Ministry of Transport Road Maps and NI Road Maps

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Ministry of Transport Road Maps and NI Road Maps

Post by c2R »

Thanks again for these, Wolfie - I'm just looking through them now, they're great!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Yeah cheers :D Its not difficult to do if a little time consuming.
Wolfie

FB me!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Lonewolf wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:49 Yeah cheers :D Its not difficult to do if a little time consuming.
You're not wrong - I did one in the past by my time is currently occupied in preparing the next big thing ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Lonewolf wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:49Yeah cheers :D Its not difficult to do if a little time consuming.
It’s also a job not many people are willing to volunteer for (me included, to be honest) - so thank you for doing it. The results are brilliant, I’m just enjoying the Leeds area in 1924 and trying to spot some differences!
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

Lonewolf wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:49 Yeah cheers :D Its not difficult to do if a little time consuming.
Yes, great work. Thank you. They are gems for pinning down the 1920's network.

Here's a little change - the new B6423 at Worksop providing an west - east link which followed the opening of Memorial Avenue on 9 July 1928. See https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5 although its number is not shown.

On the same Sheffield 1929-30 map the cartographer must have had a bad day for inking in A6102 Prince Of Wales Road, Sheffield Outer Ring Road at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5 !
Ian
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Ross Spur wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 20:31
On the same Sheffield 1929-30 map the cartographer must have had a bad day for inking in A6102 Prince Of Wales Road, Sheffield Outer Ring Road at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5 !
It's worth comparing that to the 1924 version: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=2
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Ross Spur wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 20:31 On the same Sheffield 1929-30 map the cartographer must have had a bad day for inking in A6102 Prince Of Wales Road, Sheffield Outer Ring Road at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5 !
It looks very odd, but it's really common on MoT maps, where it's only the coloured overlays that are updated rather than the base map, which sometimes dated back to Victorian days.

It's why there are a number of examples where it looks like the person doing the colouring had been to the pub earlier that day, because the overlays included new short bypasses whereas the base maps didn't. There's a whole collection of them on this extract, with some short improvements all along the A63, the new section of A63 to South Cave, plus the bypass and bridge over the Ouse at Howden.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 21:56
Ross Spur wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 20:31 On the same Sheffield 1929-30 map the cartographer must have had a bad day for inking in A6102 Prince Of Wales Road, Sheffield Outer Ring Road at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5 !
It looks very odd, but it's really common on MoT maps, where it's only the coloured overlays that are updated rather than the base map, which sometimes dated back to Victorian days.

It's why there are a number of examples where it looks like the person doing the colouring had been to the pub earlier that day, because the overlays included new short bypasses whereas the base maps didn't. There's a whole collection of them on this extract, with some short improvements all along the A63, the new section of A63 to South Cave, plus the bypass and bridge over the Ouse at Howden.

The interesting thing about the Sheffield example is that the map background was updated to include a new estate in the later revision, but the red overlay wasn't updated. The even later map then shows the overlay still going through the estate.
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

Also new on the Sheffield 1929-30 MoT map (since the 1924-25 edition) are:

South Anston Bypass https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5
Ollerton Bypass https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 13&layer=5
Ian
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

So, yeah, I might have messed something up slightly, but I've made up for it!

I entirely forgot that the 1930-31 revision of Sheet 8 (Lancaster, Southport and Preston) had also been scanned at the same time as the others, and so it got missed out in the recent update.

So...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:35 So, yeah, I might have messed something up slightly, but I've made up for it!

I entirely forgot that the 1930-31 revision of Sheet 8 (Lancaster, Southport and Preston) had also been scanned at the same time as the others, and so it got missed out in the recent update.

So...
Lovely first appearance of the A5085 in Preston.

Edit - it's interesting that the B6242 wasn't downgraded when it opened...

From the SABRE Wiki: A5085 :

The A5085 was created in the mid-1920s to form a bypass of Preston city centre. It connects the A59 at the Hesketh Arms Roundabout to the A583 at a massive fork junction constructed in the 1960s. Until recently it was signposted as a Ring Road.

For most of the day this road remains horribly congested, despite being bypassed by the M55 in 1974.

The road starts in the Larches area of town, where the A583

... Read More