The Great C Road hunt!

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: The Great C Road hunt!

Post by wrinkly »

Unless anyone knows better there's a plausible candidate for an 18-mile C road from Shrewsbury via Longden and Pulverbatch to a point on the A489 near Lydham.

Edit: I see from this page that part of it is C7115. No idea what the rest is. The list on the page seems a rather short one in relation to the number of C roads I would have expected to exist in Shropshire.

From the SABRE Wiki: Shropshire Council %28Class III roads%29 :

his is a list of C-class roads maintained by Shropshire County Council. It does not include C-class roads within Telford and Wrekin Council.

| style4 |- !style="width:10%;"|Number !style="width:30%;"|Place |- !C1009 !Trefonen |- !C1010 !Trefonen Road, Morda |- !C1033 !Hordley |- !C1034 !Maesbury Road, Oswestry |- !C1053 !Forton Bank, Montford Bridge |- !C1054 !Milford Road, Baschurch |- !C1061 !Leaton |- !C2073 !Hodnet – Marchamley (and probably northwards, former

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A third Cambridgeshire duplicate C Road discovered - C80 (Cambridgeshire)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: C80 (Cambridgeshire) :
... Read More
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Is there any reason why LAs didn't use Zonal prefixes for their C and Unclassified roads – I admit in a large zone you'd certainly have to go to five digits, or is there just too many short lengths, links, etc., to use a main zone prefix?

Chris Williams
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Is there any reason why LAs didn't use Zonal prefixes for their C and Unclassified roads – I admit in a large zone you'd certainly have to go to five digits, or is there just too many short lengths, links, etc., to use a main zone prefix?
How do you mean? Some LAs do put their C roads into zones, while others do not. Or do you mean follow the A and B zones, so, e.g. Norfolk would only have 1xxx C roads?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Chris Williams
Because they are unique to each Highway Authority - they are not meant to be numbered nationally. There's nothing stopping an Authority from numbering them however they choose, so they could be.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

So, I've found a load of road work schedules for Cornwall Council roads, which includes plenty of 'C' and 'U' roads. So, I thought, I know what I can do. Ten minutes of hunting around the Council website for FOI requests on C and U road classifications in Cornwall. Let's see what they come back with!
Harry
A4174_Guy

Post by A4174_Guy »

Spotted the "C60" being displayed on temporary roadworks signs at the Killingwoldgraves (great name!) roundabout, just outside Beverley. Referring to Killingwoldgraves Lane:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Kil ... 2509?hl=en

Unfortunately, it's not in a very safe position to stop and take a pic.
GC_A690

Post by GC_A690 »

Finally, Sunderland Council (Class III roads) is completed! Now for Newcastle...

From the SABRE Wiki: Sunderland Council (Class III roads) :

The following is a list of Class III roads maintained by Sunderland Council.

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

GC_A690 wrote:Finally, Sunderland Council (Class III roads) is completed! Now for Newcastle...
Well done! it's a very satisfactory feeling!

From the SABRE Wiki: Sunderland Council (Class III roads) :

The following is a list of Class III roads maintained by Sunderland Council.

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Cambridgeshire is complete.
Euan

Post by Euan »

That is Glasgow now completed on the wiki with an unnumbered list of C roads. Unfortunately no numbers have so far been found, but it means that the wiki has now covered every C road in Scotland.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Well done to both of you - especially Euan who has managed to complete Scotland for us by disentangling the limited information available. Hopefully at some point numbers will be found for those councils (predominantly around Glasgow) where they are not yet known, but until then we are as complete as we can be.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

This most excellent sign...
GC_A690

Post by GC_A690 »

What's the lowest standard C road anyone's discovered?

According to Northumberland Council's interactive map, the route straight on - yes, straight on! - at this junction is the C287. Can anyone beat this?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

GC_A690 wrote:What's the lowest standard C road anyone's discovered?

According to Northumberland Council's interactive map, the route straight on - yes, straight on! - at this junction is the C287. Can anyone beat this?

Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire both have a few truncated stubs of road that are still classified.

This is part of the C46 (Cambridgeshire), linking the unclassified Great North Road with a hedge, in Water Newton
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.56115 ... 312!8i6656

I'm also impressed with Walsall's Class III network - essentially the C roads are downgraded roads in the town centre, the rest of the metropolitan borough has none. But they have left the numbering with sufficient gaps for future expansion, choosing C1000-C6000 for their six roads...

From the SABRE Wiki: C46 (Cambridgeshire) :

The C46 maintained by Cambridgeshire Council is a link road between Elton and the A1 at Water Newton.

There is a truncated section of the road within Water Newton that the dual carriageway A1 has bisected.

It is described in the freedom of information request as being:
C46 ELTON GATED ROAD WATER NEWTON
C46 ELTON GATED ROAD ELTON

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote:I'm also impressed with Walsall's Class III network - essentially the C roads are downgraded roads in the town centre, the rest of the metropolitan borough has none. But they have left the numbering with sufficient gaps for future expansion, choosing C1000-C6000 for their six roads...
Yes, there are literally none outside the A4148 Ring Road.

It means that there are oddities such as U99 (Wolverhampton), which is Class III one side of the invisible bureaucrat line, but unclassified on the other - despite clearly having identical traffic flows across the line!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: U99 (Wolverhampton) :

Wolverhampton City Council's locally classified U99 forms a route across some of the eastern suburbs of the city, and as such is heavily used; indeed more so than the B4484 that follows a similar (though more circuitous) route.

The route starts in Wednesfield at the junction of A4124,

... Read More