M1 motorway: the end (according to OS One Inch 7th Series mapping)

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Clearway

M1 motorway: the end (according to OS One Inch 7th Series mapping)

Post by Clearway »

According to the OS one inch map of 1968 (sheet 160, major roads rev. 1967; see Sabre maps) the M1 has a rather unusual termination at its southern end in Mill Hill. The motorway heads southeastwards alongside the Midland main line, then swings to the east to pass under the A1, about 3/4 mile southeast of Mill Hill station, turns sharply back to the south and west to form what looks like a T-junction with the A1. The curves look impossibly tight and if it was a T-junction, it seems a rather abrupt end to a motorway. Was the junction traffic light controlled or was there a tiny roundabout? Or was this just some mis-mapping by OS? On the next edition (1970, major roads rev. 1969-70; not yet on Sabre maps) there is a proper flow-separated junction between the A1 and M1.
Chris Bertram

Re: M1 motorway: the end (according to OS One Inch 7th Series mapping)

Post by Chris Bertram »

Clearway wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 According to the OS one inch map of 1968 (sheet 160, major roads rev. 1967; see Sabre maps) the M1 has a rather unusual termination at its southern end in Mill Hill. The motorway heads southeastwards alongside the Midland main line, then swings to the east to pass under the A1, about 3/4 mile southeast of Mill Hill station, turns sharply back to the south and west to form what looks like a T-junction with the A1. The curves look impossibly tight and if it was a T-junction, it seems a rather abrupt end to a motorway. Was the junction traffic light controlled or was there a tiny roundabout? Or was this just some mis-mapping by OS? On the next edition (1970, major roads rev. 1969-70; not yet on Sabre maps) there is a proper flow-separated junction between the A1 and M1.
It's a bit of a simplistic representation of what was there, remnants of which are still in place. If you look at the OS 1:25000 (Explorer) scale, you can see, in white, an old slip road leaving the motorway, curving under A1 and joining it at an angle, permitting only southbound continuation. There was a corresponding NB slip road, the stub of which is also visible on the map, leaving A1 to join the incomplete motorway. All motorway traffic had initially to use these slips, though later on the flyover from A1 Great North Way was opened. When the motorway was opened to Brent Cross, the slips were closed, the SB one being retained for emergency use, though how often it's been needed I don't know. It's barriered off at both ends, to the best of my knowledge.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 13:07
Clearway wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 According to the OS one inch map of 1968 (sheet 160, major roads rev. 1967; see Sabre maps) the M1 has a rather unusual termination at its southern end in Mill Hill. The motorway heads southeastwards alongside the Midland main line, then swings to the east to pass under the A1, about 3/4 mile southeast of Mill Hill station, turns sharply back to the south and west to form what looks like a T-junction with the A1. The curves look impossibly tight and if it was a T-junction, it seems a rather abrupt end to a motorway. Was the junction traffic light controlled or was there a tiny roundabout? Or was this just some mis-mapping by OS? On the next edition (1970, major roads rev. 1969-70; not yet on Sabre maps) there is a proper flow-separated junction between the A1 and M1.
It's a bit of a simplistic representation of what was there, remnants of which are still in place. If you look at the OS 1:25000 (Explorer) scale, you can see, in white, an old slip road leaving the motorway, curving under A1 and joining it at an angle, permitting only southbound continuation. There was a corresponding NB slip road, the stub of which is also visible on the map, leaving A1 to join the incomplete motorway. All motorway traffic had initially to use these slips, though later on the flyover from A1 Great North Way was opened. When the motorway was opened to Brent Cross, the slips were closed, the SB one being retained for emergency use, though how often it's been needed I don't know. It's barriered off at both ends, to the best of my knowledge.
It was in use for an extended period following IIRCthe Staples Corner bombing in 1992 - here's an old thread with some photos: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33552
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Gav

Post by Gav »

2.jpg
from old-maps

The M1 came down and then merged onto the existing road in an unusual way as shown.

in addition to this there was an alteration made to the flyover as a temporary measure to allow traffic to bypass and get onto the M1 earlier, and also this provided a flyover by using the other carriage way as a temporary route to take traffic over watford way from the Great North road. It was a wierd set up and existed for a few years until the M1 was extended south.
1sa.jpg
and a scan from a map
M1_J2_from_BP_1975_map_-_Coppermine_-_23.png
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The end? Surely that's the beginning!

I clicked on this thinking it would be about Leeds... very interesting though.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

More detail towards the end of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12321
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Gav

Post by Gav »

1970 M1 southern end....
M1.jpg
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Gav wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 20:18 1970 M1 southern end....

M1.jpg
Also available on SABRE Maps!
Gav

Post by Gav »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 21:09
Gav wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 20:18 1970 M1 southern end....

M1.jpg
Also available on SABRE Maps!
thats where I got it ! thank you
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

After it opened, living close to J12, I used the M1 regularly into London. From 1968 -1972 I commuted daily into Clapham, London and used all the variations of the M1/A1 junctions. Interesting days as I visited almost all of the London Borough workshops during the various changes took place to London traffic. However, keen as I am on driving, central London is now a no go for me whereas the Paris Peripherique still gives no qualms.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

It's visited (from 1.29-2.01) in Geoff and Jay Go Up The A1 (Part 2) on You Tube