OS Miniscale

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

OS Miniscale

Post by Steven »

Uploaded today are a new collection of OS OpenData maps - OS Miniscale.

They're sort of a modern equivalent of the Route Planning Maps in that the show the whole of GB as an overview, so they're quite nice for seeing large changes in the network as time ticks by.

Currently we have the 2010, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2019 and the newly released 2020 revisions available - as usual, OS don't keep any of their old revisions so if you have any downloaded or on DVD, please shout up!

They're available currently on the OS Ten Mile layer group, though I'm not entirely sure that they should live there permanently and maybe should be on a layer group of their own. What are people's thoughts on this?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: OS Miniscale

Post by Bryn666 »

If they're sufficiently different to the Ten Miles I'd say a separate layer.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I think that eventually we might want them on different layers - I don't think it makes much difference at the moment though, as there's no overlap between them and the ten mile ones - interestingly they're more similar to the original ten mile series than the route planning one.

Another thing that bothers me is the quarter inch/1:25k being in with the one inch/1:50k maps - they should really also have their own group of layers eventually.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Its nice to see that the new A14 made it on to the 2020 map.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

OK, I've moved the Miniscale and the Route Planning Maps to new layer groups for each type.

I've also left them in the Ten Mile layer group for easy reversion - so now having seen the options which one do people prefer?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Steven wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 17:28 OK, I've moved the Miniscale and the Route Planning Maps to new layer groups for each type.

I've also left them in the Ten Mile layer group for easy reversion - so now having seen the options which one do people prefer?
Wow, that's an excellent set of feedback from everyone. I guess that's a universal "don't care" then!
Steven
Motorway Historian

ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

They're great maps, thanks for adding them in.

One of the things perhaps worth drawing out is that they are modern rather than historic - so maybe best in a separate layer?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've just noticed that all of them bar the 2020/19 ones list the A74(M) as the M74(M) - I've never moticed that before on my paper copies...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The 2021 edition has now been released, so, you know where to look!

:laugh:
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:21 The 2021 edition has now been released, so, you know where to look!

Thanks Steven - very few changes this time around - Lincoln bypass is completed... Depiction of Brampton Hut still a bit of a mess, although at this scale I'm not surprised!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:45
Steven wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:21 The 2021 edition has now been released, so, you know where to look!

Thanks Steven - very few changes this time around - Lincoln bypass is completed... Depiction of Brampton Hut still a bit of a mess, although at this scale I'm not surprised!
Yeah, there's a few stylistic changes - things like offshore wind farms and a new symbol for small towns, but there's not been much new road construction in the last 12 months.

I half-expected to see the new Northamptonshire top-tier authorities, but they're not due until April.
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:47
c2R wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:45

Yeah, there's a few stylistic changes - things like offshore wind farms and a new symbol for small towns, but there's not been much new road construction in the last 12 months.

I half-expected to see the new Northamptonshire top-tier authorities, but they're not due until April.

:)

I find the addition of windfarms a somewhat interesting decision - I can understand the purpose of adding them at other scales, but I'm not entirely sure how relevant they are to the miniscale series.... It sort of adds additional clutter to the map for I'm not sure what benefit.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Steven wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 17:45 ...as usual, OS don't keep any of their old revisions so if you have any downloaded or on DVD, please shout up!
How does copyright go with this as they are well under 50 years old.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 17:21
Steven wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 17:45 ...as usual, OS don't keep any of their old revisions so if you have any downloaded or on DVD, please shout up!
How does copyright go with this as they are well under 50 years old.
Certain OS mapping since 2010 has been released as OpenData, so are freely available to use within the appropriate Open Government Licence terms - Miniscale is one of them, as is 1:250k.

The full information can be found via the OS Datahub site.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There's some pretty decent mapping included such as TOID which appears to be 1:2500 scale. I can't believe they are giving such large scale mapping away for free when it used to cost a fortune for a 1km square sheet.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 17:43 There's some pretty decent mapping included such as TOID which appears to be 1:2500 scale. I can't believe they are giving such large scale mapping away for free when it used to cost a fortune for a 1km square sheet.
Be aware that some of it is location data rather than mapping.
Steven
Motorway Historian

jervi

Post by jervi »

Looking at the 2021 revision, there are still a few mistakes like in the last revision of the A46 West of Lincoln not showing part of the Dual Carriageway.
Its nice to see that there is a smaller town/village marker for the smaller towns, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation between what population gets each sized circle,
For example just looking at West Sussex (and slightly beyond);
Small - Billingshurst - 8k
Medium - Arundel - 3k
Medium - Burgess Hill - 30k
Large - Petersfield - 13k

Although it seems that 99% of "Primary Destinations" are marked as large, and almost all destinations marked within the M25 are Primary. This makes Scotch Corner look like a large town or city, when it is little more than a service area.
Also so roads under constrictions are not marked with a dashed line. The A52 Grantham Southern Relief Road for example
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The 2022 OS Miniscale mapping is out, and it's now available via both the main SABRE Maps front end, and via the SABRE Maps Sheetfinder.

There's a few more changes to see this year, in line with the additional road opening we've seen in 2021 compared to 2020.

Last year, I wrote:
Steven wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:47 I half-expected to see the new Northamptonshire top-tier authorities, but they're not due until April.
And now they're there too!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

And it's been 2023 for some time now, and so the latest annual release of the OS Miniscale product has been released, and so now it's on SABRE Maps and can be easily be compared with its predecessors.

So, what of the new roads that opened in 2022 can you find?

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... =6&layer=8
Steven
Motorway Historian

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

As it's January, along with the additional year of old maps dropping out of copyright, the OS have released the latest Miniscale.

It's now available on SABRE Maps for everyone to enjoy.

Other than the abolishment of Cumbria, what other changes can you find on there from the 2023 edition?
Steven
Motorway Historian