SABRE Maps experiments

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

SABRE Maps experiments

Post by Steven »

Similar to the recent addition of the OS One Inch New Popular Edition to an annual layer, I've now released another SABRE Maps experimental layer.

Take a look, and see what you think. Comments and thoughts for improvements are very welcome!
Last edited by Steven on Thu Feb 20, 2020 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: SABRE Maps experimental layer

Post by c2R »

I like the various plans layer, particularly with the OSM fader.... - it's another one that would be useful if any developer has some time and could figure out how to make the boundary data work so that we get an outline of the UK on the black though...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

c2R wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:34 I like the various plans layer, particularly with the OSM fader.... - it's another one that would be useful if any developer has some time and could figure out how to make the boundary data work so that we get an outline of the UK on the black though...
I did spend a bit of time looking at that but couldn't get it working, but I'm not an OpenLayers expert. I don't know if anyone else on the development team could have a look?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

This is brilliant!
c2R wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:34 I like the various plans layer, particularly with the OSM fader.... - it's another one that would be useful if any developer has some time and could figure out how to make the boundary data work so that we get an outline of the UK on the black though...
One alternative - I've no idea if this is easier or more difficult to implement - is to use another tileset to fill in the gaps. That would make it trickier to see the plans, though, admittedly.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

There are so many abandoned road schemes that once they've all been uploaded there won't be much black left :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Thanks to Ritchie333, the above mentioned vector layer showing the national boundaries within the UK and Ireland, including the coastline is now being shown across all "in-house" layers.

This should help you to orient yourself on any map layer where the shape of the maps does not lend itself to being obvious exactly where each available map is located - for example on the annual One Inch layers.

What do people think? Is it an improvement?
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks Steven, and Ritchie for this - it's really great, particularly on layers where we've got only a limited selection of maps.

Note that it does take a while to load/render over slow connections

Could we (at some point) add a toggle to turn it off, perhaps a tickbox underneath the map selection dropdown?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 08:19 Note that it does take a while to load/render over slow connections
Hmmm, I might have to try to simplify the vector (hence making the file size smaller) then if that's a common issue.
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It doesn't hold up the rendering of anything else..... My internet is _really_ slow so it could just be a problem for those of us that the telecommunications providers force to live in the past...
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm using my phone right now and there is a lot of lag. Also the map of Wolverhampton only fills a quarter of the screen on the phone at the maximum zoom setting.

Perhaps the UK outline can be rendered with fewer nodes to speed things up a bit.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'd suggest that we probably need to take the default for the layer off of the OSM general base layer, and just have it on by default on those layers which have a limited number of sheets. I know that Ritchie was looking at compressing it, which might help download speed. PErhaps we need as well to do something like detect if it is being used on mobile and disable it there?
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

There are tools out there to simplify geo traces (eg. minimum distance between points).
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

nowster wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 15:35 There are tools out there to simplify geo traces (eg. minimum distance between points).
earlier, I wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 08:24
c2R wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 08:19 Note that it does take a while to load/render over slow connections
Hmmm, I might have to try to simplify the vector (hence making the file size smaller) then if that's a common issue.
:wink: :laugh:

I've now made the vector much smaller (3k v 13k), so can people test the performance and let me know if there's any improvement? You might need to click on the Map Fader button to get it to show as Ritchie has now hidden it by default.
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 17:34
nowster wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 15:35 There are tools out there to simplify geo traces (eg. minimum distance between points).
earlier, I wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 08:24
:wink: :laugh:

I've now made the vector much smaller (3k v 13k), so can people test the performance and let me know if there's any improvement? You might need to click on the Map Fader button to get it to show as Ritchie has now hidden it by default.
I think you mean 3MB from 13MB , but yes, it's still at a perfectly adequate level of detail for the purposes we require...
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

There's another experiment on the 1963 One Inch layer. See if you can find what it is, and let me know whether it's a popular idea or not...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Nwallace

Re: SABRE Maps experiments

Post by Nwallace »

The OSNI map?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Nwallace wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 19:13 The OSNI map?
Yes, it is....

I like it - although I'm going to have to re-do all the bound files should we proceed as they say that the maps are unavailable in GB, and will need to say UK. That said, I think we should do it.

That said, the overlay doesn't quite match - it seems to be shifted a little to the southsoutheast.

The map though is really nice, showing an incomplete section of the M1, starting at J1 and ending at J6
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 00:43
Nwallace wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 19:13 The OSNI map?
Yes, it is....

I like it - although I'm going to have to re-do all the bound files should we proceed as they say that the maps are unavailable in GB, and will need to say UK. That said, I think we should do it.
Indeed. The problem with Irish one-inch maps of that time is that they're very old-fashioned, and don't include road numbers on them; whereas the Half-Inch maps (which barely existed as a series in GB in the 1960s) do include them both north and south of the border! We can either add OSI and OSNI One-Inch maps to the relevant OSGB annual layers, or we can add the OSI and OSNI Half-Inch maps to the OSGB One Inch annual layers, or we can keep them all completely separate.

How's the performance of the GB/Ireland overlay looking now I've made the filesize smaller?
Steven
Motorway Historian

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:58 I'm using my phone right now and there is a lot of lag. Also the map of Wolverhampton only fills a quarter of the screen on the phone at the maximum zoom setting.

Perhaps the UK outline can be rendered with fewer nodes to speed things up a bit.
Could you retry? Steven's simplified the boundary file - it's much improved now on my desktop PC and slow internet, but it would be interesting to see what the effect is on mobile use (and I've got an old phone, so I can't check).
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

It seems to load very quickly on 4G on an iPhone 8 for me at least. :)