A6 Page – Preston to Lancaster

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris56000

A6 Page – Preston to Lancaster

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Unfortunately piecemeal development and spiteful politically imposed low speed limits on the part of Lancs C.C. have turned what was once a reasonably fast and pleasant M6 diversion into a long semi–urbanized crawl, taking an hour–and–a–half from the end of the built–up area of Lancaster to M55 J1 even in a car!

I have updated the A6 page with a more accurate description of this section, verified by recent car and bus trips along it.

Chris Williams
ScottB5411

Re: A6 Page – Preston to Lancaster

Post by ScottB5411 »

I drove a coach from Preston to Lancaster up the A6 whilst I was over in Feb/March and stopped off for a butty north of Garstang and it took me 44 minutes from M55 J1 to Lancaster Infirmary, a journey of 18 miles with a 5-8 minute stop in a coach, even the service 40/41 is only timetabled 1 hour from Preston to Lancaster except in rush hour :confused:

I removed the political reference on the page.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A6 Page – Preston to Lancaster

Post by c2R »

Thanks Chris, Scott, and Steven in improving this page and adding additional detail.

Chris, while we encourage contributions to the wiki local knowledge is wonderful, we are trying to write and maintain the pages in a more neutral way than has been the case in the past - local authorities operate within the boundaries of guidance, and while it's made the road far less enjoyable to drive, there is a demand for housing and Lancashire have opted to build a lot of it along an A road bypassed by a motorway and consequently reduce the speed limit and provide facilities for non motorised traffic. At the end of the day, traffic travelling between Preston and Manchester should use the M6, and so the A6 here really is a local road with all that this implies. I'm not keen on soulless low density housing and ill thought out, not joined up NMU provision either, but it's essentially the result of government policy and the wiki isn't the place to be expressing a point of view on it.

Sorry to spoil the party!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps