B1110 history

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

B1110 history

Post by roadphotos »

I've looked at the B1110 on the SABRE Wiki and there's no mention of the fact that the B1110 used to be the road that runs through the village of North Tuddenham east of Dereham. The road was originally the A47 but when The A47 by-pass was constructed to the south of the village the road became the B1110. It stayed like this for a number of years before more recently being downgraded to an unclassified minor road. Interestingly when travelling east on the A47 the sign at the junction for North Tuddenham still reads B1110 when exiting the dual carriageway even though the road is no longer part of the B1110. Also when travelling west the sign at the first Dereham junction also reads B1110 as this is where the road used to rejoin the A47 to the west of North Tuddenham. The B1147 also used to join the A47 here but this has also now been downgraded. The only difference is that the B1147 sign has been patched over but the B1110 sign has not.
Viator

Re: B1110 history

Post by Viator »

roadphotos wrote:I've looked at the B1110 on the SABRE Wiki and there's no mention of the fact that the B1110 used to be the road that runs through the village of North Tuddenham east of Dereham. The road was originally the A47 but when The A47 by-pass was constructed to the south of the village the road became the B1110. It stayed like this for a number of years before more recently being downgraded to an unclassified minor road. Interestingly when travelling east on the A47 the sign at the junction for North Tuddenham still reads B1110 when exiting the dual carriageway even though the road is no longer part of the B1110. Also when travelling west the sign at the first Dereham junction also reads B1110 as this is where the road used to rejoin the A47 to the west of North Tuddenham. The B1147 also used to join the A47 here but this has also now been downgraded. The only difference is that the B1147 sign has been patched over but the B1110 sign has not.
You're quite right that this particular B1110 (as distinct from the current Hoe to Holt B1110) is missing from the Wiki at present.

Just to confirm, before I start work on this, that the two exits you refer to which have signs still referring to the defunct B1110 (Dereham to North Tuddenham) are those at

* TG049137 from the eastbound A47, and
* TG008130 from the westbound A47.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Not quite sure about TGO numbers, can't work it out from my OS map, the sign that still reads B1110 on the eastbound A47 is at the junction for North Tuddenham just east of the village between North Tuddenham and Hockering and the B1110 sign on the westbound A47 is at the junction near Etling Green, both signs are now incorrect.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Have now checked the OS grid references against StreetView and they are correct (even though the signs themselves aren't!). For the record, they translate to 52.6827,1.0306 (1) and 52.6779,0.9696 (2).

Regarding the numbering history, it appears that the Dereham to North Tuddenham stretch was not so much a separate section of the original B1110 (although it later became separated from it) as an eastward extension of it from Dereham once the A47 bypass was completed to meet Norwich Road in the vicinity of Aldiss Park (Dereham FC). The B1110 number was then applied to the old A47 route to here from the town centre.

Later, the A47 dual carriageway was prolonged eastwards on a new, slightly more southerly, alignment to a point just beyond North Tuddenham, and when this happened the old route through the middle of North Tuddenham, now bypassed, became a further extension of the B1110.

To complicate matters, a section of the above route (as far as the Mowles Road turn between Etling Green and North Tuddenham) was also for a while (the whole show is now Class III, of course) numbered as part of a shifted B1147.

(I realize that all of the above is mostly just what you said in your original post -- I just needed to research it all again for myself to get it straight in my own head!)

Will write all this up once I've got a better handle on dates.