B roads in Wick

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

B roads in Wick

Post by rileyrob »

The B9159 number appears to have been allocated to its route in Wick in c1935 when the A9 was moved and a lot of roads further south were renumbered in the B916x sequence. A very old post (2004) by DavidB suggests that the number was used to renumber the B874. However, the B874 ran south of the River and has since been the A896, A882 and most recently A8002 as far as we can ascertain. The B9159 always appears to have run north of the river, which set me thinking.

The B916x numbers mostly replaced B86x numbers, with the x being constant. The B8059 is first shown on the 1939 map, and is not on earlier (1934/1932) maps that we currently have access to. Is it therefore possible that the B9159 was a renumbering of a currently unknown B8059?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B9159 :

The B9159 is a short road in Wick. Although previously thought to be defunct, it is still listed by the Highland Council as a classified road, and still marked on the OS online mapping top zoom level.

Starting on the A99 where it turns from Bridge Street into the High Street, the B9159 is the 'other', eastern arm of the High Street. However, there is already a problem, as this piece of the

... Read More