Shepherd & Flock roundabout

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Boring82

Shepherd & Flock roundabout

Post by Boring82 »

I've just updated the destinations for the four outside exits for the Shepherd and Flock Roundabout wiki page. However, I am struggling to describe the internal exit and was wondering if there are any other examples of this type of roundabout in the Wiki?

From the SABRE Wiki: Shepherd and Flock Roundabout :

The Shepherd and Flock Roundabout is a road junction near Farnham, Surrey where the A31 meets the A325. It is named after the pub that sits in the middle of the roundabout.

The pub was originally on the mainline of the A31, but became isolated inside the roundabout when the A325 was diverted away from the town centre in 1973, allowing all through traffic except the A287 to use the A31, that had bypassed the town since 1946.

Around 1995, following completion of

... Read More
Chris Bertram

Re: Shepherd & Flock roundabout

Post by Chris Bertram »

I was going to suggest Birchley Island (M5 J2), which has an electricity substation in the middle, but that entry needs a bit of expansion as well.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Birchley Island :

Birchley Island is a large signalised roundabout at the intersection of the A4034 and A4123. It is located just to the south of the small settlement of Birchfield. The roundabout is of sufficient size to be home to an electricity substation and landscaping in the centre.

The roundabout has a spur linking it with Oldbury Interchange, for access to the M5 in both directions.

Various retail outlets and hotels have been added to the roundabout itself over the years, but

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

I would just do it where the description section above "routes" should be!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

vlad

Post by vlad »

The Darlaston Inn Roundabout (which incidentally I've never heard described by that name) on the A34/A51 has a pub in the middle - it's mentioned in the blurb rather than the exit list.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

From the SABRE Wiki: Darlaston Inn Roundabout :

The Darlaston Inn roundabout is named after the pub in the middle, which existed before the roundabout was built. The River Trent runs under the junction.

The A34 runs from Winchester to Salford.

The A51 runs from Kingsbury, Warwickshire, to Chester. It multiplexes with the A34 for a short section south of this roundabout.

|

... Read More
Toothed Tiger

Post by Toothed Tiger »

Hi. There is a roundabout with a pub in the centre not far from me - it is the Ham and Blackbird roundabout on the A325 in Farnborough, Hampshire. It is a pretty small roundabout with space just for the pub and car park, and with the road being fairly steep on the western sides (the Union Street side).
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

My suggestion would be to extend the table with the following row:

Route.....................To...............................Notes
Unclassified..............The Pub........................Rare internal exit from roundabout

:D