1956 OS Ten Mile Road Map

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

1956 OS Ten Mile Road Map

Post by Steven »

Thanks to this post by someone,
someone wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:53 The Ten Mile Map for 1956 on Sabre Maps show the route to Dover as the A259, although the same titled map from N.L.S. show it as the A20, so the change must have been around then.
They were right too! As I mentioned on that thread,
According to the relevant works, there was only one revision published in the 1950s (which was the 1956 revision as stated). But looking carefully at the source map for the SABRE Maps version against the NLS version shows a few subtle differences in the marginalia - the NLS's states Revision A, whereas ours has no letter code. Theirs has the copyright date of 1956, whereas ours says 1955.

There's a few other subtle differences - the A339 between Newbury and Basingstoke is shown as Trunk on the NLS's map, and not on ours. My personal copy of the map matches the NLS's.

To cut a long story short, it looks like the copy on SABRE Maps is actually one of the final proof editions from 1955...
So, the "1956 Ten Mile Road Map" we've had on SABRE Maps for years (that I knew Ritchie had arranged with the British Library that we could reuse) turned out to be one of the ultra-rare proof editions from 1955, from which the roads were updated to give us the "real" 1956 map.

So, following that revelation, that map has been moved to a more correct 1955 label, and the real 1956 revision A map has been scanned, georeferenced, tiled and now uploaded to SABRE Maps. I've now found quite a number of differences between the two maps other than those mentioned on that thread (such as the A457 and A4126 not being shown fully on the 1955 proof edition) - what else is there?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: 1956 OS Ten Mile Road Map

Post by c2R »

This is really interesting - I've spotted that the A6120 is shown as trunk in the later version (and indeed the previous 1940s version, but not in the 1955 proof.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

The A228 only goes as far north as Hoo on the 1955 edition but reaches Grain in 1956.
B2074 appears in Ashford in the 1956 edition.
The A603 in Sandy gains a spur in 1956.
A500 in north west London becomes the A41 too.

One thing I'm not sure on though - what's the difference between a solid black line and a dashed one? I noticed the dashes only appear in urban areas but then the A406 loses a small section of "dashing" near Chiswick between the two editions, as does the A13 between the A112 and A117 near Beckton
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

frediculous_biggs wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 One thing I'm not sure on though - what's the difference between a solid black line and a dashed one? I noticed the dashes only appear in urban areas but then the A406 loses a small section of "dashing" near Chiswick between the two editions, as does the A13 between the A112 and A117 near Beckton
It's because of a peculiarity in the Trunk Road legislation - roads were not allowed to be Trunked through County Boroughs, so the dashed lines show where Trunk Roads go through County Boroughs.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner