Wiki Project - road signs

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Re: Wiki Project - road signs

Post by DavidNW9 »

I've said it numerous times but the pre-Worboys Wiki gallery is thoroughly mixed up with maybe 20% of signs in each bunch not being in the right one, a small group of Worboys signs which shouldn't be in any, and a good number of repeats (often the same sign photo from different locations hosting it). Having established members can't go in and edit the galleries besides their own entries I can do no more but add the occasional reminder as it's a very easy task if you know which is which.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

You can change the galleries any photos in the wiki are in, just press edit and change what is in the |gallery1 = etc lines.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:Having established members can't go in and edit the galleries besides their own entries
Yes they can.

You're thinking of the old Coppermine gallery that's been defunct for some years now.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

As I work through the pages I am trying to 'correct' any PW signs that I find in the wrong place, whilst also adding them to the new page galleries. However, if anyone else with better knowledge wants to work through them before I get to them, please carry on!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I would love to do so, I found 17 in the directions alone, but don't know what to do (I tried the edit button and everything went funny, and could see no other way in).
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:I would love to do so, I found 17 in the directions alone, but don't know what to do (I tried the edit button and everything went funny, and could see no other way in).
Can you point me at one, and I'll step you through the process.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

When you go in to edit the image details it is the lines at the bottom which say gallery1, gallery2 etc that you need to edit.
gallery edit.jpg
gallery edit.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 25091 times
You can add as many galleries as are relevant (the above example has two), but they need to be entered exactly as they appear on the gallery page (ie case dependant) so copy and pasting is a good idea to ensure it is correct.

Also, while you are editing any image details, if the image is missing a map it is worth adding co-ordinates to the lat and lng lines if you know where they are (eg photos of yours which have been transferred from Coppermine). This is a handy link for finding lat/longs: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Glen wrote:This is a handy link for finding lat/longs: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
SABRE Maps is even more handy...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Steven wrote:SABRE Maps is even more handy...
I forgot the "you clicked on" had the lat/long as well as grid ref. :oops:
vlad

Post by vlad »

Steven wrote:
Glen wrote:This is a handy link for finding lat/longs: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
SABRE Maps is even more handy...
...only it only works in the UK and Ireland. :wink:
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

OK, now I know to rewrite the gallery manually so the first task for me is this one here http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... -_6350.jpg (sorry, no idea how to make hyperlinks here) and will first remove the PW from the gallery and then find the wording for the fingerposts. Wish me luck...

Update, it's certainly left the directions set (hooray!) but has not appeared in the fingerposts where I replaced it. Getting there...

I've also discovered there's a fingerpost gallery and a pre-Worboys fingerpost gallery, but there's no such thing as they weren't affected by Worboys. I'm guessing I could move the lot over to fingerposts and then remove the surplus gallery altogether next, but suspect the final step may be better done by someone with more experience. I'll finish moving all the PW signs around over the next few days, so far everything I remove stays removed but although the tags don't change after the edit (is there a delay built in?) so the changes don't either stick or move them where they've been sent.
Last edited by DavidNW9 on Thu May 17, 2012 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:sorry, no idea how to make hyperlinks here
You can surround the Wiki page with [ wiki] and [ /wiki] tags to get a link on the Forums. Just bin the spaces I've put in my example tags!

The Wiki also puts underscores as a replacement for spaces - spaces are fine, so "|gallery3 = Pre-Worboys Fingerpost Signs" would be fine.
Steven
Motorway Historian

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Dircetion signs

I think I must be getting old, it uses the same system as usual but needs inputting manually.

I've sent this one from fingerposts to directions, they seem to vanish pretty sharpish but not appear where I've sent them. I don't want to wipe them all out by accident if I'm just shifting them around.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Dircetion signs

I think I must be getting old, it uses the same system as usual but needs inputting manually.

I've sent this one from fingerposts to directions, they seem to vanish pretty sharpish but not appear where I've sent them. I don't want to wipe them all out by accident if I'm just shifting them around.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

DavidNW9 wrote:I've sent this one from fingerposts to directions, they seem to vanish pretty sharpish but not appear where I've sent them. I don't want to wipe them all out by accident if I'm just shifting them around.
OK, what you've done is include them in both galleries. Each galleryx link is used to categorise things a separate gallery, so it started life as:

Code: Select all

|gallery1     = Pre-Worboys Fingerpost Signs
|gallery2     = 
|gallery3     = 
|gallery4     = 
This meant that it appeared in the "Pre-Worboys Fingerpost Signs" gallery only.

You then changed it to:

|gallery1     = Pre-Worboys Fingerpost Signs
|gallery2     = Pre-Worboys Direction Signs
|gallery3     = 
|gallery4     = 
Which puts it in both the "Pre-Worboys Fingerpost Signs" and the "Pre-Worboys Direction Signs" galleries.

What I think you meant to do is change it to:

|gallery1     = Pre-Worboys Direction Signs
|gallery2     = 
|gallery3     = 
|gallery4     = 
Which puts it in the "Pre-Worboys Direction Signs" gallery only.
I've sent this one from fingerposts to directions, they seem to vanish pretty sharpish but not appear where I've sent them.
The Wiki has a job queue system, and sometimes they don't appear immediately. Worry not, just check back in a few minutes.
I don't want to wipe them all out by accident if I'm just shifting them around.
Don't worry - you won't. The worst that can happen is that you put it in the wrong gallery, ask for help, and someone will fix it for you. You won't delete the picture itself, and it'll still be available via the relevant road gallery too.
Steven
Motorway Historian

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I've just finished the directions besides a couple of doubles (is there a delete option, if so I'll catch them as well) and should finish the rest now. There was a pile of stop signs in the PW wiki, they came in for a few years in 1964 so in future should go in the regulatory signs straight away, which is where the existing ones are now.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

The Pre-Worboys Directions Signs Gallery is looking a bit big at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas of how to split it up? The easiest solution would be to do it by numbering zone, since the majority involve one or more road numbers at some point.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
SC2

Post by SC2 »

My first instinct would be to split into Direction Signs and Advance Direction signs?

It looks to be about a 50-50 split.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

swarkestonecauseway wrote:My first instinct would be to split into Direction Signs and Advance Direction signs?
That was also my first instinct looking through the gallery :-)
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Okay, I have created Gallery:Pre-Worboys Advance Direction Signs and moved a few photos over. Can somebody else check I've moved the right things?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....