Sheppey Way (B2231 or unclassified)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Sheppey Way (B2231 or unclassified)

Post by roadphotos »

Can anyone tell me if Sheppey Way on the Isle of Sheppey is the B2231 or not, maps and atlases show different classifications for the road. Sheppey Way is the road traffic used to have to use to get onto the Isle of Sheppey before the new A249 Sheppey Crossing was built, it now runs alongside the new A249 from Kingsferry Bridge to the A2500. Ordnance Survey and Phillip's show the road as being the B2231 but A-Z atlases and my AA atlas show the road as being an unclassified minor road (not numbered on maps). This is made even more confusing by the fact that there are no signs on the ground to confirm whether the road is the B2231 or not. Out of interest I had a look at the B2231 on the SABRE Wiki which says that Sheppey Way is part of the B2231 but there was more confusion when I contacted Kent County Council Highways for an answer (they eventually replied), what they told me is that Sheppey Way is still part of the A249 but is de-trunked and is now a publicly maintainable highway as the road runs alongside the new A249 trunk road, this makes things even more confusing as none of my maps show the road as being the A249 and if it was then there would be two A249 roads running alongside each other, this also now gives 3 posibilities for the classification of this road. Does anyone have any information regarding this.
MotorwayPlannerM21

Re: Sheppey Way (B2231 or unclassified)

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

I'd say it is the B2231 as this is what OS says and also what is on the wiki. Since KCC think it is the A249, then they at least recognise it as being a classified road. Logic proves that it cannot be part of the A249, so B2231 is the answer that makes most sense as it is classified and a logical number for it. There are many roads that do not show their numbers on signs, such as the A2045 (another confusing road), so we cannot be sure.

I honestly don't know though but B2231 makes sense.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The only way the OS would call it B2231 is;

* Highways England provided the National Street Gazeteer with updated information when the Sheppey Crossing opened, and Kent CC have failed to update their own records.
* It's a copyright trap designed to snag unauthorised mapmakers using the base data.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Another road that's also on the Isle of Sheppey that I'm not sure about is the B2007. Is Thomsett Way (between the A249 and Rushenden) part of the B2007 or not ?, signs at all 4 roundabouts on the road say that it's the B2007 and the OS maps show Thomsett Way as being the B2007 but seperated from the rest of the B2007 at Queenborough. All other maps and atlases show Thomsett Way as being an unclassified minor road and the SABRE Wiki only shows the original route for the B2007 at Queenborough with no mention of Thomsett Way. Does anyone know more about whether Thomsett Way is part of the B2007 as it seems to be a bit of a mystery.
Darren

Post by Darren »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 Another road that's also on the Isle of Sheppey that I'm not sure about is the B2007. Is Thomsett Way (between the A249 and Rushenden) part of the B2007 or not ?, signs at all 4 roundabouts on the road say that it's the B2007 and the OS maps show Thomsett Way as being the B2007 but seperated from the rest of the B2007 at Queenborough. All other maps and atlases show Thomsett Way as being an unclassified minor road and the SABRE Wiki only shows the original route for the B2007 at Queenborough with no mention of Thomsett Way. Does anyone know more about whether Thomsett Way is part of the B2007 as it seems to be a bit of a mystery.
AFAIK the B2007 now goes along Thomsett Way and along Rushenden Road, with the former B2007 east of there (to Queenborough Corner) now being unclassified. There's no mention any more of the B2007 on signs northbound once you get past the Neatscourt roundabout. Signage at the mini-roundabout in Queenborough was changed to point along Rushenden Road to the A249 rather than along the former B2007.

The whole point of Thomsett Way was to act as a bypass to the industrial areas (and future housing) south of Queenborough, so it makes sense that it's now the B2007.

The signage on the A249 which says Queenborough (B2007) on approach to the Neatscourt roundabout predates the change. Even earlier, before the Neatscourt retail park was open, Queenborough (B2007) was signed as straight ahead.

Google would disagree, of course, but it's way out of date - it still has the B2005 going along the old road past "Toy Town" into Sittingbourne, whereas the B2005 is now Swale Way, the Sittingbourne Northern Relief Road.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks, although if the B2007 has been rerouted along Thomsett Way and Rushenden Road then I still can't understand why the OS maps only show Thomsett Way as the B2007 but not Rushenden Road. The map shows one part of the B2007 seperated from the rest of it. The OS also shows the road that runs past Queenborough Station towards the A249 as still being the B2007 which if as you say the 'B Road' has changed it's route then this would mean that the OS maps are wrong. Also if the B2007 does now run along Thomsett Way and Rushenden Road then the information on the SABRE Wiki and most other maps and atlases is also incorrect.