SABRE Maps experiments

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: SABRE Maps experiments

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 09:30
Steven wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 09:54 There is, of course, a third option along with "same layers as standard" and "different layers to standard" - that of "they're not worth having, given the server space requirements and the small amount of coverage".
Are there any more thoughts on extending OSGB Tourist coverage?
Given that there are plenty of inaccuracies due to the mix-and-match approach adopted for their production, I think they're of limited value, pretty though they are.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm pro them, because they're artistically nice...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Would this extract help people decide?

It's from a Tourist sheet (Lake District, Revision C/*) and shows something completely missed by every Seventh Series revision.
penrith.JPG
penrith.JPG (38.48 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
To be fair, there's not too many of these I don't think, but there are some.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

An unusual terminus but it ties in with The Gazette notices of opening which showed the M6 opening in stages to temporary junctions with A6 at Hackthorpe and then Thrimby.

7 November 1968 opening for Catterlen (J41) to Hackthorpe https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... page/11597
13 December 1969 opening for Hackthorpe to Thrimby (on the map) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... page/12062
23 October 1970 opening for Thrimby to Carnforth https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... page/11188 (confirmed by Newspaper articles) with Southbound carriageway between Farleton (J36) and Carnforth opened earlier on 13 August 1970.

Ian
Ian
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

I'm pro-tourist maps, if I wasn't I wouldn't collect them...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I really really like the Tourist maps for their use of colours in contours. If I ever found one in excellent condition I would love a Lake District map framed on my wall.
I have a few Tourist maps in my collection which you are welcome to borrow for scanning.

OS Tourist Map of the Lake District, 1966 (major roads revised 1971). Based on One Inch Seventh Series maps from 1962-1964. Priced 55p.
Has been used and some folds have come apart.

OS Tourist Map of the Peak District, Crown Copyright 1963 (selected roads revised 1978). Compiled from One Inch Seventh Series maps from 1958-1960. Price £1.40 is stamped in a shiny silver. The M67 starts at J2 with barely a hint of going west.
Almost pristine, corners are bent.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

More of a "proof of concept" rather than an experiment per se uploaded this evening.

Thanks to Ritchie's work on this, we can now georeference Irish Bonne projection mapping, so on the 1951 One Inch layer there is a single OSI One Inch Third Edition sheet. If you think it looks a bit, well, Victorian, there's a reason for that. The actual full survey revision date of the map is 1899, with alterations being made over the next 52 years.

It means that we can now successfully use pre-Irish Grid mapping should we wish to - though as with this map, there tends to be no road numbers on them.

It also means that we can re-do some of the slightly later Irish mapping to include the full map. Like the Scottish Popular Edition, the maps were on the old projection, but with the new Irish Grid printed on them, so the maps are somewhat skew to the grid - but we could georeference Irish Grid maps, hence it was that or nothing...

Take a look, see what you think!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

That's really nice - thanks Steven, and thanks Ritchie for getting the warp tool working for it.

With this map, it's actually interesting how little has changed! There's the old ferries north east of Carrigat replaced by a bridge..
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

As ever excellent work all involved.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Steven wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 20:46
Given that there's a number of road changes caught only on Tourist maps and completely missed by the standard One Inch series such as a lovely temporary terminus on the A19 on the uploaded map (and maybe, just maybe the southern temporary terminus of the M6 Penrith Bypass on one of the Lake District revisions... :wink: ), they're worth having online.
Not the temporary southern terminus of the M6 Penrith bypass, but the second of two, as I've mentioned a couple of times over the years in "British and Irish Roads", and as Ross Spur confirms higher up this page. I had the good fortune to return by that route from a holiday in 1969 when one was coming to the end of its life and the other was about to replace it, so I saw both.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate Ross on all his fantastic work to improve the Wiki's information on opening dates, not to mention Steven and others on all their work on the maps.

Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:50
May I take this opportunity to congratulate Ross on all his fantastic work to improve the Wiki's information on opening dates, not to mention Steven and others on all their work on the maps.
My pleasure, and glad that it is useful. The vast amount of information on the Wiki beforehand and the multitude of maps has made it easier, so hear, hear to the other contributors too.
Ian