The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by c2R » Tue Dec 17, 2019 18:53

Here's a couple of fingerposts featuring C Roads in County Antrim that I spotted yesterday. They're showing some signs of wear and tear....

Image


Image
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by frediculous_biggs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 00:53

StockburyRoundabout wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:59
I’ve been spending time trying to think of suggestions but couldn’t come up with anything. My mind went blank the moment I wanted to make a suggestion for SABRE’s future. Not very convenient!
I'm about 3/4 of the way through tracing all the C roads in Kent - as someone with an interest in Kentish roads, there's a whole batch of wiki articles waiting to be written! :wink:

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by c2R » Sat Jun 20, 2020 09:30

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 00:53
StockburyRoundabout wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:59
I’ve been spending time trying to think of suggestions but couldn’t come up with anything. My mind went blank the moment I wanted to make a suggestion for SABRE’s future. Not very convenient!
I'm about 3/4 of the way through tracing all the C roads in Kent - as someone with an interest in Kentish roads, there's a whole batch of wiki articles waiting to be written! :wink:
I've worked out a method for batch importing stubs for roads from a list, and if your traces are all named in the same format, they'd be able to be included in that import.

I've done Lincolnshire; and started the slow process of working through the roads one at a time to add content, and traces.

This is the sort of page that you get after the itinial import: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... colnshire)
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

From the SABRE Wiki: C234 %28Lincolnshire%29 :

[Category:Auto Generated Route Stubs]]

The C234 maintained by Lincolnshire Council is ...

It is described in the freedom of information requestas being: | class="wikitable sortable" !ROADNUMBER!!ROADNAME!!SITE_CODE!!LENGTH!!ROADCLASS!!PARISH!!DESCRIPTION |- ||C234||OLD LEYS LANE||43438342||2971.00||C||WILLOUGHTON||B1398 MIDDLE STREET - A15 |

... Read More

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by frediculous_biggs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32

Ahhhh interesting, thanks.

The thing I need to do is work out a way of seeing which C roads cross or meet others so I can fill in the "Meets" bit correctly

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by c2R » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:46

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32
Ahhhh interesting, thanks.

The thing I need to do is work out a way of seeing which C roads cross or meet others so I can fill in the "Meets" bit correctly
That's not too much of a problem if you've done your traces first...

When you've got all your traces done, we can generate a map like this: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... III_roads) (but bigger, if you need it to be!)

Again, if the traces are named similarly, it will be easy to auto-generate it.

If you hover over the traces on the map, you'll see their numbers in the trace filename. You'll then be able to see by following the road which other roads they intersect, as their traces will also be present.

Final step then is to look at the borders with the other authorities, to see if the Class III road is matched by another the other side of the border, if we hold that information.
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

From the SABRE Wiki: Milton Keynes Council %28Class III roads%29 :

Milton Keynes Council's Class III roads use Buckinghamshire Council's numbering system as they were part of the same Highway Authority until 1997.

The H and V grid system, are all part of the C road network, but not with their H and V numbers. With the exceptions of where the roads already had numbers, Horizontal 'Hx' roads were given C14x numbers (H10 being C150), and Vertical 'Vx' roads given C15x

... Read More

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by c2R » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32
Ahhhh interesting, thanks.

The thing I need to do is work out a way of seeing which C roads cross or meet others so I can fill in the "Meets" bit correctly
c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:46

That's not too much of a problem if you've done your traces first...

When you've got all your traces done, we can generate a map like this: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... III_roads) (but bigger, if you need it to be!)

Again, if the traces are named similarly, it will be easy to auto-generate it.

If you hover over the traces on the map, you'll see their numbers in the trace filename. You'll then be able to see by following the road which other roads they intersect, as their traces will also be present.

Final step then is to look at the borders with the other authorities, to see if the Class III road is matched by another the other side of the border, if we hold that information.

Here you go: User:Frediculous_biggs/Sandbox
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

From the SABRE Wiki: Milton Keynes Council %28Class III roads%29 :

Milton Keynes Council's Class III roads use Buckinghamshire Council's numbering system as they were part of the same Highway Authority until 1997.

The H and V grid system, are all part of the C road network, but not with their H and V numbers. With the exceptions of where the roads already had numbers, Horizontal 'Hx' roads were given C14x numbers (H10 being C150), and Vertical 'Vx' roads given C15x

... Read More

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: SABRE: the future, what do YOU want us to be?

Post by frediculous_biggs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 13:04

c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56
Here you go: User:Frediculous_biggs/Sandbox
Oh, that's perfect! Thank you very much!

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by c2R » Sat Jun 20, 2020 14:17

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 13:04
c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56
Here you go: User:Frediculous_biggs/Sandbox
Oh, that's perfect! Thank you very much!
No worries, how far through them are you, with the tracing? I see how you've structured the traces and can extract the list of routes from them all. When you're ready for me to import the stub template pages let me know and I'll get out the AutoWikiBrowser!
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by frediculous_biggs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 15:03

I'm up to C433 with the highest being C672.
In my spreadsheet extracted from the Kent CC list, I'm on row 1574 of 1967.

Each row is a road name in a given town, so there's quite a variation. I'm finding that these higher numbers tend to be shorter

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by frediculous_biggs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 16:05

c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 14:17
frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 13:04
c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56
Here you go: User:Frediculous_biggs/Sandbox
Oh, that's perfect! Thank you very much!
No worries, how far through them are you, with the tracing? I see how you've structured the traces and can extract the list of routes from them all. When you're ready for me to import the stub template pages let me know and I'll get out the AutoWikiBrowser!
All done! I won't have any time over the next few weeks to write the articles though

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by c2R » Wed Jun 24, 2020 17:47

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 16:05
c2R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 14:17
frediculous_biggs wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 13:04


Oh, that's perfect! Thank you very much!
No worries, how far through them are you, with the tracing? I see how you've structured the traces and can extract the list of routes from them all. When you're ready for me to import the stub template pages let me know and I'll get out the AutoWikiBrowser!
All done! I won't have any time over the next few weeks to write the articles though
Not a problem - it took me months to do Cambridgeshire, and will probably take just as long for me to do Lincolnshire. I'll generate you up the stub pages when I get a moment and also update your map...
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by frediculous_biggs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 19:02

c2R wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 17:47
Not a problem - it took me months to do Cambridgeshire, and will probably take just as long for me to do Lincolnshire. I'll generate you up the stub pages when I get a moment and also update your map...
Thanks, I'm glad to have the traces done!

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by c2R » Wed Jun 24, 2020 23:54

frediculous_biggs wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 19:02
c2R wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 17:47
Not a problem - it took me months to do Cambridgeshire, and will probably take just as long for me to do Lincolnshire. I'll generate you up the stub pages when I get a moment and also update your map...
Thanks, I'm glad to have the traces done!
Kent_Council_(Class_III_roads) All Done -> pages imported with traces and distance, categories created, traces linked,disambig pages created,navbox cat template created

Pages are put in this category when the stubs were created: Category:Auto Generated Route Stubs remove them when you get around to updating them.


Over to you!
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

From the SABRE Wiki: Kent Council (Class III roads) :

ent Council uses the letter C to indicate its classified roads. Some roads may leave the authority, but continue with their previous number when returning. Some others also may leave the authority and continue with the same number in Medway. Both of these are consequences of Medway becoming a unitary authority once the C designations had been assigned.


List of roads in Kent, with classification

... Read More

User avatar
frediculous_biggs
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 1243
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:25
Location: Sandy

Re: Kent C Roads

Post by frediculous_biggs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 08:06

c2R wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 23:54
frediculous_biggs wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 19:02
c2R wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 17:47
Not a problem - it took me months to do Cambridgeshire, and will probably take just as long for me to do Lincolnshire. I'll generate you up the stub pages when I get a moment and also update your map...
Thanks, I'm glad to have the traces done!
Kent_Council_(Class_III_roads) All Done -> pages imported with traces and distance, categories created, traces linked,disambig pages created,navbox cat template created

Pages are put in this category when the stubs were created: Category:Auto Generated Route Stubs remove them when you get around to updating them.


Over to you!
Ah brilliant! Thank you!

From the SABRE Wiki: Kent Council (Class III roads) :

ent Council uses the letter C to indicate its classified roads. Some roads may leave the authority, but continue with their previous number when returning. Some others also may leave the authority and continue with the same number in Medway. Both of these are consequences of Medway becoming a unitary authority once the C designations had been assigned.


List of roads in Kent, with classification

... Read More

User avatar
Gareth Thomas
Member
Posts: 1324
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 13:43
Location: Hawkinge, Kent
Contact:

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Gareth Thomas » Fri Jun 26, 2020 00:54

Turns out I live just off the C215! I never knew I needed to know that. :-)
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown

User avatar
Euan
Member
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 07:59
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Euan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:49

I am hoping to finish off the remaining wiki pages for the C roads in Northern Ireland in the not too distant future, which are mostly located within County Tyrone. I admit that I became a bit side-tracked for a time while looking closely at class III networks elsewhere, but I have certainly not completely forgotten about NI. Unfortunately I have only just realised that the original link to the NI route list on the DfI website is dead, but luckily the same list has been made available as a spreadsheet via a Freedom of Information request from 2015:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _roads_420

I believe this same person's other FoI requests helped massively in obtaining a full set of Scottish lists for the wiki back in 2017, as well as a handful of English ones. This list should remain available as it is a spreadsheet from a FoI request, so hopefully accessing it will not be a problem before I get a chance to finish all of the NI wiki pages.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by c2R » Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:56

I can generate you the remaining stub pages, as I have done for frediculous_biggs (Kent) and myself (Lincolnshire) if you want? That might save you some time? If you review the past few pages of this thread you'll see what I mean....
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
Euan
Member
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 07:59
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Euan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 09:14

c2R wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:56
I can generate you the remaining stub pages, as I have done for frediculous_biggs (Kent) and myself (Lincolnshire) if you want? That might save you some time? If you review the past few pages of this thread you'll see what I mean....
I’ve yet to complete the traces for the remaining routes. Up until now I have been working with batches of about six routes at a time tracing them out and then writing the articles. At the moment I am on C627 and the highest number is C711, although within this there is a gap between the Tyrone component of the sequence and “additional” routes at the very end of the sequence with numbers over 700.

