Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Post by Johnathan404 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:44

I did not know that Southampton has its own numbered cycle route network, SCN1-SCN9.

It is numbered clockwise around the city with two additional orbital routes. It is more of a programme of targetted improvements because some of those roads are not good candidates for promoting cycling.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham

Peter350

Re: Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Post by Peter350 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:51

I've known about this for a while but seeing as it appears to be a hub-and-spoke radial network, I think it would be much more logical if the eastern sections of SCN 4, 2, 5, 3 and 1 were numbered SCN 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 respectively. I doubt there would be a huge amount of cross-city traffic using the entire lengths of the routes proposed.

jervi

Post by jervi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 22:35

Seems pretty good, If only more cities could be asked to have streets dedicated to cycles.
I had a look at some of the choke points on the routes, and it is as if the Local Council put in new cycle lanes before new legislation would block them. Looking and the lane widths and shared spaces, especially on the bridges and main roads.
http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/h ... ian195.pdf

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R » Mon Nov 25, 2019 23:23

Peter350 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:51
I've known about this for a while but seeing as it appears to be a hub-and-spoke radial network, I think it would be much more logical if the eastern sections of SCN 4, 2, 5, 3 and 1 were numbered SCN 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 respectively. I doubt there would be a huge amount of cross-city traffic using the entire lengths of the routes proposed.
Interesting... This document: https://transport.southampton.gov.uk/me ... -final.pdf linked to from the web page does indeed split some of the routes at the central hub, and of course introduces some renumbering....
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt