The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

The Great C Road hunt!

Post by rileyrob »

Over the last year, a few of us have been working away at getting C class routes onto the Wiki. Many of these are now listed, and thanks to subtly different legislation in Scotland, by the end of the year we should have the majority of Scottish C road routes listed on the Wiki.

We now need your help!

If you live in one of the areas covered (see below), we would appreciate it if you could review your local roads and add details to the pages. Some of the route descriptions are little more than 'The C1 starts at A and heads west to B.' and whilst this may be appropriate on occasion, it would be really good to expand a lot of the pages.

Council areas currently covered on the Wiki can be found on this page: Category:Other_Classified_Roads
Current progress for Scotland can be tracked here: Rileyrob/Scottish_C_Roads

As you can see from a brief browse, most of the Scottish council areas, and several of the English council areas have individual pages for each route which can be improved by wiki novices. For the English routes, many routes need pages to be created, but we are here to help you get started if you fancy tackling these.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
KeithW

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by KeithW »

The C234 Askwith Moor Road is part of the quite decent S2 road from the A59 at Blubberhouses to the A659 at Otley

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.90 ... authuser=0

The route is shown as a C Road on the OS map at http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/a ... pcfg=Roads

I suspect its unclassified as the B6451 runs parallel to it from RAF Menwith Hill on the A59 to Farnley
Reading

Post by Reading »

I just tried to edit the Reading C200 - not sure if it worked or if I did it in the correct style - please comment
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The text looks fine to me, I've added a couple of links in, and most importantly moved the text up the page. It needs to go in between the bits that say {{dab... And {{navbox... Please, otherwise brilliant, carry on!
If you're not sure, there is a preview button at the bottom, so you can check whether what you've done looks right or not before saving.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Is this helpful for the Lincolnshire ones? a map and a spreadsheet of them from a FOI request.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ications_2
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

The Roads Wiki Guide is a helpful resource for people looking to give this a go.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Help :

REDIRECTHelp:Contents

... Read More
Reading

Post by Reading »

rileyrob wrote:The text looks fine to me, I've added a couple of links in, and most importantly moved the text up the page. It needs to go in between the bits that say {{dab... And {{navbox... Please, otherwise brilliant, carry on!
If you're not sure, there is a preview button at the bottom, so you can check whether what you've done looks right or not before saving.
Thanks for the pointer - will do some more when i have some time. Just wanted to get one in whilst i thought i would get feedback
fras

Post by fras »

Any particular reason why we in Britain don't label them like they do in France and Germany ?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

fras wrote:Any particular reason why we in Britain don't label them like they do in France and Germany ?
I'm conscious that the French like to label almost all roads with their number, down to C for communale, and I'm sure I've seen V for vicinale (even more local) in Brittany, but Germany tends to be sparing with its signing of numbers, with only A numbers for Autobahns and unprefixed numbers for Bundesstraßen being visible. I understand that other roads do have numbers, but they are for administrative use in the main.

C roads in England and Wales, at least, are a local classification at the discretion of the council concerned, and not all councils choose to use them. Scotland, as ever, is different (and I have no idea about NI), but even there signing them is very rare.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
fras

Post by fras »

The careful and diligent Germans like to catalogue and number everything ! I have seen road number signs on the smallest of roads, and, as is said, they seem to be for admin purposes, as they aren't used on signs and directions. However, it would certainly make reporting road defects easier, I would have thought.
frediculous_biggs
SABRE Developer

Post by frediculous_biggs »

I wonder if there would be a benefit of signing C roads. I believe the A & B classification was intended to be internal and not public. I suppose they would, like B roads, need to be 3, 4 or 5 digits, and unique across the country.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I suspect that these days there would be very little benefit in signing them as most people navigate using their satnavs... There's perhaps no need for them to be unique - other countries, e.g. France don't bother...

Another thought; I wonder what the longest classified unnumbered road in the country actually is?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Viator

Post by Viator »

c2R wrote:I suspect that these days there would be very little benefit in signing them as most people navigate using their satnavs... There's perhaps no need for them to be unique - other countries, e.g. France don't bother...
Do most people navigate using their satnavs? Do most people even have satnavs? I don't, and I can't think of anyone I know (present company excepted, of course) who does. Though I very probably mix in the wrong circles / am the wrong sort of driver!

Re unique numbers for third-level routes: this would be impossible in a territory the size of GB without enormously long numbers or complex alphanumeric combinations. Even in much smaller Ireland, each of the 31 local roads authorities has its own L-road series, each of which has numbers available in the range L1000 to L99999.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Viator wrote:
c2R wrote:I suspect that these days there would be very little benefit in signing them as most people navigate using their satnavs... There's perhaps no need for them to be unique - other countries, e.g. France don't bother...
Do most people navigate using their satnavs? Do most people even have satnavs? I don't, and I can't think of anyone I know (present company excepted, of course) who does. Though I very probably mix in the wrong circles / am the wrong sort of driver!
I don't have one- but most of the people I know do - when I've occasionally borrowed/hired a car with one built in, I tend not to bother with it for navigation but find the traffic updates quite useful.
Viator wrote: Re unique numbers for third-level routes: this would be impossible in a territory the size of GB without enormously long numbers or complex alphanumeric combinations. Even in much smaller Ireland, each of the 31 local roads authorities has its own L-road series, each of which has numbers available in the range L1000 to L99999.
I agree; there's perhaps a handful from each area that could be put forward for a coherent tertiary network of major routes, but if all Class III roads were included, the numbers would need to be very long indeed to be unique.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Another thought; I wonder what the longest classified unnumbered road in the country actually is?
I think you're going to have a lot of difficulty defining what a "road" is here, with TOTSOs and the like. A couple of good examples I've found near here though which I think are unambiguous are the road leading from the A148 near the A149 junction east to the A1065 at Weasenham St Peter, which is 12.0 miles, and the Ten Mile Bank road from just north of Littleport to Denver, which I make 11.7. I'm sure there are going to be longer examples in Scotland.
[real name Colin]
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

crb11 wrote:
c2R wrote:Another thought; I wonder what the longest classified unnumbered road in the country actually is?
I think you're going to have a lot of difficulty defining what a "road" is here, with TOTSOs and the like. A couple of good examples I've found near here though which I think are unambiguous are the road leading from the A148 near the A149 junction east to the A1065 at Weasenham St Peter, which is 12.0 miles, and the Ten Mile Bank road from just north of Littleport to Denver, which I make 11.7. I'm sure there are going to be longer examples in Scotland.
I'd define it as the actual length of all classified sections of the C road with the unique number maintained by the same authority - clearly some are split over several sections with numerous spurs and TOTSOs.. I've just added up the C10 (Hertfordshire) for example and that's 28.18km (from the sum of my traces).

From the SABRE Wiki: C10 (Hertfordshire) :

The C10 is a long class III road in Hertfordshire (at just over 28km it is the longest class III road in Hertfordshire). It covers a significant distance across the county but is a bit of a mix of multiplexes, missing bits, and severances by more modern roads in the area. It has both rural and urban sections and features sections of single track, busy urban S2 with cars parked on either side of the road, and even a dead end!

... Read More
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Ah apologies. I'd misread your previous post.

I've had a look at the Cambridgeshire list and failed to find anything particularly long (more than 10 miles), although some of the routes are hard to track down...
[real name Colin]
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've found a list of Northern Ireland C roads here: https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/si ... ctions.pdf

It looks like a painful job to make use of that though to turn it into something more coherent... I've started with an entry for C102 (Northern Ireland) ...

From the SABRE Wiki: C102 (Northern Ireland) :

The C102 is a rural road in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It starts on the B147 and from there heads in a south west direction through The Dark Hedges - a tunnel of very old beech trees, which was used as a filming location in the television series Game of Thrones - until it ends at another crossroads, this time on the B15.

In order to preserve the natural environment of the trees, in 2017 a road traffic order was

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The formatting of that NI list is actually a lot better than some of the Svottish ones I've been picking my way through. I'd even be tempted to say that there are less C roads than Aberdeenshire has, bearing inmind that some have got 3,4 or 5 sections listed, if not more.
It does take time, though, it's taken me over a month to do all of Aberdeenshire, Including sorting the list out (in excel) and doing all of the traces, and I've still got D&G to go, which has nearly as many!
Rob.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

rileyrob wrote:It does take time, though, it's taken me over a month to do all of Aberdeenshire, Including sorting the list out (in excel) and doing all of the traces, and I've still got D&G to go, which has nearly as many!
I think that I was spoiled with Hertfordshire's system of having the individual sections already mapped!