I’m perfectly happy for you to generate the remaining stub pages. If I need to have the routes traced out first then I can just work on that for now and revisit the thread once I am finished.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

User avatar
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin
Posts: 8554
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:01

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by c2R » Wed Jul 01, 2020 09:24

Euan wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 09:14
c2R wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:56
I can generate you the remaining stub pages, as I have done for frediculous_biggs (Kent) and myself (Lincolnshire) if you want? That might save you some time? If you review the past few pages of this thread you'll see what I mean....
I’ve yet to complete the traces for the remaining routes. Up until now I have been working with batches of about six routes at a time tracing them out and then writing the articles. At the moment I am on C627 and the highest number is C711, although within this there is a gap between the Tyrone component of the sequence and “additional” routes at the very end of the sequence with numbers over 700.

I’m perfectly happy for you to generate the remaining stub pages. If I need to have the routes traced out first then I can just work on that for now and revisit the thread once I am finished.
I don't need the traces first - as FB had already done them meant that I didn't need to get the list from anywhere else.

If you paste the list of numbers you want generating here, then I'll use that and create you a bundle of stubs. It just saves a little bit of time :)

Edit - I take it its just the red ones from the infobox:
C628 • C629 • C630 • C631 • C632 • C633 • C634 • C635 • C636 • C637 • C638 • C639 • C640 • C641 • C642 • C643 • C644 • C645 • C646 • C647 • C648 • C649 • C650 • C651 • C652 • C653 • C654 • C655 • C656 • C657 • C658 • C659 • C660 • C661 • C662 • C663 • C664 • C665 • C666 • C667 • C668 • C669 • C670 • C671 • C672 • C673 • C674 • C675 • C676 • C677 • C678 • C679 • C680 • C681 • C682 • C683 • C684 • C685 • C686 • C687 • C688 • C689 • C690 • C691 • C692 • C693 • C694 • C695 • C696 • C697 • C698 • C699 • C700 • C701 • C702 • C703 • C704 • C705 • C706 • C707 • C708 • C709 • C710 • C711
Are you feeling bored? Wiki: Things to do - Join the Great C Road Hunt

User avatar
Euan
Member
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 07:59
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by Euan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 14:22

c2R wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 09:24
Euan wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 09:14
c2R wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:56
I can generate you the remaining stub pages, as I have done for frediculous_biggs (Kent) and myself (Lincolnshire) if you want? That might save you some time? If you review the past few pages of this thread you'll see what I mean....
I’ve yet to complete the traces for the remaining routes. Up until now I have been working with batches of about six routes at a time tracing them out and then writing the articles. At the moment I am on C627 and the highest number is C711, although within this there is a gap between the Tyrone component of the sequence and “additional” routes at the very end of the sequence with numbers over 700.

I’m perfectly happy for you to generate the remaining stub pages. If I need to have the routes traced out first then I can just work on that for now and revisit the thread once I am finished.
I don't need the traces first - as FB had already done them meant that I didn't need to get the list from anywhere else.

If you paste the list of numbers you want generating here, then I'll use that and create you a bundle of stubs. It just saves a little bit of time :)

Edit - I take it its just the red ones from the infobox:
C628 • C629 • C630 • C631 • C632 • C633 • C634 • C635 • C636 • C637 • C638 • C639 • C640 • C641 • C642 • C643 • C644 • C645 • C646 • C647 • C648 • C649 • C650 • C651 • C652 • C653 • C654 • C655 • C656 • C657 • C658 • C659 • C660 • C661 • C662 • C663 • C664 • C665 • C666 • C667 • C668 • C669 • C670 • C671 • C672 • C673 • C674 • C675 • C676 • C677 • C678 • C679 • C680 • C681 • C682 • C683 • C684 • C685 • C686 • C687 • C688 • C689 • C690 • C691 • C692 • C693 • C694 • C695 • C696 • C697 • C698 • C699 • C700 • C701 • C702 • C703 • C704 • C705 • C706 • C707 • C708 • C709 • C710 • C711
All of those numbers except C641, C685-C700, C705 and C707 need to be generated. Based on the route list these numbers do not appear to be in use in Northern Ireland.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

Post Reply