Anyone for Trams?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Anyone for Trams?

Post by c2R »

I've created a new wiki page called Tramway - Trams are a becoming once again a feature of urban roads within the UK (and never really went away elsewhere in the world); they're also an important feature of the historical road network.

I was going to do some research and write it up to fill the page with content, but figured that there might be someone already on here who has a particular love of trams and their history (clearly pertaining to the infrastructure and signage, rather than the types of tram) - so if anyone else fancies a go at adding some content to the page, please feel free.

Similarly, if anyone wants to have a go at writing something for Trolleybusses then we could do with some detail about them.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Tramway :

A Tramway is a light rail system that can be found in some (predominantly urban) areas where rail vehicles run along roads via dedicated tracks. These may be mixed with road vehicles or inside pedestrianised areas.

Modern tramways systems can be found in:

All

... Read More
Sabrista
Secretary

Re: Anyone for Trams?

Post by Sabrista »

You forgot Nottingham, which also has a modern tram system.

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Sabrista wrote:You forgot Nottingham, which also has a modern tram system.
Birmingham should probably be in there too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Metro
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

I think Blackpool needs a full entry rather than just as a preserved system, as most of the trams operated date from 2011. True, some very venerable additional vehicles are operated at times, but in most respects it is a fully modernised interurban tramway that just happens to date from the 19th century.

Also, what about the Seaton Tramway in Devon? For those unaware, this 2'9" gauge railway operates replica Edwardian style trams on an old railway trackbed for approximately 3 miles from Seaton to Colyton. In case this seems a bit tangential for a roads website, it does have a road interface where it crosses the A5032 with an ungated railway crossing. As an aside, I had a pretty alarming incident in 1991 when using the tramway with my wife and young son: seated in the open balcony upstairs at the front, we realised that a car heading west on the A5032 at some speed was clearly not expecting to find a tram crossing its path :shock: . I'm not sure what the result of hitting a narrow gauge tram would be, but I had grabbed my son and braced, just in case. Fortunately, the car just about managed to stop, no doubt leaving its driver even more shaken than we were!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks Rob for making these changes - everyone else, feel free to add your own knowledge as and when - anyone can edit the wiki...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The Black Country Living Museum has a tramway operating between the entrance building and the village area. This is in addition to the trolleybuses that run on selected days.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Chris Bertram wrote:The Black Country Living Museum has a tramway operating between the entrance building and the village area. This is in addition to the trolleybuses that run on selected days.
The BCLM is a superb day out with plenty for road enthusiasts to marvel over. Proper old road signs, a toll house, old bikes and cars in a 1930s garage, trams and trolleybuses. And then there's the old houses and shops with actors inside to tell you what's what.

Tram enthusiasts will know of the National Tramway Museum at Crich in Derbyshire. A mile of track in a quarry dating back to the days of George Stephenson (of railway fame) is used to run dozens of trams from around the world, but mostly British. Lots of the buildings there have been rescued and rebuilt including the Red Lion pub which was demolished to make way for the A500 Queensway in Stoke on Trent.
Again, it makes for a good day out for all the family. Oh, and they have a Dr Who style TARDIS!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The LRTA website is a good source of info.

http://www.lrta.org/
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

There is a useful resource on local public transport systems including trams and trolley buses at this site
http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transport_history/

On Teesside I have fond memories of the Trolleybuses operated by the Teesside Railless Traction Board (TRTB for short) which ran from 1919 to the early 1970's between North Ormesby, Grangetown and Eston/Normanby.
http://lths.lutsociety.org.uk/library/PDF-062-2.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxOWQhzCunc

Unfortunately not only has the system gone so have many of the communities it served. Most of the homes and businesses in Cargo Fleet, North Ormesby and Grangetown were destroyed when they ran the D2 A66 through there.

There is a collection of more general bus , trolleybus and tram photos here
http://www.sct61.org.uk/

The mecca for all tramway and trolley bus enthusiasts must be the tramway museum at Crich in Derbyshire
https://www.tramway.co.uk/

A lose second is the Beamish Museum in the NEE which has its own tram system
https://www.beamish.org.uk/
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Crich is the mecca for trams certainly, but for trolleybuses it is probably here:http://www.sandtoft.org.uk/. Opening is more restricted, and there is not the general historical interest (or scenic grandeur) of Crich.

The East Anglia Transport Museum near Lowestoft, which I've sadly never got to, offers both trams and trolleybuses: http://eatransportmuseum.co.uk
Last edited by FleetlinePhil on Thu Dec 28, 2017 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

I've been on Black Country Living Museum, Blackpool, Seaton and Crich National Tramway Museum - but used Derby trolleybuses regularly in the '60s until they ended and saw one of the blue (Walsall?) trolleys in operation later during a trip on the A5 across the Midlands.

Tramways were used extensively to shift quarry products and quarrymen, Ffestiniog Railway being the most famous but others on Devon and Cornwall I've walked some of their disused track-beds
Lifelong motorhead
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

On a related matter, Blackpool long had a pre-Worboys, Llewellyn-Smith style, road sign "Tram Pinch". And here's such a sign for sale.

http://www.railwayana.net/NetAuction/Ma ... lot075.htm

Now I worked out what it was, by looking at the road layout that followed. But I wonder how many drivers understood it.

The sign lasted long into the current Worboys signage era, possibly because there was no current TSRGD equivalent.
fras

Post by fras »

Probably the best information on UK tramways within a single book is "Great British Tramway Networks" originally published by the Light Railway Transport League, now called the "Light Rail Transit Association". I have got a copy of the 4th Edition published 1962, and have owned it since the mid 60s ! It contains information on every tramway ever built or planned in the UK and Ireland. There were nine pages of maps in the back of the book plus some in the various chapters. Anybody reading this book will be astonished at the size of some of the networks, and the variety of places that had tramways.

Unfortunately there isn't a similar book on UK trolleybuses, but I once had a book called "Trolleybus Trails" by J. Joyce which I found rather unsatisfying as it had no route maps, and I also found the content rather shallow, in fact there were one or two systems omitted. Joyce wrote a similar book on trams called "Tramway Twilight". Both books were good for photographs but contained no real detailed historical research. There are, of course, books on individual systems, and I have two, one on London Trolleybuses by Hugh Taylor, which is an absolute mine of information, and one on the LCC tramways by Robert J Harley, again, a real mine of information. This contains some wonderful photos of men installing conduit track, the very rare electric pick-up system used by the LCC.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

fras wrote:Probably the best information on UK tramways within a single book is "Great British Tramway Networks" ..... It contains information on every tramway ever built or planned in the UK and Ireland.
Does this include systems that were planned but not built?
At Crich they have a massive map on the wall showing every tram network that ran in the UK. Some places you'd never even consider as having a network.
fras wrote: ....the LCC tramways by Robert J Harley, again, a real mine of information. This contains some wonderful photos of men installing conduit track, the very rare electric pick-up system used by the LCC.
There is a manhole cover outside County Hall which clearly states - London County Council Tramways. I'd walked over it for years before looking down and realising. I assume it connected the public power supply to the trams.
Crich have a scale model of the conduit pickup method showing it worked at points.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

fras wrote:This contains some wonderful photos of men installing conduit track, the very rare electric pick-up system used by the LCC.
Did they use the Lorain system?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Steven wrote:
fras wrote:This contains some wonderful photos of men installing conduit track, the very rare electric pick-up system used by the LCC.
Lorain is quite a different technology, which seems to be making a comeback, probably until the unsafe fault conditions which led to it being dispensed with a century ago happen again.

Conduit has proper continuous conductor rails under the centre of the tracks, accessed through a narrow slot by a special device under the tram which bends around to touch the hidden power rail. They are (putting a highway engineer maintenance hat on) a considerable maintenance nuisance, requiring drainage for rainwater, periodic clearance of mud and leaves, liable to collapse from heavy road traffic, short circuits from thin metal objects which happen to fall through the slot (coins, tinfoil), etc.

London just had them in the central area so the streets "looked nice", and likewise the trams in Washington DC used them.

The latter still has the tracks left as they were, half a century after Washington's trams were given up, to maintain a "historic aspect". Not only that, but some were recently refurbished at considerable expense as the carriageway was steadily collapsing around them. Here's a section

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.90778 ... 312!8i6656

London has bits left as well

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51904 ... 312!8i6656
fras

Post by fras »

Steven wrote:
Wolvrhampton used a stud-contact system for power pickup for some years, but like all these clever wheezes to avoid overhead wires, they converted in the end because the system was too unreliable and costly to maintain. On the other hand the London conduit system was in service for 50 years, and the one in Washington DC, USA until the 60s.

Here's a site that describes the London conduit system

https://dewi.ca/trains/conduit/ploughs.html

The London system was by far the best because the system allowed for a very rapid switch between conduit and overhead operation. This was essential as the system expanded and the cost of conduit track became a real burden, also LCC cars ran into Croydon and other towns that had separately owned systema.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Assuming it ever actually happens - another delay was reported in yesterdays local rag - Wolverhampton will be having wireless trams again, but with battery power this time.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

WHBM wrote:Conduit has proper continuous conductor rails under the centre of the tracks, accessed through a narrow slot by a special device under the tram which bends around to touch the hidden power rail. They are (putting a highway engineer maintenance hat on) a considerable maintenance nuisance, requiring drainage for rainwater, periodic clearance of mud and leaves, liable to collapse from heavy road traffic, short circuits from thin metal objects which happen to fall through the slot (coins, tinfoil), etc.

London just had them in the central area so the streets "looked nice", and likewise the trams in Washington DC used them.
fras wrote:Here's a site that describes the London conduit system

https://dewi.ca/trains/conduit/ploughs.html

The London system was by far the best because the system allowed for a very rapid switch between conduit and overhead operation. This was essential as the system expanded and the cost of conduit track became a real burden, also LCC cars ran into Croydon and other towns that had separately owned systema.
Thank you both - very interesting!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

fras wrote:The London system was by far the best because the system allowed for a very rapid switch between conduit and overhead operation. This was essential as the system expanded and the cost of conduit track became a real burden, also LCC cars ran into Croydon and other towns that had separately owned systema.
It wasn't particularly The Best because the changeover points were notably labour intensive. Each was fully staffed by two or three labourers, and an inspector in charge, during all operating hours. They were necessarily right in the middle of the road, the two tracks splayed out around them. At the start and end of the day there would need to be a delivery, and later collection, of the float of spare "plough" collectors, which are each quite hefty pieces of kit. If there was any disorganisation of the service which led to trams in one direction but not the other being diverted by an alternative route, stuck downroute behind a breakdown, or even in the build up from the depot direction to peak service, they could either run out of these collectors, or have too many for the parking arrangement for them.