More Wisbech - B1171 and A1135

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

More Wisbech - B1171 and A1135

Post by c2R »

Is Wisbech the Chelmsford of the Fens with its renumbering over time?

We've already had the excitement here of the B1542 being a renumbering of the B1441 after its brief haitus as a Class III roads viewtopic.php?f=48&t=42174 and of course the well known rerouting of the A47 in the areas.

And now I present this, the A1135, from 1986

This road is currently the C309_(Cambridgeshire). The 1969 One Inch map says that it used to be the B1171 - https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4&layer=40
Now, interestingly, the MOT map give the B1171 as the road now known as the C28 (Cambridgeshire) - so this road number has moved, if the maps are correct.

Also interesting, is that our wiki page gives the A1135 as being an earlier incarnation of the B198 (Wisbech) - itself interesting as a duplication of the Cheshunt based road.

So, is our wiki wrong - was the A1135 ever the B198? The Domesday book landrangers show the A47 running through Wisbech and the A1135 then cutting off the corner - which would have been immediately prior to the bypass opening, so I suspect the wiki could be wrong...

Any takers?!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Ross Spur

Re: More Wisbech - B1171 and A1135

Post by Ross Spur »

I have a couple of OS Routemasters around the time. 1983 shows the road as an A road (no number shown due to small scale) and the bypass under construction. 1987 shows the bypass, and the former A road as unclassified. I've no other maps to narrow it down to just after the bypass opened in June 1984.
Ian
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Sorry, I don't have any editions of Landranger sheet 143 at all. I'll see what I can find on Routemaster sheet 6 revision F which I think is between the two Ross Spur mentions, but I'm not sure whether that will be this evening.

I'm not completely sure what you're asking though - is it whether the B198 ever ran along the road shown in your extract as A1135?

(One thing that is interesting is that the second version of B1171 is shown on the 1963 One Inch map as an unclassified road, but with the B1171 label next to it!)
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I suppose we need a few things for the wiki

1a. did the A1135 ever run along the route of the old A47 through the centre of Wisbech, which was later the B198 like the wiki says?
1b. Or did it ever run along the southern section, from the terminus in the map to meet the A47 back at the bypass?
1c. Or was it like the map shows, and as soon as the bypass opened, did it terminate on the B198 for a bit?
1d. Or is the map in error and that as soon as the bypass opened, it became a Class III road

2. when did the A1135 come into being, taking over from the (presumably) second incarnation of the B1171?

3. when did the B1171 move?

Who knew Wisbech was so exciting from a numbering perspective? There's quite a few interesting things on these old landrangers I'm scanning - but that's probably the most interesting rabbit hole that I've fallen down!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 18:30 I suppose we need a few things for the wiki

1a. did the A1135 ever run along the route of the old A47 through the centre of Wisbech, which was later the B198 like the wiki says?
1b. Or did it ever run along the southern section, from the terminus in the map to meet the A47 back at the bypass?
1c. Or was it like the map shows, and as soon as the bypass opened, did it terminate on the B198 for a bit?
1d. Or is the map in error and that as soon as the bypass opened, it became a Class III road
Mapping I can find is inconclusive. At the scales I can get hold of, there appears to be a short period in 1984-85 where according to both OS Routemaster and Routeplanner scales both the bypass is open and the old route through the town is also Class I, but I don't have anything at the right scales to show the numbers of either route. Basically we need Landranger 143 Second Edition revision A/*, which was published in March 1985, to shed more light on the situation. I can find a number of other maps from different publishers of a slightly later date to suggest that, yes, for a while the A1135 did indeed terminate on the B198.
2. when did the A1135 come into being, taking over from the (presumably) second incarnation of the B1171?
It's on the 1974 Route Planning Map, and on the 1974 Quarter Inch map, and not on the previous editions. Balance of probabilities therefore says 1973.
3. when did the B1171 move?
It's shown as running from the A47 along its original route via Coalwharf Road, Somers Road and Queens Road on the OS Six Inch map from 1953, with the same route on the 1:10,560 map from 1959.

As mentioned above, it's (badly) on the later route on the 1963 One Inch map, putting the change in the 1960-63 region.
Last edited by Steven on Thu May 20, 2021 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

owen b

Post by owen b »

I have a 1981 OS 1:50,000. It's not very exciting. The bypass is not under construction. Wisbech has the A47, A1101, and the A1135 linking the two in the southern quadrant of the town.
Owen
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The DfT list states that the A1135 was Weasenham Lane, which is the road shown on the OS map extract.
While this confirms that the OS map is correct at an unknown point in time, it doesn't really answer any other questions.

Chris - I'll leave you to try and make some sense of that Wiki page!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

It's probably just that not downgrading the A1135 alongside the old A47 through Wisbech was an oversight, but could there have ever been a plan to use Weasenham Lane as part of some kind of A1101 relief road or a link to a more southerly extra river crossing? The alignment would sort of fit, and it might explain keeping the road as an A-road.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world