Ayrshire B Roads

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Ayrshire B Roads

Post by Euan »

There are a few B roads across Ayrshire which appear to have questionable status. The following roads come to my attention:

:arrow: B7035 - there is a link road at St Quivox with this number as well as a longer route between Girvan and Dailly via a multiplex with the B734. Both routes are regarded as "current" on the wiki despite South Ayrshire Council now recognising the St Quivox road as the C150. The Dailly route is shown as a B road on most maps now whereas the St Quivox route is generally not seen as a B road anymore.
:arrow: B7044 - this road is numbered C59 by South Ayrshire Council and their road list makes no mention of the B7044 number. Many non OS maps are no longer showing this road to be a B road, but OS still are. Signage on the A77 at Ballantrae pointing to this road now appears to have the number covered up. However, the wiki does not show this road to be defunct.
:arrow: B764 - many maps as well as the wiki have suggested that this route which starts in East Kilbride only reaches the far end of Eaglesham and that it formerly crossed the moor to meet the A77 further south. However, other than that I don't see much evidence indicating that the B764 was scaled back from the A77 at all. Both East Ayrshire Council and East Renfrewshire Council accept that the route covers the whole road according to their road lists and there is signage at the A77 junction acknowledging this number.
:arrow: B728 - this road is in Ardrossan. North Ayrshire Council recognise the road with this number despite maps showing the road to be unclassified. However, the wiki now believes that this road does exist and I think this one is probably resolved.

As for the other roads mentioned, does the wiki need to be updated? Any other thoughts?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
rileyrob

Re: Ayrshire B Roads

Post by rileyrob »

The wiki definitely needs to detail the uncertainty over the routes noted. However, as you have found different sources tell different stories, so I think it would be wrong at this stage to move completely from the one position to the other.

For the B7035 / B7044 maybe change them to defunct, but with a disclaimer in the text to say that we are not 100% confident that they have been downgraded.
The B764, I always though was an odd curtailment, and unless there is a C number also attributed to it, I think we need to change it back to full length, again with an explanation in the text.
The B728 is very short, and we have found before that very short B roads do get overlooked at times. However, I felt that the balance of probabilities was that it was still current.

The council list is theoretically the correct source, but as we have found right across Scotland they are rarely up to date, nor indeed 100% accurate. Likewise with the OS, who I suspect are relying on similar sources to ourselves a lot of the time (ie: council data; signage on the ground, historic position etc). Most other mapping sources are somewhat less thorough, and Google and OSM in particular can be edited by almost anyone, so can reflect someones personal belief / opinion rather than reality.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Euan

Post by Euan »

I would agree. Sometimes only some maps will reflect official changes and can often open up some doubt about the status of the roads.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

Euan wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 08:58 There are a few B roads across Ayrshire which appear to have questionable status. The following roads come to my attention:

:arrow: B7035 - there is a link road at St Quivox with this number as well as a longer route between Girvan and Dailly via a multiplex with the B734. Both routes are regarded as "current" on the wiki despite South Ayrshire Council now recognising the St Quivox road as the C150. The Dailly route is shown as a B road on most maps now whereas the St Quivox route is generally not seen as a B road anymore.
:arrow: B7044 - this road is numbered C59 by South Ayrshire Council and their road list makes no mention of the B7044 number. Many non OS maps are no longer showing this road to be a B road, but OS still are. Signage on the A77 at Ballantrae pointing to this road now appears to have the number covered up. However, the wiki does not show this road to be defunct.
I have just come across this old South Ayrshire Council document seemingly relating to speed restrictions on various roads in the area:
https://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/documents/roads1.pdf

It dates back to 2008 and therefore predates the downgrading of the B7044 and it refers to its former route allocation of Stinchar Road as such. However, the document also describes what is now part of the B7035 on the east side of Girvan as the C59: "Glendoune Houdston Road (C59)".

As I've pointed out above, this number turns out to now be the allocation for the former B7044 at Ballantrae. That would suggest to me that the changes to the B7035 and B7044 may have happened at the same time as each other and could potentially have resulted in a "cascading" of numbers with the B7035 moving from St Quivox to Girvan freeing up the C59 to be used on the old B7044 route.

The AA road atlases that I have do back this up somewhat with them showing both of these changes occurring between the annual publications in mid 2013 and mid 2014.

Clearly this does not take into account the eastern segment of the new B7035 between Dailly and Old Dailly, however I have seen a number of indications from things like road closure notices and gritting route descriptions that it may originally have been part of the C30 (South Ayrshire) which would make the existing route a mere branch of a once much longer route.

Given that the B7035 route was upgraded to B class you would think that there would be quite a decent chance that it was previously C class throughout, so these old numberings would address the question of how the route might have fitted into the Ayrshire C road numbering system.

From the SABRE Wiki: C30 (South Ayrshire) :

The C30 is a short link to the east of Old Dailly. It starts on the B743 at Penkill and heads north east to meet the (possible) B7035 route.

... Read More