C264 (NI)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

C264 (NI)

Post by Euan »

The other day I was browsing Roads.org and had a look at the page all about C roads. On the page are many photos of road signs with C numbers on them. One of the pictures is of the Newtownards area in Northern Ireland with a sign on the approach to a junction indicating "Newtownards A20" left and "Belfast C264" right. I presume the C264 to be defunct as it does not appear on the NI class III segment list, but does anyone know where exactly the picture is taken from and whether it is an old picture?

https://www.roads.org.uk/photo/c-roads
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
bothar

Re: C264 (NI)

Post by bothar »

nirs is the poster you need for this one!

my best guess is that the present D2 A20 is on the former C264
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

The present A20 D2 was only built in 1979 or so. There was a minor road along some of it (the Old Belfast Road) which I don't believe was ever classified - it is currently a cul de sac.

The story of the sign on Chris's site (junction of Holywood Road and Belfast Road) which has been superseded by the differently incorrect C263 signs here, belongs to the next junction east (Ballybarnes Road). Once upon a long ago, the two roads converged on this point, but a decision was made to divert both to T junctions. I think that Holywood Road was diverted first, possibly before the A20 was transferred to Kempe Stones Road, because it had green A20 signs.

The green A20 flag signs at the bottom of Ballybarnes Road were moved to the new junction. When the Belfast bound one needed to be replaced, it was replaced (correctly) with a single white flag for C264. The Newtownards flag sign was grand, so it was left alone.

Alas, when the Holywood Road signs were replaced, they just replicated the signs at the bottom of Ballybarnes Road. Oops.

(this is one I know better than Wesley - I lived in the area at the time!)

For all of the above reasons, incidentally, I'm going to open a conversation on the talk page.
Euan

Post by Euan »

I've now added C264 (Northern Ireland) to the wiki which turns out to have been Belfast Road, the old A20 between Newtownards and Dundonald. It has presumably since been absorbed by the C263.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths

From the SABRE Wiki: C264 (Northern Ireland) :

The C264 is the old number of Belfast Road, the former A20 between Newtownards and Dundonald via Ballybarnes. The road is in its entirety now part of the C263.

... Read More
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

I think that was premature, if I may say so - we would need to check the current designations first.

It is conceivable that the C263 goes left and the C264 towards Belfast was actually correct. The Belfast Gazette suggests that C264 used to be the Old Belfast Road, which I referenced above, but that doesn't account for the disconnect between the dead end of the Old Belfast Road and Belfast Road, unless it continues along the Milecross Road or Ballyrogan Road.

I'll send off an EIR request at some stage.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've linked back to this thread from the talk page.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Sorry Chris, I’ve checked out the current list (I might ask for an update!) and you’re right about the route of the C263.

Later I’ll double check what the remnant of the Old Belfast Road is nowadays. In NI, U roads appear to be a defined area of local roads and streets between and connecting to other roads, whereas classes I-III are defined routes.