Map Search facility

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Davidss

Map Search facility

Post by Davidss »

New here, just registered.
After logging in I cannot get the Find facility in the Map section to work, so would like some advice please.
I have looked at the Map FAQ, and cannot find any reference to the Find (Search) facility.
I have looked in the Forum, using the search facility; while some results appeared, none of the topics related to the Map page.
As Find search terms in the Map section I have tried Priestcliffe, Taddington, Blackwell, and SK139720. The response was the same "Sorry, that search did not find any grid references.".

When I Searched for A6 I was given the start and end 6 figure grid references, but 'A6 Taddington' reverted to the 'not found' response.

Any advice please?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Map Search facility

Post by c2R »

Hello,

The search is mainly linked to Wiki data... So searching for somewhere like Ely will appear because it is a significant place on the network. Similarly, roads will appear when you search for them. If you search for a grid reference, e.g. TL211211 it will appear. SK139720 worked for me when I tried it.

We are looking at a redesign with some improvements in the near future.

Is there anything particularly that you're trying to search for, or are you just browsing?

Regards
C2r
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Indeed - it currently searches data found on the SABRE Wiki.

You can use it to seach for:
* Roads
* Primary Destinations
* Intermediate and Terminal Destinations
* other important places on the road network
* Junctions
* Services
* Bridges, Tunnels and other Crossings

As well as six-figure OSGB Grid References, it also supports Irish Grid References.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Davidss

Post by Davidss »

Well, SK139720 worked for me, now :-)

I take your point about the facility finding 'significant' places by name, and by inference, not finding insignificant places. Memory Map has the same limitation! It's useful to know that the Sabre names data set is based on Wikipedia.

I was looking to see if Sabre revealed mapped changes to the white roads entering Priestcliffe from the North. Currently they are open to motorised traffic, but the Highway Authority (Derbyshire County Council) is going through a consultation process (DMMO) that may see them closed to motorised users. The decision could depend on evidence proving they were considered open to motorised users between 2004 and 1984, or earlier.

Thanks for your help.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Davidss wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 13:13 It's useful to know that the Sabre names data set is based on Wikipedia.
It's not! It's based on the SABRE Wiki - a wiki is just software that allows users to add, delete, or revise content by using a web browser - Wikipedia is just the most well-known one.
Davidss wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 13:13I was looking to see if Sabre revealed mapped changes to the white roads entering Priestcliffe from the North. Currently they are open to motorised traffic, but the Highway Authority (Derbyshire County Council) is going through a consultation process (DMMO) that may see them closed to motorised users. The decision could depend on evidence proving they were considered open to motorised users between 2004 and 1984, or earlier.
The latest available out-of-copyright data at the right scale for you for that area would probably be on the 1967 One Inch map layer. The next newest map at the right scale would be from the Landranger series and unfortunately would be still within copyright.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!