Radio 4 - Mapping the Future

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

cb a1

Radio 4 - Mapping the Future

Post by cb a1 »

Wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but I'm sure someone can move it if it isn't.

Just listened to this programme on Radio 4 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kgt8

Really interesting if you're into what I guess you could describe as the Politics, Philosophy and Economics of mapping.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Radio 4 - Mapping the Future

Post by c2R »

I started to listen to that the other night, but fell asleep half way through - this was owing to my state of tiredness at the time, I should hasten to add, not a slight on the programme itself. Thanks for the reminder that I should go back and listen to it again!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
owen b

Re: Radio 4 - Mapping the Future

Post by owen b »

cb a1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 21:18 Wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but I'm sure someone can move it if it isn't.

Just listened to this programme on Radio 4 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kgt8

Really interesting if you're into what I guess you could describe as the Politics, Philosophy and Economics of mapping.
Thanks for the recommendation :) , I will make a note to listen to it. I finally finished reading the presenter of that programme's book "A History of the World in Twelve Maps" during lockdown. It was an excellent read although not the lightest. From the programme description it seems like it's based on similar material to the final chapter of the book.
Owen