1:25,000 maps year [SOLVED]

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: 1:25,000 maps year [SOLVED]

Post by Johnathan404 »

Steven wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 19:19 And thanks to some hard work by KeithW, the first few 1:25,000 maps on SABRE Maps now have their annotations giving revision code and date. Right now they're just the first few in Caithness, but I'm sure coverage will work its way from there, but it may take some time before full coverage is achieved - it's a lot of sheets!
Excellent news, thank you :)
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Catchpole wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 09:15 Perhaps the Society should have the facility for the collection of donations from users who don't actually take part in its construction or maintenance. Thanks to all who do.
Our treasurer, nowster, gratefully accepts donations via PayPal and bank transfer. Anyone wanting to donate can send him a private message for details - I don’t think we advertise this very well though.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Steven wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 19:19 And thanks to some hard work by KeithW, the first few 1:25,000 maps on SABRE Maps now have their annotations giving revision code and date. Right now they're just the first few in Caithness, but I'm sure coverage will work its way from there, but it may take some time before full coverage is achieved - it's a lot of sheets!
And since I wrote this, KeithW has been working incredibly hard at the annotations for the 1:25,000 map layer and I'm delighted to say that the entire layer is now completed, and every single map has an annotation giving the sheet number, revision and date.

Just to give people an understanding of the size of his undertaking, the average annotation file for a One Inch layer is around 20KB. The 1:25,000 file is 224KB, and contains 2027 lines, each corresponding to an individual map.

Thank you!
Last edited by Steven on Tue Mar 10, 2020 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thank you very much Keith - having been doing a lot of the annotations on some of the one inch layers recently, I also know how much work must have gone into that!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Steven wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 18:29 And since I wrote this, KeithW has been working incredibly hard at the annotations for the 1:25,000 map layer and I'm delighted to say that the entire layer is now completed, and every single map has an annotation giving the sheet number, revision and date.

Just to give people an understanding of the size of his undertaking, the average annotation file for a One Inch is around 20KB. The 1:25,000 file is 224KB, and contains 2027 lines, each corresponding to an individual map.

Thank you!
This is exactly the sort of small user experience improvement which SABRE Maps really benefits from. The more people lending a hand, the better the service. Thank you Keith for your work.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 19:51
Steven wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 18:29 And since I wrote this, KeithW has been working incredibly hard at the annotations for the 1:25,000 map layer and I'm delighted to say that the entire layer is now completed, and every single map has an annotation giving the sheet number, revision and date.

Just to give people an understanding of the size of his undertaking, the average annotation file for a One Inch is around 20KB. The 1:25,000 file is 224KB, and contains 2027 lines, each corresponding to an individual map.

Thank you!
This is exactly the sort of small user experience improvement which SABRE Maps really benefits from. The more people lending a hand, the better the service. Thank you Keith for your work.
That's a lot of behind the scenes magic being done that we wouldn't normally realise unless it was brought to public attention. Great work.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck