thanks to Ritchie333 working on removing the dissections, the 1926-27 revision of Sheet 38 (Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight) is now available online with LOTS of differences on the Isle of Wight from 1922-23 just to get everyone started on the hunt for changes!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 08:53 Thanks to Ritchie333 working on removing the dissections, the 1926-27 revision of Sheet 38 (Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight) is now available online with LOTS of differences on the Isle of Wight from 1922-23 just to get everyone started on the hunt for changes!
Thanks both - yes, it looks like someone decided that the west of the Island was worth having some A roads.... Ooo, and a first outing for an upgrade for the B3042.

I wonder why they opted to map the Gosport Ferry but not the Isle of Wight ferries?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps