The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15934
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:31

Geographer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:16
When I entered the OS Ref to & from in the Routebox it showed the number twice - how do I correct this?
It's because you've put it in the wrong format.

If you follow the instructions on the help Wiki Guide page it tells you how to use SABRE Maps to find the grid references (and lat and lon) which uses the correct format that you need.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 20:17

I have created a page for the U2610 but unfortunately I have missed a bracket off the title, I can not see how to correct it.

U2610Suffolk)

Can someone please help solve this?

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 7350
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by c2R » Thu Jun 06, 2019 20:42

Fixed; I moved the page.
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15934
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven » Thu Jun 06, 2019 20:44

Unfortunately though, that's not a Class III road. It's unclassified, hence shouldn't have an article unless it's notable for some other reason.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:28

I do accept what you say, but what else do I put in the class box - U road and unclassified does'nt work.

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:29

Thank you c2R

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 01:48

I have just discovered that unclassified in lower case does work

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15934
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven » Fri Jun 07, 2019 08:45

Geographer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 22:28
I do accept what you say, but what else do I put in the class box - U road and unclassified does'nt work.
You shouldn't, because the article shouldn't exist unless it's a particularly notable unclassified road. If all that can be written is a basic couple of sentences "it goes from here to here via here", then it's clearly not notable enough.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42

Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15934
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04

Geographer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42
Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.
All the footpaths maintained by Suffolk County Council also have numbers (prefixed by "F") allocated by them. Do you wish to write articles for every footpath? What value does that bring?

This is why the line is drawn at Class III roads unless there is a very good reason for a specific unclassified road to have an article.

It's not the fact that a number is allocated that is important - it's the fact that it is a Class III (or Classified Unnumbered) road. Unclassified roads are just not important enough, whether the local authority chooses to number them all or not.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 16:14

Steven - No I do not want to document footpaths on here that is one of things geograph.org.uk is for, I can see that you have to draw the line somewhere. I can see this site would not want Byways as very often they are tracks but most U Roads are tarmaced.

User avatar
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator
Posts: 15934
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 20:39
Location: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Steven » Fri Jun 07, 2019 17:46

Geographer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 16:14
most U Roads are tarmaced.
So is the little residential cul-de-sac I live on. It is also an unclassified road in exactly the same way as the roads you are concentrating on. It is also utterly unremarkable and should not have an article.

So what is the difference other than the local authority doing things in a different way?

I'm sure that there are lots of actual Class III roads near to you which will have value on the SABRE Wiki.
Steven

Pathetic Motorways: tastier than a well-chewed slipper.
Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Member
Posts: 10495
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Chris Bertram » Fri Jun 07, 2019 19:04

Steven wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04
Geographer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42
Steven - I understand what you are saying but it is still a road with a name maintained by the County Council all be it unclassified.
All the footpaths maintained by Suffolk County Council also have numbers (prefixed by "F") allocated by them. Do you wish to write articles for every footpath? What value does that bring?

This is why the line is drawn at Class III roads unless there is a very good reason for a specific unclassified road to have an article.

It's not the fact that a number is allocated that is important - it's the fact that it is a Class III (or Classified Unnumbered) road. Unclassified roads are just not important enough, whether the local authority chooses to number them all or not.
The slight difficulty with Class III roads is that not all councils have numbering schemes for such roads (I'm unaware of any such scheme in Birmingham, for instance), and that councils differ in how they identify their roads, even when they do number them; while many councils *do* call them "C" roads, Wolverhampton, for one, uses "U" instead. There is no national standard for this.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Geographer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 18:43

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Geographer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:56

Steven - Thank you for your reply. There are lots of Class III roads near to me that I do intend to submit.

User avatar
Euan
Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 07:59
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Euan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 09:29

Apologies for the delay, but I have now more or less covered the class III network in County Fermanagh after reaching the fourth significant gap in he NI class III numbering sequence (C453-C500 are all unused). The only exception to this may be a couple of C7xx numbers near the border which could crop up at the end, as is the case with Belfast. County Fermanagh seems to have been originally allocated the C401-C500 number range with C452 being the highest used number.

The numbering roughly follows this order in geographical terms:
Image
The distribution of the numbers can therefore be broken down into rough groups as follows:
:arrow: C401 - C413 North Fermanagh/Kesh/Irvinestown
:arrow: C414 - C423 Enniskillen to Fivemiletown
:arrow: C424 - C430 Rosslea/Lisnaskea/Newtownbutler
:arrow: C431 - C436 Upper Lough Erne
:arrow: C437 - C448 West Fermanagh/Belcoo/Garrison
:arrow: C449 - C452 misc
Of these numbers only C410, C420, C432 and C437 are not currently in use with the C410 never being used and the other three being defunct. I presume C449 to be out of sequence as it is located to the east of Belcoo amongst the low C440s rather than out towards the far west of the county with other like-numbers.

Compared with other counties that I have covered so far the geographical sequence for Fermanagh seems to be much more straightforward with just a simple clockwise circuit of the two main loughs, rather than all of the zigzagging and hopping back and forth that is common elsewhere. Next is County Londonderry/Derry.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

scott125
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 14:50

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by scott125 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04

Roadworks sign in Balfron was showing C321

Clygro
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 08:14
Location: Medway
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Clygro » Mon Aug 05, 2019 17:40

I remember seeing some Cxx & Cx signs for the M20 during roadworks about a year ago, they are obviously some construction marker. Any more details?
Owner of http://roadways.ml/
I’ve visited these Roads; A11(2019) A14(2019)M11(2012, 2013 and 2019) and M3(2015, 2017 and 2018)

Post Reply