New: Guide to Stitching

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

New: Guide to Stitching

Post by c2R »

As lockdown has meant that I've got some free time, I've been playing at scanning some maps. I've learned a lot on the way (thanks to Steven for his never ending patience). I've written up the stitching process into a guide:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... /Stitching

The page also includes a zip file with some scanned sections for you to try out the stitching program yourselves. You should be able to combine the sections provided into a full map (as an exercise for the reader).

I've only got an A4 scanner, and it shows that it's relatively easy to achieve excellent results in scanning maps - so if any of you have a scanner and some old maps that we've not currently got on SABRE Maps, please get scanning and let us know.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Stitching :

Stitching is an essential part of the process of adding a new map to SABRE Maps. It is the process by which we can take a number of individual map scans, including from domestic A4 scanners, and recombine them to create the full map image.

To do so, we use software designed to create panoramic photographs called Hugin; and this article is designed as a step-by-step guide so that anyone interested in assisting with SABRE Maps can complete this process.

Hugin is available for

... Read More
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: New: Guide to Stitching

Post by M4Simon »

Looking forward to trying this as I struggled to get decent results when I tried. Thanks Chris.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

M4Simon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 18:17 Looking forward to trying this as I struggled to get decent results when I tried. Thanks Chris.

Simon
I've tried to put screenshots every step of the way, but please do let me know if you want a hand!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks to M4Simon so far for trying this out.

I've used feedback so far from Simon, Steven, and others to add additional detail to the page: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... /Stitching - including information on what can go wrong and how to fix it.

Any other feedback from anyone would be most welcome - and remember, there's a free prize of a digital copy of a map for anyone that manages to follow the instructions!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Stitching :

Stitching is an essential part of the process of adding a new map to SABRE Maps. It is the process by which we can take a number of individual map scans, including from domestic A4 scanners, and recombine them to create the full map image.

To do so, we use software designed to create panoramic photographs called Hugin; and this article is designed as a step-by-step guide so that anyone interested in assisting with SABRE Maps can complete this process.

Hugin is available for

... Read More