Roads meeting other classified roads with the same number

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Roads meeting other classified roads with the same number

Post by Owain »

c2R wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 14:28Are there any others that I've missed in this category:

Category:Roads which meet another road of the same number but different classification
You can add the A7 and B7 (Northern Ireland) to your list; they meet at Crossgar.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Owain wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:46
c2R wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 14:28Are there any others that I've missed in this category:

Category:Roads which meet another road of the same number but different classification
You can add the A7 and B7 (Northern Ireland) to your list; they meet at Crossgar.
Done - cheers for that.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Euan

Post by Euan »

The C9 in the Falkirk council area falls into this category as it meets the A9 between Larbert and Bannockburn. It is also worth noting that this number is retained as the road continues into the Stirling council area to meet the A872 near Stirling Services, but the two segments of the C9 are separate entries on the wiki due to the different local authorities. Assuming suffixed road numbers can be accepted, the C97S meets the A97 between Huntly and Aberchirder acting as a link to the B9001 nearby. So the Falkirk C9 and the Aberdeenshire C97S can be added to the category.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

The C12 in Northern Ireland crosses the B12 along the stretch between Aghalee and Glenavy:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... n_Ireland)
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

From the SABRE Wiki: C12 %28Northern Ireland%29 :

The C12 commences on the A26 and briefly follows the latter's former alignment southwards into Ballinderry. Before long however, there is a TOTSO and the road turns off to the right heading north west. The road is generally straight as it makes its way through the fairly flat and lowland landscape with only a couple of serious bends close to where it approaches the B12 at a crossroads. After the crossroads, the road is slightly

... Read More
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

The A5284 meets the B5284 at the Plumgarths roundabout northwest of Kendal.
Euan

Post by Euan »

The case of the A5284 and B5284 definitely seems to be a deliberate one as the "5284" does form a roughly continuous route. The A4289/B4289 and A76/B76 (NI) also seem to follow a similar combined route.

As there are generally more B roads than A roads, like-numbers will slowly diverge away from each other geographically when moving outward from the hub and so unintentional meetings of the same road of a different class are more likely to occur closer to the road hub of the numbering zone concerned.

Take zone 8 for example: the A803 and B803 meet each other in Falkirk relatively near the start of the zone from the Edinburgh hub, but by the time you have reached the Outer Hebrides you are sitting on A859 on one scale and B898 (not Strathtay, the original one!) on the other.

However with the addition of new numbers, rerouting and renumbering right from the very start of the system there are many cases where this principle is no longer relevant and so it is still perfectly possible to find a pair of different classes of road with the same number hundreds of miles away from the zone's hub. This does of course only apply for A and B roads meeting each other, with other factors to consider for motorways and C roads.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Euan wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 17:07 The case of the A5284 and B5284 definitely seems to be a deliberate one as the "5284" does form a roughly continuous route.
It appears that the A5284 (former A591) was originally numbered as the B5284 but it was recognised very quickly that the road from the A591 into Kendal had to be A class, and in more recent years, the A5284 is used by many drivers coming up from the south as a means of accessing the A6 towards Shap, the A685 and A684 without having to negotiate the narrow streets and one-way system in Kendal town centre. The signage on the A591/A6 multiplex south of Kendal encourages traffic heading for Shap, Brough and Sedbergh to continue on the A591 up to the Plumgarths roundabout before turning right to join the A5284.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Another one from Northern Ireland: the A26 and the C26.

See here:
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... n_Ireland)

I may well find more of these while adding the NI class III roads to the wiki, but the B numbers run out a bit after 200, except for a few predominantly urban-based routes in the lower 500s. There are also some three-digit urban A roads with numbers just over 500. So therefore any other cases will most likely be found before ~C200, but there is a chance that I could find a case just after ~C500. However the C road numbers may be ordered by county and the C5xx range may not be found anywhere near Belfast or Derry, but you never know. So far it seems to be that the two-digit C roads are based primarily in County Antrim, but no doubt as I continue I will be able to detect further patterns in the other counties.

From the SABRE Wiki: C26 %28Northern Ireland%29 :

The C26 is a rather lengthy C road which starts on the six-way Nutts Corner Roundabout on the A26 in south County Antrim. From here it heads north east to meet the B39 along the "Seven Mile Straight" just south east of Loanends. The road resumes from a junction just along the road and continues to meander in a generally north eastward direction. Along the way it crosses the C27 at a slightly

... Read More
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

A5120 meets B5120 at M1/J12.

(I tried to edit the page myself but perhaps I don't have permissions? I get a heading with [[Category:Miscellaneous information]] but no details underneath).
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

nick_dunn wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:32 A5120 meets B5120 at M1/J12.

(I tried to edit the page myself but perhaps I don't have permissions? I get a heading with [[Category:Miscellaneous information]] but no details underneath).
No, you do have permissions to do things on there, it's just that the category page is automatically populated from the individual pages.

To fix this, you need to add

Code: Select all

[[Category:Roads which meet another road of the same number but different classification]]
right at the end of each road page.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Al__S

Post by Al__S »

ForestChav wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 21:27

The Scottish ones are effectively Ax(M)s in that they replace the A-road whose corridor they take, so this point will always apply to them.
Not quite true? The A9 and M9 have a junction at J5, and the A9 and M9 then both run to the Keir Roundabout for their second junction, so they don't meet end-on in the manner that an Ax(M) will always meet it's Ax. The A8 has various sections, some of which run roughly parallel to the M8- again, the M8 and A8 never meet end-on (as in, the end of both roads). The M74, M77, M80 and arguably the M90 as well

The A73 never meets the M73 at all- and the A74(M) never meets the A74.

In fact, of the Scottish motorways, only the M876, M898 and A823(M) that meet their Ax versions end on
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Al__S wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 19:53 Not quite true? The A9 and M9 have a junction at J5, and the A9 and M9 then both run to the Keir Roundabout for their second junction, so they don't meet end-on in the manner that an Ax(M) will always meet it's Ax. The A8 has various sections, some of which run roughly parallel to the M8- again, the M8 and A8 never meet end-on (as in, the end of both roads). The M74, M77, M80 and arguably the M90 as well
That said, the M8 does meet the A8 end-on (but you can also choose to continue along the A8 rather than the M8 if you're heading from Greenock), and the same with the M9/A9 south of Dunblane.

While historically the M90 Dundee route was the M85, it is the mainline coming from Edinburgh so I'd argue it is indeed the "main" route rather than the Perth spur. From that point of view, 3 of the 5 ends of the M90 do meet the A90 (junction 11, junction 1A, junction 1).
Al__S wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 19:53 The A73 never meets the M73 at all- and the A74(M) never meets the A74.
The A74 and the M74 do meet of course, but it's not the end of either road.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Ok, so I cheated a bit...

osm=# select distinct a.ref from planet_osm_line a join planet_osm_line b on st_dwithin(a.way,b.way,1) where a.britain and b.britain and a.ref is not null and b.ref is not null and a.ref like 'A%' and b.ref like 'B%' and a.ref=replace(b.ref,'B','A') order by a.ref;

ref
-------
A
A105
A1101
A1120
A25
A300
A3013
A4289
A45
A5120
A5137
A5207
A6007
A7
A700
A701
A803
A814
A908
(19 rows)

(The A5207 looks like a mapping error, though.)
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Tater
Location: Darlington, County Durham or (sometimes) Tattershall, Lincolnshire

Post by Tater »

M180 and A180 meet end on near Humberside Airport
MOTORWAYS TRAVELLED: M1, M3, M4, M5, M6, M18, M25, M27, M40, M42, M50, M60, M62, M180, A1(M), A3(M), A66(M), A167(M), A194(M)
A F99 TRAVELLED: A1, A3, A15, A16, A17, A18, A19, A27, A30, A39, A40, A41, A46, A47, A52, A57, A61, A62, A63, A64, A66, A67, A68, A69, A90