Anyone for Trams?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Viator

Re: Anyone for Trams?

Post by Viator »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 17:52
Viator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 18:00 Modern trolleybuses of the kind you describe (with batteries to allow for uninterrupted travel through gaps in the overhead) are, however, returning to Prague: https://youtu.be/TJQnKtaQcac
Trolleybus (singular) at present. I did put a post on the trolleybus thread after I'd been on the route in March. To recap, currently ( :D pun vaguely intended) just one vehicle is operating an hourly service, just in case that is not obvious from the the YouTube clip, with thirty minutes out of each hour spent recharging at Palmovka.
Yes, sorry: I didn't make it clear that when I said "trolleybuses are returning" it was with the same sort of future-tense meaning as "I'm decorating the kitchen" -- i.e. I've bought some paint and tried out the new roller on that bit by the window: with any luck I'll get the whole job done before next spring...

I missed your very informative post in the trolleybus thread, Phil. I'm amazed by the coincidence that I was in Prague at the very same time as you, and I was there principally to take a good look at the public transport system. I'm kicking myself now, though, because although I passed through both Letňany and Palmovka several times (changing between buses, metro, and trams) I totally failed to spot the trolleybus installations at either hub (only stumbled across that video after getting home). :cry: :cry:

I can report, by the way -- you won't need me to tell you this! -- that public transport in the Czech capital is: excellent. My appreciation was very much enhanced by the fact that at my age travel on the entire system was free (and even on "heavy rail" in the country as a whole I had to pay only 25% of the, already cheap, full fare).

I know that people generally go to Prague to enjoy the city's architectural beauty -- and I did a bit of that too, but at 7 a.m., before the tourists have got up -- but (call me mad, and most people do) what I really enjoyed was "projects" like doing the whole metro system in one go, taking buses between the termini at the six line ends. It can be done in precisely four hours, by the way.
FleetlinePhil

Re: Anyone for Trams?

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Viator wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 00:21
FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 17:52
Viator wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 18:00 Modern trolleybuses of the kind you describe (with batteries to allow for uninterrupted travel through gaps in the overhead) are, however, returning to Prague: https://youtu.be/TJQnKtaQcac
Trolleybus (singular) at present. I did put a post on the trolleybus thread after I'd been on the route in March. To recap, currently ( :D pun vaguely intended) just one vehicle is operating an hourly service, just in case that is not obvious from the the YouTube clip, with thirty minutes out of each hour spent recharging at Palmovka.
Yes, sorry: I didn't make it clear that when I said "trolleybuses are returning" it was with the same sort of future-tense meaning as "I'm decorating the kitchen" -- i.e. I've bought some paint and tried out the new roller on that bit by the window: with any luck I'll get the whole job done before next spring...

I missed your very informative post in the trolleybus thread, Phil. I'm amazed by the coincidence that I was in Prague at the very same time as you, and I was there principally to take a good look at the public transport system. I'm kicking myself now, though, because although I passed through both Letňany and Palmovka several times (changing between buses, metro, and trams) I totally failed to spot the trolleybus installations at either hub (only stumbled across that video after getting home). :cry: :cry:

I can report, by the way -- you won't need me to tell you this! -- that public transport in the Czech capital is: excellent. My appreciation was very much enhanced by the fact that at my age travel on the entire system was free (and even on "heavy rail" in the country as a whole I had to pay only 25% of the, already cheap, full fare).

I know that people generally go to Prague to enjoy the city's architectural beauty -- and I did a bit of that too, but at 7 a.m., before the tourists have got up -- but (call me mad, and most people do) what I really enjoyed was "projects" like doing the whole metro system in one go, taking buses between the termini at the six line ends. It can be done in precisely four hours, by the way.
No apology needed, and a coincidence indeed! I must confess I only discovered the trolleybus trial a few days before I went, when I noticed the non-standard line number (58) on a pdf network map. and started digging into the timetables on DPP's website.

I agree about getting out in the mornings, although in my case it is for birdwatching, weather permitting. There are several excellent areas of woodland within the city, with Black Woodpecker the target bird for me, successfully located at two sites this time. My March trip fortunately offered decent mornings throughout, in fact it was only the Thursday afternoon when I did the trolleybus line that was dodgy. I got off at the top of the escarpment at Prosek and found myself in a horizantal hailstorm for a couple of minutes.

Afternoons and evenings are spent visiting the ever-growing number of brewpubs and beer bars - my total for the Czech Republic crept into three figures on this last trip, although a few of those have been in other cities. The public transport network is essential for this, of course, and I've certainly been to many parts of the city that tourists (beer geeks aside :D ) rarely get to.