B753 Coatbridge

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

B753 Coatbridge

Post by rileyrob »

Following the recent addition of the 1936 10 mile map to Sabre Maps, I've noticed that the B753 to the south of Coatbridge Town Centre is coloured Red, as in an A road, on the 1932 and 1936 sheets. The route still largely follows its 1922 route, and is back to purple on the 1939 sheet.
I've looked on old-maps, and the only clear and relevant sheet is the 1936-39 1:2500, which shows the western part of the loop as the B753, and the eastern half (erroneously?) as the B758. the 1935-8 1:10560 seems to say B753 at the eastern end of the route. However, both these maps probably post-date 1936, as they seem to show the A89 in place of the A8.

My thought, therefore, is is it possible that the B753 was temporarily upgraded to an A road to help take traffic away from Coatbridge town centre, prior to the opening of the Glasgow - Edinburgh new A8 route? If so, it could account for one of the A80xx numbers which are so far unaccounted for (or even the original A898?). Or was it just a mapping error?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B753 :

The B753 forms a suburban loop to the south of Coatbridge town centre.

The route starts at a roundabout on the A89 (former A8), Bank Street, to the west of the town centre and heads south along Dundyvan Road. After passing between a church and school, the route becomes more residential with older blocks of flats rising to four or five stories on either side. It then passes

... Read More